Hi! A little background... I spent the first 6 years of my teaching career teaching business ed at a Catholic school. It wasn't my first choice - I'd been looking for a job for a year and half when I got the offer and just needed to get paid. I had wanted to get into the public school system, in a school that would be a better fit for me - I'm not religious, I disagreed with the school and church's viewpoints on a lot of issues, but a job was a job. I was there for 6 years, and every year applied for every business education opening in my large metropolitan area. In the meantime I honed my skills and experience and qualifications, taking on AP courses and starting a Dual Credit program in Accounting. I learned that business ed jobs and openings are pretty rare, with many school only having 1-3 teachers on staff. Two years ago I finally got an offer from a large public school district, and the job was everything I dreamed - I poured my heart and soul into it, and worked my butt off. In March I was blindsided in a meeting and told my contract was not being renewed. No reason given besides a vague "it's not you, it's me" from the associate principal. In my area I've learned that April - May is the hiring window for schools, and I started applying for positions. I got interviews from 8 of the 10 schools I applied to, and I made it to the final round with several of the schools only to not get an offer - typically because the position also included teaching a section of computer programming (not in my skillset), or they went with someone cheaper (I have multiple masters as a career changer). There hasn't been a full time business ed position posted in the area in over a month - and the last one posted was my old position at the Catholic school. Here's my dilemma: I left on pretty decent terms, and the school has a history of rehiring people that left even under difficult circumstances. I'm relatively confident if I reached out to my old supervisor I could step back into my old role. But I had so many problems with the school culture (anti-LGBTQ+, families sending their kids to the school because it was mostly white, teachers being walked over by admin, etc.), I'm having a hard time even considering making that call. I know my family would have a difficult time on just my wife's income, I don't want a large gap in my teaching resume, and given all the uncertainty in schools with COVID and re-opening it seems a bit risky to hold out for another public school position this year. Every time I think I about reaching out to the old school, I remember another terrible thing I hated about that job and tell myself I can't go back. Any thoughts or advice on this situation would be appreciated.