Help!! Lesson on habitats

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Aspiringinstruc, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

Sep 23, 2011

Hello, I am currently a student teacher and I must teach a lesson about marshes/swamps specifically the Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia. My supervising teacher gave me the option of using a (dull) powerpoint presentation and just using that to teach it but I want to do something better, something fun. I bought a book called "Deep in the Swamp" on amazon.com which is a children's book about the Okefenokee swamp and I know that would be a great opener. But what can I do as a great activity? I need suggestions please...save me from this powerpoint boredom!:)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2011

4. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

Sep 24, 2011

its for 3rd grade thanks for the site ill take a look.

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2011

I did an inquiry activity focused on camouflage. I took the students to the grass outside in a circle and scattered colored toothpicks in the circle (make sure some are green). the students pretended to be hawks and swoop up the toothpicks. With no instruction, the students concluded that if an animal is the color of their surroundings, they are better protected. I used it with 4th graders. This could be part of a habitat study?

6. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Sep 24, 2011

When we study habitats, I like to do dioramas or murals. Students also write information about the habitat. We also do some classifying and compare/contrast thinking maps about life in the habitat. It may depend on how much time you have and how indepth the lesson is. I like our habitat unit!!

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 25, 2011

Yeah! someone brought up dioramas. We did habitat dioramas in first grade. You need each child to bring a shoe box in, and they create a habitat inside. You can have them bring materials from home and create it in class. It is really fun to see their imaginations going wild! And they learn a lot.

8. WhoDatTeacher

WhoDatTeacher Rookie

Sep 25, 2011

Well maybe you could use the powerpoint as a quiz tool. Split the class in half and have them answer questions posed from the powerpoint. You could also make these questions multiple choice so you can have students show their hands in order to answer each question.
    On the other hand maybe you could have them create a drawing and writing piece to explain what animal they are that lives in the marsh/swamp and what they do all day.

9. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 25, 2011

This made me think of PowerPoint Jeopardy. I love that. Some templates even have the music!