Help - I'm ready to resign

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by CAteacher, Oct 5, 2005.

1. CAteacher

CAteacher New Member

Oct 5, 2005

I am a first year teacher - middle school - and I am just miserable in my job. I have no idea what I got myself into. Many days I have wanted to walk in and quit. I am afraid of legal action due to my contract. I am unfamiliar with the whole process here in California. Anyone out there that can fill me in on my rights to be able to resign and what acceptable reasons would allow a resignation???

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2005

I really feel sorry for you! What is the problem with your job? I'm sorry I don't know the legal aspects to getting out of a contract. Others will surely know though.

4. mshutchinson

mshutchinson Comrade

Oct 11, 2005

Maybe if you post all your issues here, we can help you find out how to make it less...horrible for you and the kids)

5. Mrs.Bick

Mrs.Bick New Member

Oct 13, 2005

Don't throw in the towel today. Many of us who teach middle school went home crying daily for the first three (Seven!) months. Our kids in the middle are a unique species, as are the people who work with them. "Just teaching" is really so many different jobs wrapped into one. It is hard and frustrating but also so fun and rewarding.(On my 21st year!)
    I agree with the others- post your issues and concerns we've seen and experienced a lot ad the support of others will really help you work into your career choice. See if your school has a mentor program. I agree with the others- post your issues and concerns we've seen and experienced a lot ad the support of others will really help you work into your career choice.
    Look for a substitute, take a mental health day and re-group before you make your decisions.
    I hope you feel better good luck.

6. Oct 19, 2005

I am sorry to hear about your situation. My deepest sympathies to you. I have been involved in a similar situation. As a last resort, make a full out effort to get some assistance and support from your colleagues and administrators. Make it known in simple terms that you are struggling and completely miserable.

If they are unresponsive then you have every justification to leave. You can also note in your defense of your resignation that you did everything in your power to avoid resigning. If they respond favorably, give it some time and see if the situation gradually improves. I sincerely hope that they will come to your aid.

7. Prissypants

Prissypants Companion

Oct 20, 2005

I'm so sorry that you feel that way,but I can empathize. I was absolutely miserable my first year. Not only did I cry every afternoon, but I threw up every morning. I dreaded school that much. All I can say is that it does get better. The first year is the worst, by far. Everythings new to you, your figuring out how you want to run your classroom, and you spend all of your time grading and planning. Next year will be easier, and then it gets easier after that.

Good luck.

8. Emyly

Emyly Rookie

Oct 22, 2005

I would not recommend resigning this early in your first year. Getting another teaching job in the future may be a huge challenge if you walk out now. Your employer won't be able to give you good references and you will have to explain to prospective employers why you left this job. Believe me, it does get better. Find someone in your building to confide in and bounce ideas off of. Call your teacher ed professors and ask for help. My alma mater has a guarantee that they will help any graduate who is struggling in the classroom.

9. kayakay

kayakay Rookie

Oct 23, 2005

Laughter is the best medicine!

Sometimes we take ourselves too seriously. Can you find any humor in this situation, however small? Perhaps you can do some self-care and enjoy some personal after-school activities that relieve stress. Massage, exercise, yoga, music, concerts, bicycling, kayaking....a long walk on the beach? Anything you can lose yourself in and clear the cobwebs.
    As far as the legal action, talk with your union representative before you make any serious moves. They are the best source and can direct you in the right path.

10. DRBenjamin

DRBenjamin Rookie

Oct 31, 2005

I agree. Hang in there. Take a "personal health" day (or two) and outline a plan that includes what you can't live with, what you have the power to make better, and resources you can use. Then, contact an administrator or another teacher (that you trust) and show them what you need help. I have been there and I know that's cold comfort, just know that others do care about you and good teachers are scarce. Any administrator would be a fool to ignore you in your time of need. Don't quit, though. The professional outcome would be the equivalent to playing volleyball with a grenade.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 31, 2005

Sometimes, especially if you read all these posts from great teachers and hear about the great lengths they go to for their students, teaching is just plain overwhelming. Know that it is okay to 'coast' for a while as you adjust to the expectations, demands, personnel, students. Do the job to the best of your ability but don't make yourself nuts. Consider each day like attending a college course - because you really are learning every minute of every day. Then ease up on yourself, don't take the worries home, get by and be patient. It will get better. But not by making yourself sick.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 31, 2005

Growing into middle school. . .

