Help! Kids run out of work and go crazy!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. Scarlet, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Ms. Scarlet

Ms. Scarlet Rookie

Feb 13, 2011

Alright here's the situation. I started a three-day assignment on Friday so I still have to show up Monday (tomorrow) and Tuesday. This is high school.

The teacher I'm subbing for left detailed plans and is very organized (a rare treat). However, he didn't leave them enough work to keep them busy. There are only four periods a day (I have one free), but they are an hour and a half long! So I start the day telling them what will be going on and I give them their assignments. Of course not all at once. I give them one, wait until everyone is done and then hand out the next. But they STILL manage to get done about a half hour early or more. So they of course get rowdy.

I am at fault too because I try to be permissive thinking that they are young adults. I know the teacher I'm in for is very strict and threatened them with detentions if I leave their names. I would feel awful doing that so I think I will explain to them that they still have two days left to make it up to me and I will erase their names. However I need something to do with them if they should run out of work again. Any ideas on any of this?

Thanks!

Oh PS- I have to take them to the computer lab this week. Any thoughts on how I can survive that?

3. StellatheSub

StellatheSub Rookie

Feb 13, 2011

What subject are you teaching? You may be able to find a way to stretch out the work or you could play a game with them where you quiz them on the material they are working on. All you do is divide the class in to two teams, have one person come up from each team, give them a question, see who can write the correct answer first. You need two dry erase markers and you keep tallies to track points. You can also do a read aloud during the half hour period of a good YA book. Just go to the school library and check one out.

4. Ms. Scarlet

Ms. Scarlet Rookie

Feb 13, 2011

Well, it's biology. I'm a social studies person and it's hard for me to quiz them b/c I don't have a book or vocab list or anything. I don't think reading YA would keep them busy either because these guys are like 16.

5. StellatheSub

StellatheSub Rookie

Feb 13, 2011

How about you play this game I made up? I used to play it with patients when I worked at a hospital and they loved it. You write down all these jobs on slips of paper and then you fold it and throw them in a bag. You divide the class in to two and then you pick people to come up and silently act out the job and whatever team guesses gets the point. Whatever team has the most points at the end wins. It's funny when a guy gets fashion model and they really ham it up. The jobs I used were cashier, garbage collector, scientist, model, baker, painter/artist, carpenter, body builder, race car driver, professional dog walker, maid, makeup artist, nurse or doctor, etc.

6. Ms. Scarlet

Ms. Scarlet Rookie

Feb 13, 2011

Well I don't know, that sounds promising. It doesn't get them too jazzed up does it?

7. StellatheSub

StellatheSub Rookie

Feb 13, 2011

Another thing you can do is consult with another one of the biology teachers and tell them your dilemna and maybe they have some extra worksheets you can have. Get there early if you can! Scan the room and look for stuff. I subbed Art a while back and the teacher had lesson plans for some grades and for others it said free draw. I scanned the room and found a set of animal encyclopedias and I told the students they could either free draw, look at an encyclopedia and draw their favorite animal or do an op art lesson. It really helped control the chaos. You could even google biology lessons and download something. You are allowed to give your own work and tell them to work on it. They don't have to know their regular teacher didn't assign it. It could be an interesting worksheet about animal biology. Good luck, I hope things go smooth for you.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 13, 2011

9. StellatheSub

StellatheSub Rookie

Feb 13, 2011

They might get jazzed up, but you would have to give them a talking to before that, and tell them how you need them to keep the noise level down. Another fun game is password and it's pretty quiet. It's easy. All you do is write a word down on a piece of paper and one student who is it needs to guess the word. You have them turn around and then you show the class the word. After the class has seen the word, you have volunteers give one word hints. Here's an example: the password is lion, hints - jungle, roar, animal; apple - red, fruit, juicy.

I like to do these words: alien, parent, scientist, whale, globe, recess. I'm pretty sure high schoolers would like this game. I've never had anyone not like it. It's also not a very loud game. Whoever is it calls on volunteers for the answer and only one person may talk at a time. Remember - one word hints.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 13, 2011

I'd print up a whole bunch of my own worksheets that pertain to more of what they're doing to kill the rest of the time. Also, how about doing a writing assignment essay. That will kill a lot of time. Don't let the kids know that you came up w/ this. If any of them ask, may like you got more work from their teacher.

But, when I write my end summary note to the teacher on Tuesday, I'd make sure to let him know that there wasn't nearly enough work & you had to find things on your own. Also, mention how rowdy they got anytime there was a lull.

Good luck for the other 2 days.