Help; I'm Overwhelmed by My Paper Clutter!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherSandra, Jan 22, 2011.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2011

I had to move out all my school stuff from one room (in my home) to the hall.
    While the majority of my stuff is all neatly packed and labeled; I do have a huge (say a TV-size) box of papers, books, etc...that I am going through now. I've been on a "break" for about an hour now. :blush:
    I really need a magic genie to come & make it all disappear - and no, I really can't trash it...it all really has a place, but it's a bit overwhelming.
    any tips? :unsure:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 22, 2011

Got a friend who can make like a genie to help you figure out what of that you really don't need any more?

(And if you do, can I please borrow said friend??)

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2011

I have the same thing happening in my classroom right now. I thought it would be a good idea to get organized...except that right now it looks like a paper factory vomited all over my desk.

I've been putting things in different piles like graphic organizers, parent contact, ELL, whatever....It seems to be working out. Once I know how much of each kind of thing I have, I'll put them into binders or my filing cabinet.

Sorry I don't have any magic fixes. :( Believe me, I wish I did.

5. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Jan 23, 2011

:blush:The teacher workday on Friday was filled with meeting so I was at school until 6 cleaning my kidney-shaped guided reading table. I tried doing piles but it was taking so long! So I basically made 1 big pile of things I would need in the future and the other stuff I threw in the recycling bin. Some of that stuff included unchecked worksheets from (drumroll) months ago :blush:. I put the big pile of needed papers in a file cabinet drawer, but was much too exhausted to organize them into separate file folders (modifications, subjects, independent stuff, HW extras, enrichment,etc.). Plus my eyes were starting to cross:crosseyed! I'll have to deal with that pile later, but much MUCH later....

6. David Brown

David Brown Rookie

Jan 23, 2011

My advice is to be brutal, when I use to hate throwing stuff away I thought had a place and then over time I realized that I never missed it. So now I just be brutal and if it's not extremely important I chuck it.

There's also the option, if you want to spend the time doing it, to scan lots of it to the computer so you can file it neatly and so it's searchable, then chuck the paper copy in the bin!

7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 26, 2011

I would definitely get a friend to help. My bf, though he hates doing it, will come in every time that I need a major cleaning and help me purge. We are emotionally attached to every little thing in our classroom, sometimes we need an outsider's perspective. My workday next week is going to be going through my file cabinet and purging (I try to do this twice every year... I need to just get better about not saving stuff I don't need).

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2011

Office Depot sells these boxes. File boxes. They have lids. They stack.

Throw the papers in the box. Put the box in a cabinet. Discard the box after two years.

9. rdgrocks

rdgrocks Rookie

Jan 28, 2011

I feel your pain! On our workday last week, I got two file cabinet drawers cleaned out (I have 8) so all of the rest of the "stuff" is in various piles around my room.

One of my biggest struggles is dividing 7th grade materials from 8th grade materials. After a while I can't separate the two!

I love Sarge's idea. I might be headed to Office Depot this weekend. Not that I will get through all my piles this next week, mind you!

Good luck!

10. tortega

tortega Rookie

Jan 29, 2011

Set a timer for 15 minutes. Only take out what you can sort AND put away in 15 minutes. Take a 5 min brake, walk around, drink tea, post progress on A to Z, etc. Then do another 15 minutes. Make sure you are putting away as you go or you are going to reach the end of your rope and have a thousand piles of papers around you!

11. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jan 29, 2011

Love this! I might, however, just discard what is in the boxes and reuse the boxes.;)