Help! I'm teaching a sample lesson to get the job..

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Emerson Squirl, May 2, 2010.

1. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

May 2, 2010

I'm teaching a lesson this week at a school to which I have already interviewed. The p called to inform me that I made the short list of candidates the school is interested in, so he wanted me to come in to teach a lesson. He gave me the topic- Asia- and said the students just started studying the region. So, my question is: where do I start? This is almost too open-ended for me, especially since I don't know really anything about the class.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 2, 2010

What grade is it?

Take a look at the state standards for Social Studies, and see what is supposed to be taught.

Choose a standard or two and come up with a lesson.

Be sure to include the standard in your presentation, either on the board or in something written you give to the evaluators.

4. wrice

wrice Habitué

May 2, 2010

Congrats on getting this far! Is there any way you can talk with the hosting teacher and find out what they have already studied? Do let us know what grade level, and whether you think a geography lesson or something on culture or history is appropriate and we'll come up with ideas.

5. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

May 2, 2010

Are there things that I should avoid in a lesson? Things I should definitely include?

6. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

May 2, 2010

I was thinking I would do something on culture. It's a fourth grade class, but I cannot find where in the curriculum it lists anything about asia.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 2, 2010

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 2, 2010

Try to make your lesson as engaging as possible. Keep the students interested. Try to get them involved. Before you even begin to write your lesson, have your "Lesson Objective" in mind. Try your best to stay focused on the lesson objective. At times, it's easy to stray away from the lesson objective (especially for newer teachers).

Also, try your best to use "realia." It makes the lesson so much more meaningful when you're able to incorporate realia.

There's so much you can do--the possibilites are endless. Remember, though: Stick to ONE lesson objective. For example, "We will learn about the contributions Southeast Asians have made to state of Utah."

9. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

May 2, 2010

I don't know the type of students you will be teaching, but I teach students that generally have very limited background knowledge when it comes to academics. Whatever aspect of Asia you choose, I would definitely start by making sure my students know what continents are and which one is Asia.

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 2, 2010

Maybe start out with a KWL chart??? SO at least you know what they know before you begin your lesson....as Im typing this Im thinking that this may not work in the case that if their "W" doesnt align with your lesson.

Demos are always so nerve wracking! Good Luck and be positive and strict!

11. Chalk

Chalk Companion

May 2, 2010

Bring in an artifact that reflects the topic you are going to teach on. Perhaps bring in a jewelry box done in the far eastern style. Or bring in a piece of clothing that will illustrate the manner of dress.

12. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

May 4, 2010

Ok, I changed directions a bit. The lesson I have in my head compares the physical geography of one or two countries in Asia with the physical geography of Utah. We would start with Utah, maybe create some tangible representations of the landforms here, then talk about the landforms of the other countries. Then I could divide the students into small groups and have them create tangible representations of those landforms. Then maybe to summarize we can complete a Venn diagram...

13. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 4, 2010

How much time do you have for this lesson? You may not be able to cover all of that at one time. Remember that when working with kids and supplies it often takes more time than you thought it would! :)

14. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

May 4, 2010

I realize I only have an hour. At least if it is on the lesson plan, the p will see where I am going with it.

15. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 4, 2010

I agree the lesson sounds like a two-day project (at least). I'm also not sure if you were planning to divide the kids into groups before doing the local land formations or after. It might be best to divide into the groups first and have each group do a local land form followed by an Asian land form. But dividing into groups, getting supplies, deciding on a land formation and making that formation will take time.

How long do you have to prepare your lesson and presentation? If you have enough time, another idea would be to include a PowerPoint presentation to show comparisons of land formations in Utah and Asia. This will also give the kids some examples to use when making their own formations.

It sounds like a great lesson plan. It just might need a few adjustments so it fits into the time frame you're given.

16. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

May 4, 2010

I would avoid planning a lesson and then not being able to complete it. They might take that to mean you have poor time management skills.