Help! I've been asked to be a bridesmaid

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2010

My friend is getting married in April. This will be my first time ever being a bridesmaid. She will not have a maid of honor. So, what kinds of things do bridesmaids do?

3. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Nov 11, 2010

Whatever the bride asks you to do. You may want to go ahead now and ask her about it. April will be here before you know it.

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Nov 11, 2010

You will go to many, many dress fittings. You will help plan/attend her bachelorette party, should she choose to have one. You will help calm her down when her hair isn't perfect (it will be, but she'll think it looks awful). :)

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 11, 2010

You will probably also be expected to throw her bridal shower. If the wedding is in April, the shower should probably be in February/March, so you may want to start talking about that to other people involved.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2010

Ooooh this is all so good. I NEED more timeline! :D when you say dress fittings do you mean for her wedding dress? She already has that picked out. That was the very first thing she did.

How do I plan the bridal shower?

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 11, 2010

What a fun time that women can share & bond together! Yes, be supportive & have fun.

I was a bridesmaid once, but it was very strange how I came to be one. My old pal I knew since 8th gr had moved away at 18 to another state & stayed living there. We had kind of drifted apart after a while. But, when we had one of our rare phone conversations & she said she was getting married, I suggested that I'd like to be a bridesmaid & she didn't say no. It was the summer I was planning a trip to NY & she lived in GA, so I figured I'd swing over there too. She told me what dress to get, which I got. I just had to have it hemmed, that's it. I flew in, never even went to a rehearsal or bachelorette party, which she didn't invite me to anyway, but I went to the rehearsal dinner, in which she barely said 2 words to me because I guess all her friends & family were there & I guess she was wrapped up in the excitement of it all. :mad: I showed up on the big day, was introduced to the groomsman who I'd be walking w/ minutes before the wedding & we walked down there & that was it. After the wedding, I don't think my friend & I saw each other again until years later. I had even given her $100 for a present, but I don't ever remember if she ever thanked me.

Yes, very strange indeed, but I was glad to be a part of it overall! :)