Help...long post...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JoCoTchr, Jul 8, 2008.

1. JoCoTchr

JoCoTchr Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I am a new poster here, so please be patient with me. I am looking for some advice. :sorry: Last summer my family (sons and DH) moved to NC as I had just graduated and was looking for a job as a teacher. Teaching is my 2nd career. :p I took a job in the middle school, thinking that is where my passion was. After a rough year I decided that truly I am better suited for upper elementary school. However, I told my p that I would come back if I didn't find anything this summer. Well, I had two interviews (the first time I had face to face interviews - I got my job based on a phone interview...sorry, I am off track!) but they didn't go very well, very stiff and formal. I have yet to receive a call from the other elementary schools to which I have applied. What do I do? How long do I wait before resigning myself to the fact that I have to go back to MS? :help:

3. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jul 8, 2008

Welcome Aboard!

Are you under contract currently? If so, your contract should have explicit time frames for being able to get out of it. My deadline is July 14th. After that time I would be considered breaking my contract. If you do not have a contract them keep pushing. Apply on line to districts that you are willing to work in or particular schools, watch the job postings, go to job fairs if possible. Don't give up. Last year I was hired two weeks before school started:)

4. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

We are just now getting into the meat of the hiring season. I didn't get my position last year until two weeks into the school year.

5. JoCoTchr

JoCoTchr Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

Looking in the same county

I am looking in the same county that I currently teach. I really don't want to change counties - my own children and I are on the same schedule. I also wasn't hired until Aug. last year, however all transfers have to be completed by June 30. My P is less likely to let me go the further into the season that we get. :sorry: to be such a downer - I am just at a loss for what to do next, since I've already applied for everything that is currently posted?! I just hate this hurry up and wait mode. :unsure:

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

Unfortunately I don't have any great advice for you. I agree with other posters- you need to check your contract for a timeframe. Otherwise, you may need to stick it out one more year. I know last year was rough, but I'm sure something good came out of it...so hopefully you can build on that if you need to go back this year. Good luck!

7. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 8, 2008

Check your contract; if it does not specify, call your P and ask how much time you need to give. I'd say a month to six weeks is reasonable. But that doesn't give you long.

8. JoCoTchr

JoCoTchr Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

Okay teaching MS

Okay, so I have officially resigned myself to teaching MS. But I am okay with this :confused: - yes because I have to be. I have awesome teammates who can help me through anything!! :wub: Next year I'll try again and hopefully something elementary will come about. I can do this!!! Hmmm.... maybe I need to do something with a train theme this year.... I think I can... I think I can.... :D