Help! I'm interviewing for a special ed job and....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sk8enscars311, Jul 30, 2009.

1. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Jul 30, 2009

I'm a music teacher! I just moved back to my hometown and my hubby and I both teach music. It's a small county with very little movement. We're currently on as subs and we've applied to all 5 special ed jobs that are open. The secretary at the BOE told us that it wouldn't hurt for us to apply as there is a serious shortage and we may have a shot. Well, I got an email today scheduling an interview for a secondary special ed job! I'm not sure as to the nature of the job but from what I've heard all the positions are pretty mild and some are even collaborative. My husband and I are both starting grad classes this fall towards a masters in special ed so that by the end of next year or so we'll be more marketable.

I guess my main question is.... am I nuts??? I have a ton of books to read before then so I don't go in there feeling like a total dummy. I know all the people who do the hiring so that's not at all intimidating. I'm really excited about this because I'm getting tired of teaching music and I'm getting tired of searching for jobs every summer. The special needs students at all my past schools were always my favorites. I also look forward to being able to use my music "expertise" in a classroom setting like that.

Any insight would be helpful.. such as the most important thing I should know going into the interview, what kinds of questions they may ask and what I'm really getting myself into! :) Thanks.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2009

I don't think you're dumb at all! It's a way into the district you want to work in. I added on my sped certification to give myself more options.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 31, 2009

You're getting yourself into employment, a shot at a great retirement, insurance, and an opportunity to teach kids who need someone to love them and direct them.

As far as the interview, just be honest. If you don't know something tell you don't but you know how to search or ask someone who does.

Good luck!!!

5. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Jul 31, 2009

Thanks STG and Hoot Owl. I half expected to get angry responses that I have no business doing this without the proper endorsement.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2009

Having taught before, you are surely familiar with IEPs, 504, accomodations, etc...Talk about how you have differentiated instruction for all learners in the classes you have taught, talk about working with other teachers in a collegial and collaborative manner...Communicate to the interviewers your interest in sped, tell them about the sped program you are pursuing...Good luck!