help in a montessori classroom

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by aqt1, Feb 5, 2006.

1. aqt1

aqt1 New Member

Feb 5, 2006

hi! I'm in a new school and I'm handling pre-k three year olds. It's a montessori environment although I have only a few months montesssori experience in a previous job , I'm also not certified in montessori. Please tell me how to handle new kids coming in and what materials to introduce first. Another thing is, do you have other suggestions to handle crying children when they don't get what they want.
    Thank you. I'll appreciate all your advice,:) :)

3. carriescandles

carriescandles Rookie

Feb 13, 2006

Iam a toddler teacher but I would think you should let the new children spend as much time as possible in the practical life and sensorial areas. This is where the 3's go in our school. We have the classes in traditional Montessori style with ages 3-6 in one class. As for the crying I have a waiting chair in the class that is different from all the others I ask the child to sit there until they can stop crying and are ready to work again. Hope that helps.

4. aqt1

aqt1 New Member

Feb 18, 2006

thanks

Thanks that will surely help a lot! I especially like the waiting chair idea and I'll use it in my class!!:) :) aqt1

5. carriescandles

carriescandles Rookie

Feb 18, 2006

you are so welcome. My first year I had a little girl who cried every day. She would cry in the chair for5 minutes then get up and work. After 3 weeks she no longer needed to sit in the chair. Good luck to you!