Help!!! Looking for Reading First Teachers!!!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by NC1stGradeTeach, Aug 29, 2009.

1. NC1stGradeTeach

NC1stGradeTeach Rookie

Aug 29, 2009

Hello everyone!!! This is my first year as a classroom teacher at a Reading First School. I am looking for any first grade teacher working at a Reading First School that uses Harcourt Reading Series. I want to know how did you start your learning centers and how to you teach your students the procedures for knowing their learning center groups and reading groups. I am soooo confused about that :dizzy::dizzy:--- having two separate sets of groups --- reading groups and learning center group!! Any :help: would be greatly appreciated!!!!

3. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

I do literacy stations. 2 partners go to each station. To make it easy I taped a small piece of paper to each students desk. The paper tells them where to go every day.
    I take my time teacher the procedures. We learn about one station at a time, and then we practice it for a day or two. It takes about a month to learn all of the stations and practice them correctly.

4. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

Do you have a RF coach? Our school has one and she does an awesome job scheduling all the components and modeling what to do. Reading First is an incredibly time consuming effort for everyone.
    Our teachers were wiped out that first year with lots of meetings, progress monitoring and trying to fit everything around those 90 minute blocks. Good Luck!!!

5. NC1stGradeTeach

NC1stGradeTeach Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

Sooooooooo is four days of school enough time to start literacy centers?????

6. NC1stGradeTeach

NC1stGradeTeach Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

I have heard of coaches going into classrooms and really helping out----but I don't know what I am going to do:( this is my school's last year of Reading First. Thanks for the encouragement!!!

7. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

I would not start stations or centers after only four days. I won't start mine until at least next week. That would give us nine days in school.