Help! I'm teaching PE and Music!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by themilocat, Aug 21, 2011.

1. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Aug 21, 2011

I'm teaching music and PE for a little while at a small private school-- with kids ages 2 through 5th grade! I've worked at this school for 4 years, but I've never worked with PE or Music!

I get 30 minutes with each group- 2 & 3 year olds, pre-k, and k-5. I have 2 aides that stay with the 2 and 3 year olds, so that's helpful. I just don't have any ideas for activities for this littlest age group. The first day I worked with them, I arrived 5 minutes before PE started, and was told to take them to the gym and let them play with balls. I did this, but I didn't like the results. I need something more to do with them.

The school has scooters, hula hoops, obstacle course things, a parachute, and lots of balls.

Any suggestions would be great!

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2011

Is PE and music the same class or different classes?

There is a site, I think called PECentral, which has pe lesson plans for various ages.

You can get the little ones involved in a lot of music and movement activities if you have the right music. Off the top of my head, they love running around reenacting Bear Hunt, Monkeys Jumping on the Bed, Freeze, etc. Ask teachers for their favorite music and movement songs. I loaded all mine in my computer and then could pick and chose and make cds that were just movement songs rather than having to hunt for them and keep changing cds.

They love props - scarves, bean bags, etc.

Good luck!