Help! I'm not motivated!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Beth2004, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 28, 2007

I brought 96 personal narratives home with me to grade over vacation and I haven't touched one. I have to get them graded because I plan to give parents progress reports the week after we get back and I can't do that without these major grades entered.

On top of that, my next writing unit isn't even remotely planned. I'm going to be teaching fiction writing in January and I brought some materials home with me to begin planning, but again, I haven't touched any of them.

This is a problem!:eek:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2007

Beth, I'm sure there are lots of teachers in your position as well. It's just hard to do school related stuff when you aren't in the school mode.

4. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Dec 28, 2007

My bag is also filling with school work..planning and grading...yet I have not touched it (except when I picked it up to vacum underneath). I plan on doing work Sunday for a good chunk of time so that I am not stessing out Monday and Tuesday. I work best once I sit down and get in the school mode and bust out the work for a longer period of time. Doing a little bit each night would not really work for me. Good Luck!!

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 28, 2007

It sounds great in theory, but I teach writing to 96 students and their papers were due the Friday before vacation because that's how long it took them to finish. I could not get the grading done before vacation so I brought it home with me. They need to get graded, and it can't wait until after vacation.

As far as the planning, none of my units are mapped out for me. It's the first year the school has had my position (in the past the homeroom teachers all taught ELA) so I'm on my own with planning. I have no books to follow, etc. My school day ends at 3:45 and if I did all of my planning at school, I'd be there until 7:00 every night. It needs to be done on weekends and over vacations for my own sanity.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 28, 2007

How about watching the travel channel or some low key show and doing it while you are distracted by something more pleasant.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 28, 2007

You're right, I could have made them due earlier, but then most of them wouldn't have been done. I made the deadline the week before vacation so that I would get most of them turned in, and I did. I got all 96.

As far as the planning, I'm not complaining that other teachers haven't planned my lessons. I'm saying that I don't have a curriculum map, scope and sequence, or book to follow so I'm on my own as far as what to teach and when to teach it. In some aspects it's great that I have the freedom, but when it comes to mapping out an entire unit without any guidelines, it's a HUGE task.

Anyway, I didn't start this thread to argue with people. I've read some of your other posts, C N O, and most of them are very negative and argumentative. I'm not going to waste any more of my time.

8. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Dec 28, 2007

Beth,
    I know exactly how you feel. I came home on the last day of school with all these grandiose plans to get some school stuff done and regain my sanity and I really haven't touched the stuff. I've thought about it plenty though. :)
    The one thing I have finished is to map out a new arrangement for the classroom after the new year. I'm getting some new tables so I had to figure out where to put those.
    Now I have a TON of grading and planning to do, but no motivation to do it.
    I guess the two of us can just bite the bullet and do our work, or we can procrastinate on here together. :)

9. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Dec 28, 2007

:clap:

10. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2007

Beth, I feel for you. I have had no motivation either. I planned on doing things for school this break to, and what have I been doing? Sleeping till noon (or um, well, umm, later than that :D) I have always been a night owl, and given an opportunity I revert to my old ways!

I say put on something easy going to watch, set yourself up with drinks, snacks, everything at your finger tips and get a grading. You will be done in no time. Oh, if you haven't made a rubric for that assignment yet, GO GET THAT DONE FIRST. It really does save time. Then you are just making error corrections.

Enjoy your grading.

If worse comes to worse you can always try the staircase method. You walk with all 96 papers in your hands, to the top of a staircase, you make sure the papers are in random order, and you chuck them down. When they are all done moving, the ones at the top get A's and the ones on the bottom get F's :toofunny:

11. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Dec 28, 2007

Wldywall,
    That was probably the best thing I have read all day. :) I'm sure the students and their parents wouldn't appreciate the method, but I'd sure like to try it sometime! lol.

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 28, 2007

Hey Beth, get movtivated by watching your Pats :)

I agree with wldywall - but I set time goals when I have a large amount of work to do. I work in 2 hour chunks and reward myself with fun breaks like checking A to Z :)

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 28, 2007

I know how you feel. I need to go into work to straighten out my classroom (rugs and floor cleaned) and I know they moved everything around. I also have a 2 foot tall stack of papers to sort (fortunately already checked.)

I've done no planning, and have an IEP form to fill out.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 28, 2007

Beth, I'm going to have to go in one or two days before we return to get things done. I don't like to bring work home, so I didn't. But, I was just hanging on by a thread until the last day before break, and didn't get any planning done. At all. And almost all the Christmas stuff is still up, so I have to do that, too.

I, too, have complete leeway when setting up units, etc. It is almost too good a thing! So many possibilities, so much great stuff to do, so little time. We did science for the first half of the year, and we'll be switching to soc studies in January.

I also have to have grades entered into the computer on the day we return. The new system they are using is really ridiculous. There are no written instructions, the headings don't mean what they say (you put grades in where it says edit something or other, comments go where it says memo to student) and the fields will accept anything you put in them even if they aren't the right form. Some fields take letters, some take numbers grades, some take 1-4. If you forget which is which, oh well. The stupidest program I've ever seen.

Anyway, I plan to go in and enjoy the peace and quiet. I'll focus well, play my music, and get it all done. I'm not going to worry about it too much until I get in there, though. I need the rest!

15. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 28, 2007

:haha: :2up: :2up:

I will!

Thanks, everyone, for making me feel like I'm not alone in procrastinating!

16. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Dec 28, 2007

Forgive me for being ignorant...but what are "pats?" I'm lost there.
    Does Wldywall's system work for sorting and filing too? I have a bunch of that to do too and I HATE that more than anything. Consequently, I have a ton of it because I've put it off for a while. :)

17. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 28, 2007

INteacher was referring to me hopefully watching the New England Patriots go 16-0 on the season tomorrow night! ;)

18. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2007

Yeah it works for sorting and filing, but it requires more work. See you have to take the drawers out of the file cabinets and then line them up at the bottom of the stairs and chuck repeatedly until it all lands. However, you get two pionts for everything that does land in the file drawers! :toofunny:

Believe it or not, this was told to me by one of my profs in my teacher preperation classes, so therefore it must be not only true but acceptable, right????

19. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 28, 2007

Looks like a certain poster's posts have been deleted. :) Thanks, Amanda!

20. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Dec 28, 2007

OH! Pats. I'm with it now. Thanks. Well, I hope they win for you! I might as well root for them too. Our team is out and embarrassing this year. :down: Hopefully next year, we'll have our team back. :)
    So, 2 points for everything that lands in the drawer huh? Works for me! If a professor said it, it must be true! Since my filing system kind of resembles the method anyway, you just saved me hours of work!!! lol.

21. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 28, 2007

You are correct :lol: I look forward to your posting when they do!!!

22. triteacher

triteacher Rookie

Dec 28, 2007

I understand---

I've been setting minor goals for myself, such as "Grade five things and then go do something else."

Little chipping away has helped! I have a huge stack of "to do" pile as well....