Help I'm new to 5th grade

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by snickers, Aug 2, 2007.

1. snickers

snickers Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

Hello everyone! I taught 8th grade Math for 10 years and then I went down to Kindergarten for 5 years. I'm now going to be teaching 5th grade Math. I've very excited but I started getting stressed when I was working on my room today. Any suggestions of bulletin boards or manipulatives or books that I definitely should have?

Thanks for all input!

3. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

I teach 5th grade math also. I love to read The Math Curse to my students and then have them write papers where they create their own math curses. (You'll understand what I mean if you read the book)

I do a Mighty Math bulletin board where there are two word problems on the board and students have 2 weeks to turn in the answers to the problems. It's kinda like an extra credit board.

I use alot of Base10 blocks and fraction pieces for hands on activity.

I bought showerboard at a local store and had it cut to make whiteboards..it was very cheap and a TREMENDOUS help in teaching math. I could call out problems, students work them, and hold up their answers on the whiteboards. I can't imagine teaching math without them.

Hope this helps!

4. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 3, 2007

They will need manipulatives for fractions. We made fraction strips with colored construction paper and used them to play games. You can label dice, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, etc. The kids pair up and take turns rolling the dice. They have their "one whole" fraction strip in front of them and they roll the dice and try to be the first one to make one whole. The activity is written out step by step in Marilyn Burns' Algebraic Thinking book. I also love Read It, Draw It, Solve It for problem solving.
    Yellow and red counters will come in handy for positive and negative number. Another cheap and cool manipulative for positive and negative numbers are tile spacers. You can buy them from Home Depot. Cut off the tops and bottoms of half of them to illustrate how to make zero pairs.

5. snickers

snickers Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

Thanks. I'll go look for those items. I feel like I've bought alot but I'm getting overwhelmed. I want to buy the right things.