HELP!! In need of Self Contained Life Skills Class Ideas and Actvities

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by stillearning, Aug 25, 2010.

1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 19, 2013

Boardmaker is awesome. I use it for almost everything.
    I didn't see the middle school science curriculum on the link you gave since the site doesn't seem to be working.
    Someone on another thread mentioned the News2You program that you can buy. I have used their free samples and it seems great for social skills and social studies themes.

2. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 19, 2013

Can you send to me also? I will PM you.

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 19, 2013

OK, what is morning focus material? Sounds like something I could use!

4. Mstar31

Mstar31 New Member

Aug 19, 2013

I taught teenagers with autism (low functioning) for 4 years and was the job sampling coordinator, so hopefully I can help here.

Depending on the functioning level of your students, you should start teaching job skills NOW. Because it could take years to really learn the skill. Go to places where you think they could work and watch what it takes. You would be surprised how complicated being a stock person at Marshall's really is when you start breaking down the steps. Get real materials, it's great to make your own BUT if student only learn to use "made up" materials they will not generalize the skill to the "real" world.

I agree with the other suggestions listed here about money skills. In addition to being a teacher I am also a BCBA candidate so I do a lot of ABA in my room. Once they are older their motivational systems (both for academics and behavior plans) use money (coins are usually real but bills are realistic looking fakes). So I can incorporate money skills all day long. Example, "Great, job following your rules this morning Bobby! You can take 75 cents!" or "Nice job, you earned time on the computer! That will be $3."

I like the Edmark functional words series and do use it. I do go off the curriculum though and add components. For example, after the students have learned some functional words I will place them on mock grocery lists and mock groceries to make sure they can read the words in "real life" situations. Often, my kids will learn the word in the curriculum but can't generalize so I started adding activities like this to really make sure they were getting it.

Other life skills that are super important are safety signs, telling the difference between men's and women's bathrooms, social skills, and being able to report personal information (if they are lost or need help).

Hope this helps! This year I am back in Elementary for the first time in years so I am on the opposite end of the spectrum! Don't know what I am going to do with little kids!!!

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 19, 2013

There was a site that had examples of work task boxes that you could make but I forgot where I saw it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? My students are seriously on a pre-k level and have JUST begun matching words not even reading them. Also, they are mostly non-verbal so I'm hoping to find a lot of hands on activities.

6. Dr Kevlar

Dr Kevlar Rookie

Aug 20, 2013

Thanks Mstar! I did an ESY program this summer for autistic students. It was the first time that I was in that intense an environment and I was surprised at how low-functioning insofar as job skills some of these students were. While a few really didn't have the capability to learn, there were a number that did (including many of our non-verbal students) who obviously had not received the instruction/repetition necessary to master certain skills. The shame of it is that these students could get employment and some level of independence if someone had just started with them sooner.

7. deefreddy

deefreddy Companion

Aug 20, 2013

For math I use Attainment's Math Works: http://www.attainmentcompany.com/sites/default/files/pdf/standards/TSMpdfs/TSM_MathWork.pdf
    and my class started a recycling club on campus for our vocational period (I teach HS life skills) The club is open to gen ed students also. We collect paper, bottles, and cans, and then budget our earnings-- 1/3 to my classroom, 1/3 to new recycling supplies and campus beautification, and 1/3 to a charity that is voted on by club members. It has been a great, inclusive, learning experience for all members.

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2013

Check out Hands on Tasks and Shoebox Tasks. Both are pricy but the sites give great ideas on things you can make on your own.

If you do have money to make purchases, Hands on Tasks are very flimsy and low quality. Shoebox Tasks actually employs adults with autism to assemble the task boxes. They are pricy but of high quality. I've had a set of 16 boxes for 6 years. Just this year a few of my bins started to crack but you can replace the pieces individually through the company, another total bonus.

9. ketchum

ketchum New Member

Jan 13, 2015

Help and Thanks

Is there any chance that you could send me some of the focus materials too? I am starting a new functional classroom next year and trying to get prepared. Thanks so much

10. New2EBD

New2EBD Rookie

Jan 17, 2015

Morning Focus?

What is Morning Focus? I am thinking it is like the bell ringers we used to use in the classroom. Anyway, I teach in a self-contained high school social skills classroom and I am always looking for ideas. If you still have the info available, would you be willing to share? :thanks:

11. MrShiva

MrShiva Rookie

Mar 1, 2015

Lots of great ideas here! Thanks to all of you, guys! :D