Help! "Inlaws" are coming for dinner!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KatieC, Mar 4, 2008.

1. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Mar 4, 2008

Hi All,

My boyfriend invited his parents over to our new home for dinner- tomorrow night! I am probably the world's worst cook and he, oh-so-lovingly, told them that I would be happy to cook for them. I'm in a bind and looking for an idiot-proof recipe that will impress my future inlaws! Any ideas??

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 4, 2008

I'll tell you what I always make...........

works everytime...........

i make..............

reservations!

4. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Mar 5, 2008

Get some good frozen lasagna, put it in your own baking dish and bake according to directions. Add a salad and some bread.

5. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 5, 2008

Spaghetti is always easy. use a jar of sauce and add your own meat(s) (I use hot dogs, sausage and beef) with garlic bread and a salad.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 5, 2008

Go pick up some chicken put some teriyaki on it to marinate it today. Than pick up some stir fried veggies. They usually have fresh ones chopped up already at the super market. Than get some white rice.
    Also grab some dinner rolls and heat them up in the oven for five minutes or so.

ps: I bake the chicken it's easier than stir frying it. I baked it at 350 for about 45 minutes.

7. Amers

Amers Cohort

Mar 5, 2008

Try this:

http://allrecipes.com:80/Recipe/Baked-Ziti-I/Detail.aspx

It's very easy and delicious! I only made two changes: Cover the dish with foil before baking, and mix a little bit of the sauce with the first layer of noodles- just enough to give them a light coating.

You could buy some store bought galic bread to heat up and a bag of salad. Just add some cheese, tomatoes, and cucumbers to the salad, and wah-lah! Easy, Italian dinner!

8. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Mar 5, 2008

one of my favorite things to do for the "inlaws" is to buy those pre-made pizza crusts and then I'll cut up chicken and cook it in BBQ sauce. Spread the BBQ sauce and chicken over the pizza crust, top with cheese and bake until cheese is melted. It's easy and OH SO GOOD! (you can add spinich and mushrooms and all that good stuff if you want but my bf won't eat 'em)

9. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 5, 2008

buy some steaks and make your husband cook out on the grill.:lol:

10. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 5, 2008

ok, so that didn't amuse you huh.

Get a roast beef, and put it in a pan, (I use an iron skillet)
    drizzle some olive oil (or veg oil)
    sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder

bake at 325 until it reads 155 with a meat thermometer It should take about 2 hours for a 3 lb roast, with will give you left overs (make beef soup with) set on cutting board (the side with grooves if it has it) then cover with foil. Make instant mashed potatoes (don't leave the box out)
    open 2 cans of Italian green beans or your favorite frozen vegatable and cook in pan with some water.
    prepare 1-2 packets of brown gravy mix (to ladel over potatoes and beef if desired) or for a lighter version perpare a package of aus ju sauce (sp)
    thinly slice the beef and serve family style

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 5, 2008

I found it amusing. After all, it is her boyfriend who got her into the fix. He can fix it!:D

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2008

One thing I make a lot that my husband, my parents, and my little sisters and brother loved, was Creamy Baked Chicken Breasts. It was pretty easy. Especially because I can remember the recipe here at school!

I usually make 4 pieces of chicken-so 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You can make 8 if you want and double the recipe.

You spray some pam in a pan and put the chicken in.

Than you put slices of swiss cheese on top of the chicken. One for each piece of chicken, or more if you want more.

Next you mix up some apple juice (1/4 cup or a little more) with half a can of cream of chicken soup. You spoon this mixture on top of the chicken and cheese.

Then you sprinkle some stuffing on top. I buy the chicken flavored stuffing. I don't usually measure it out-I just sprinkle it so each piece of chicken has stuffing on it.

Last, you drizzle some butter on top. I don't remember how much it is-I'll look later. But it's just a little bit, you don't want to drench everything.

Then you bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.

I usually make mashed potatoes and corn with it-and it's definitely my husband's favorite meal.

13. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 5, 2008

Be yourself. Cook what you know how to cook. That way you will not worry about it turning out correctly and you can enjoy yourself. Trying to make something you have never cooked before is something not even recommended by experienced cooks. Then if you feel you have to impress your in-laws start practicing. Keep recipes and make notations on them as to whether you tweaked it or it was a great one.

14. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 5, 2008

Get a beef roast and put it in a crock pot with a can of cream of mushroom soup.

Steam some carrots in the mircowave and then microwave a few potatoes.

Make some garlic toast and call it a meal :)

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2008

maybe I am late with this but I love it

Cut up some red, yellow or white onions (depends on your taste in onions I like the red because of their sweetness)
    In a Dual use casserole dish (stove and oven) and using sesame oil and olive oil, brown some chicken, the onion and some crushed garlic (if you don't like garlic, don't put it in), “caramelized” the onion.
    Remove the chicken. Set aside, keep warm.
    In the same casserole dish add to the caramelized onion, garlic and chicken leavings, equal parts of chicken broth and rice (by volume), add two bay leaves, add a good sized sprig of tarragon, crush it if you want. Did I say a good sized sprig of tarragon?(this is the secret ingredient)
    Bake (at about 300°-400°) until all the broth is soaked up by the rice. Remove the bay leaves and discard leaves.
    While the rice is baking Cut up some green onions About 5 to 7(use the green part too). Cut up mushrooms (about 1 to 2 cups depends how much you like mushrooms)
    Mix the chicken, green onions and mushrooms back into the rice and return to the oven for 5 to 10 min.

Steam some swiss chard or spinach
    Serve on a bed of the swiss chard or spinach

To Vary the taste
    serve the swiss chard or spinach on the side and
    use a little parmesan cheese and/or Mix in cooked Pinto Beans

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2008

That sounds yummy, Dave! I'm going to make it on the weekend.

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 6, 2008

Katie what did you end up making? And how did it go?

18. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 6, 2008

Katie, are you there? Don't keep us in suspense . . . oh, you are having dinner even as we speak.

I majored in Home Economics and one of the best secrets I learned from the best cooks in the state of Texas was to make it easy on yourself! Learn how to put together a meal that has been basically made in the store. Roasted chicken, salad bar, french bread, the frozen lasagnas are great - I flop it upside down onto a cookie sheet, then flop it back into a cake pan of my own, add extra mozarella, and bake! It looks and tastes completely homemade - and they go on sale often.

2nd choice - practice 2 or 3 meals until you have them down pat, and make them your company meals. Good ones are the ones that you can put together the night before - roast in the crock pot with veggies, potatoes in the oven that is set to turn on an hour before dinner, easy casseroles made with frozen veggies, mushroom soup, and some kind of meat thrown in, etc. Get just a few main dishes down, then nuke the veggies, do the salad bar, buy ice cream and chocolate syrup!

Find some things that are easy on you. People are happy just to eat, and you are the special part of the evening, just spending time together.

19. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Mar 6, 2008

I survived!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I have a ton of new recipes to try in the next few weeks!!

Here's what I ended up making:

Pork chops which I seasoned, seared, and baked.
    Homemade mash potatoes (my ONLY specialty :lol:)
    Steamed broccoli
    I bought the most delicious bread ever- pesto pull apart bread from SuperTarget!!

And the best part is... they didn't show!!! It snowed here pretty good yesterday and they were afraid to make the journey (they live over an hour away). But we've rescheduled for Monday...

You guys are great... thanks again!! :up:

20. Amers

Amers Cohort

Mar 7, 2008

One of the things (among the many!) that I've learned from this site is that we love to share our cooking tips!!