Help in math

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Mr. Math Teache, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Mr. Math Teache

Mr. Math Teache New Member

Oct 29, 2007

This is my first year of teaching and they told me that next year they are going to departmentalize us. I will be teaching math all day! This is ok with me, until i started to think about all the papers there will be to grade. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to survive this

3. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Oct 29, 2007

This is my second year of teaching, my first in departmentalized math and I L-O-V-E it. If you enjoy math, you won't wanna go back to not having it all day....

To help with the grading papers crisis, I get students to keep all their homework from the week until Friday. On Friday, I take up the Homework Packet and that's worth one 100 point grade. That really keeps from me grading way too much and the kids seem to enjoy just turning in homework once a week.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2007

I would try color coding each class period. Where they turn in their work, folders where you keep their work, color coded in your gradebook.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2007

Don't grade every single question that they do. Choose a couple of representative questions from each homework assignment and grade only those.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 29, 2007

I don't departmentalize, but this is something I have done that I found helpful this year.

Each child has a math folder (pockets and prongs) that stays in the classroom. One side is labeled IN PROGRESS. The other side is FACT PRACTICE for drills. In the hole punches, completed and checked work...

Each child puts their work on the IN PROGRESS side if not finished. Then, I also keep a practice pack in their folder, maybe 6-8 pages of practice for the unit. It's all due at the end of the unit, or due at the time it is finished. If it's finished, it gets put in the turn in box and checked. Work that needs corrections, goes back into IN PROGESS. 100% work, or work that has been fixed to 100% goes into the punched section.

It's easy for me to see who has work left to do and who doesn't. Also, they grab their folder ANY TIME they have a spare moment. The only problem is that some kids don't get as much done. But in the past those kids were more likely to lose their work, so this is better for me.

I go through the work about once a week. If I were you, I would do one day per class, but it would be a weeks worth of work. Also, the good thing is that you can send home the whole unit at the end with the test, and the parents will see everything that went into a unit.

7. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Oct 29, 2007

Grade in class a couple days a week, trade and grade, and have students call out their grades. Another day or 2, grade on completion..full credit if they have it. Good luck!

8. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Oct 30, 2007

I only assign the worksheets that are provided with our text. They are easier to grade when I grade them myself. I typically assign three worksheets a week to be graded. The other two days we work through example in the book on our white boadrs (each student has their own white board) they love using them. The last thing I do is I write up a key ahead of time and place it on a table near my desk. When the students finish their work they bring their completed paper only, no pencils, to the "grading center." The students check their work and then show it to me. If they bombed the assignment I keep them in at recess and re-teach the lesson. It gives me instant feedback and I don't move on the next day without them having a better understanding.

9. smile10

smile10 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007

In response to the post above by MrsC who said "Don't grade every single question that they do. Choose a couple of representative questions from each homework assignment and grade only those." - I strongly disagree with that. What are you teaching the kids when you do that?

Just yesterday I answered a similar question on a different grade forum. Here is the link to it.
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=48617

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2007

Feel free to disagree. I'm not sure, however, why you feel that I'm either not teaching an important lesson to my students or that I'm teaching my students something detrimental to them. It is an expectation that all of my students do all of the assigned work and they know that there are consequences if they do not. I know what works for me and I was sharing that.

I do check for homework completion every day, but don't mark every question--I don't have the time. By checking a few questions (which I have carefully preselected) I am able to get a quick gauge of the understanding of my students. If I notice that most had difficulties with a problem, we spend time doing it together. If all "get it", and were successful with those problems I checked, we can move on. I give my students frequent formative assessment tasks which also helps me determine their level of understanding and help to determine my future instruction. My students have ample opportunities to demonstrate their understanding of concepts; I feel comfortable (as does my administration) with my system.

11. darzie

darzie Companion

Oct 30, 2007

Why not just assign the ones you're going to correct then?

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2007

I feel like I've opened a can of worms here, but here it goes...(again, this is one person's opinion; take it or leave it)

My students work in class on a variety of problems; I primarily use demonstration, modelled, and guided practice. My math classes are very interactive--lots of discussion between students and with me as they work to gain understanding of new concepts. Independent practice and application is started in class and completed, if required, for homework. Students need multiple opportunities to practice and apply new concepts; they wouldn't get this through only doing one question. However, by spot-checking a couple of (again, carefully selected) questions at the beginning of class each day I am able to determine their understanding and modify my teaching accordingly.

The original poster expressed concern about the load of marking in a departmentalized math position; my method is one possible solution.

13. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Oct 31, 2007

Why do people do this? Mr. Math Teache asked a question and received a few helpful responses and now the thread is being hijacked by an argument over one posters suggestion. It is fine to disagree, but if you do disagree why not send a personal message to the person and then offer a helpful suggestion to the original poster?

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2007

I apologize for my part in the hi-jacking. I hope that Mr. Math Teache is able to find some suggestions in this thread that will work for him.

15. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Oct 31, 2007

The papers to grade serve 2 purposes: for you to asses how the students are doing, and to give the students practice.

Solutions to reduce time spent grading can be along the lines of assessing during teaching, providing self-check practice, and having students grade each others papers.

One way to assess during teaching that the students enjoy is via the use of mini-white write-on boards. Each student would have one, a dry-erase marker and eraser (each can use tissue). After you teach a part of the lesson, give a problem, and have students solve and show the answer on their mini-board and hold the board up. This way you can quickly assess if all are following. Do this through-out the lesson. A treat after 3 problems is one minute of drawing on their boards. Save using the mini-boards for math so the fun-ness of using them stays high.

For self-check practice, have a key available to students after they show that they have done the work. Most textbooks provide the odd number answers. Let students know that if they get more than 2 wrong to tell you so you can either give extra help or reteach the lesson. Let students know that what counts on the practice sheets toward their grade is that they did the work. That way they should be honest about admitting more than 2 wrong.

Students actually seem to like correcting papers. You can have them trade with a partner and then trade again with someone else. Then state the answers one at a time. Have a show of hands if they have a paper with the answer incorrect. If there are quite a few hands, go over the steps to solve the problem, either at the time or after the graded papers are returned.

If there is in-class work, you can grade the first 2 early finishers. If they did excellent, you can have them use their papers as a key and go around the room helping and grading other students. It's a big honor for students to play this role.