I took the middle school job as a "placeholder" job in the district until a high school position came open. I'd taught high school English, and my job was cut due to scheduling changes. I let it be known that I'd like to come back, and they said they'd keep it in mind.

Well, I was MISERABLE for the first few months. After that, I wasn't miserable anymore, but I had decided that I'd LOST MY MIND to stay. However, I toughed it out waiting for a high school position. Well. . . that was in 1995.

Know what? Year before last, there WAS an opening at the high school and I was asked if I'd be interested in it. I turned them down!!

Sometimes I think middle school is something you have to GROW INTO. Each year I learn more about that age, and I think I do things better each year.

If you give us some specifics about the problems, we might be able to give you some ideas.

13. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 31, 2005

Middle School students are a breed unto themselves. You didn't say, but I suspect it is classroom management issues. What subject do you teach? Which grade? 6? 7? 8? all?

If you quit it will be difficult to get another position. The first year is the most difficult. the second year is better, the third year better yet and by year 4 you will hardly remember this year.

I've been teaching 34 years - 1s or 19 of them in middle school. Most days I love it, but those first years were not easy.

14. kayakay

kayakay Rookie

Oct 31, 2005

Agreement in humor!

Dr. Benjamin,
    It is nice to know I have a like-minded person working in the same field. What is your subject area? I teach English, and am taking my own advice and taking a mental health day tomorrow.
    How many years have you been teaching?
    Kayakay

15. DRBenjamin

DRBenjamin Rookie

Oct 31, 2005

Not very long - this will be my seventh year. I'm an English teacher--all secondary with experience at the comm coll level. What do you teach specicifally? D.

16. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 1, 2005

I can't give you any advice but I can completely identify. Try not to let them break you. Talk, talk, talk to whoever will listen. Do things to relax and take care of yourself. I won't say it is the whole answer, but remember that whatever students and situations you are dealing with are transient. It will be a whole new set next year and so on. This is all that keeps me going, especially on those horrible days. It feels strange to be giving advice about a problem I myself am having, but if anything, it will let you know that you are not alone. I find it helps me, just to sound off of others and seek out those who share the same issues. My reply is just my way of giving back a bit.

17. BMoreCityTeach

BMoreCityTeach Rookie

Nov 5, 2005

Don't quit yet!!! The best piece of advice was from my department head from last year. He said that over his dead body would he let me quit or let them fire me in my first year because it would be the hardest year of my life. He was right! The first year is bad for EVERYONE.

Go see a doctor about the stress before you give yourself an ulcer. Then find ways to relax. Allow yourself only a certain amount of time per day to do school work. Don't burn yourself out-you'll be no good to anyone if you do.

In the meantime, look for another teaching job, one in a school you may like better. All is not lost!

18. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 6, 2005

Don't give up!

It is totally okay to "do the minimum" for a while. Just do the basics -- nothing fancy. Minimal lesson plans with NO FLUFF ... just for a little bit. Repeat to yourself over and over "What's the worst thing they could do to me? Fire me? Ha!" They wouldn't and they aren't, so long as you meet minimum standards of teaching (ie showing up, breathing, having something titled "Lesson Plan" on your desk each day.) If there are any complaints, smile and say "I'll get right on it."

Plan something FUN for yourself at least twice a week. Go to the doctor and get screened for depression. Lots of people have depression -- and as teachers, we are espeically prone to it. We have little adult contact, less colleague support than many jobs, and never have enough time to do what we need to do.

You AREN'T a failure! There is always a "learning curve" with any new job -- but with teaching it can be so overwhelming.

Breath! Then breath somemore. It will get better!

19. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 7, 2005

Make it through this year and then next year, maybe find a different grade. I think teachers are "designed" to be best at certain age levels. I tried the middle school thing and it so wasn't me. I teach 5th at an elementary school now and absolutely love it. I have a friend who teaches Jr High and swears she would go on welfare before moving down to elementary. Talk to other teachers at your school, if there are professors that you were close to in your education classes, go back and talk to them. Vent your frustration on here. Give yourself the time to see if it is just the situation or really the job that you aren't happy with. The first year of teaching is rough. You feel as if you know nothing, you are messing up kids, and looking foolish. In fact, you aren't (at least not most of the time! :D) Take care and good luck!!

20. Beau1

Beau1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2005

I wish you the best of luck and would ask that you give the job more time to develop. I took a new job at a smaller High School this year as I teach Special Education.I thought I would be doing LD resource and Inclusion but ended up with 10 students in a self contained classroom. I have made the best of it and have seen this as a broadining of my paradigm and a new experience. I am a fulltime coach also so many adjustments have been made but albeit I have taken them on positively ..Hang in there!

21. kayakay

kayakay Rookie

Nov 12, 2005

A fellow English teacher

DRBenjamin,
    I am also an English teacher and teach at the secondary level. This is my sixth year of full-time classroom teaching, but as the Canadians would say, I was a "supply teacher" for roughly fourteen years prior to my full time assignment. I am currently completing a Master's Degree in Counseling and should graduate in 2006.I am teaching five hours of English to tenth and eleventh grade students. My Master's research paper is on humor therapy in the classroom and I have some great resources! Please indicate whether you are interested in any of my sources.

22. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 13, 2005

What do you call a 'supply teacher' over there?? :confused:

23. wig

wig Devotee

Nov 13, 2005

Isn't a supply teacher the same as our substitute teachers?

24. logan_morgan

logan_morgan Rookie

Nov 27, 2005

Oh, I feel your pain - and I've been teaching 25 years! Last year was an awful group and even with my years of experience I was ready to quit. Middle school is a breed unto itself and it's not everyone's cup 'o tea! Have you talked to your administrator or others in your building? Is there a mentor program in your district? In terms of resignations and the legalities surrounding that choice, you probably want to contact your union rep. I know it's been said before, but resigning this early in a job isn't going to look great on a resume when you go to get another position. If there's any way you can see your way clear to holding on for the year and then looking elsewhere, that would be a better idea. See if your administrator would let you go visit some other classrooms similar to yours - maybe you could get some strategies to help make the situation more palatable. Good luck!

25. mika

mika Rookie

Nov 28, 2005

I know how you feel. This is my second year and I hate coming to work in the morning. Last year it wasn't bad, but for some reason I just feel like I have lost my patience! I teach 8th grade and they only have two other teachers throughout their day and we are all feeling the same way about this group. I try to keep hope alive, but it seems like I am not making a difference and just want to give up.

26. rtcguitar

rtcguitar New Member

Dec 5, 2005

It's too bad to hear you are having such problems with your classes, maybe if you list what the problems are we could help you get threw the slump.

27. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Dec 5, 2005

I know how you feel....last year was my first in a middle school classroom (second in the classroom at all) and I went home crying many days. To top it all off, the school switched what i was teaching four weeks into the year, so I had to scrap my lesson plans and start over. I was teaching 4 different classes to three grade levels. Needless to say, I was overwhelmed! But I toughed it out, found a sympathetic co-worker to vent with, and made it through. Now I feel like I can handle ANYTHING!

My best advice: Take some time for you, just like others here have said. Sometimes you just need to stop & breathe!

28. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Dec 13, 2005

You guys are scaring me....I'm studying to be a teacher and I don't want to cry everyday! AAAHHH!

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2005

If you love teaching but are just in the wrong job, hang in there.

If you have come to not even like teaching at all, regardless of grade, school, what have you, GET OUT. There are enough great teachers out there looking for an opening who would jump at the chance to take your job.

There was a teacher in NJ today who duct taped some of her students to their seats- this is someone who clearly needs to GET OUT of the profession. Let's not try to convince people that this job is for them when it really isn't- It's not easy, it's not for everyone. We need to keep the best and the brightest. Let's not say hang in there when they really know they can't - GET OUT, GET OUT..... It's just not right for the kids to have someone teaching them everyday who HATES what they are doing.