Help! I'm doing summer school for 1st-4th!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by minnie, May 3, 2017.

1. minnie

minnie Cohort

May 3, 2017

I'll have 15 kids from Monday through Thursday. It's enrichment. Any ideas of activities I could do to incorporate all grads?? I neeeed suggestions!!

3. minnie

minnie Cohort

May 4, 2017

Anyone?

4. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

May 4, 2017

If it's summer school--- don't you have a curriculum to teach?

What type of activities are you looking for?

5. minnie

minnie Cohort

May 7, 2017

It's enrichment summer school not remedial. It's basically a summer camp for incoming 1-4th grade. So, there is no curriculum that I have to teach. I am just looking for Theme of the Week activities that will incorporate all of the grades. I'm excited because our summer school is known for being a blast so I feel the pressure! Just trying to figure out how to accommodate the youngest and and oldest in my class. Thanks for replying!

6. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

May 7, 2017

One week's theme could be color with activities like the carnation food coloring experiment. You could do prisms and rainbows, play with light with flashlights and colored plastic wrap, make art with the dish soap, milk, and food coloring experiment etc. Your 10s will understand more than your 7s, but participation is accessible to the little ones.
    Any excuse to extract strawberry DNA or play with UV-reactive pony beads is good. There's all kinds of sun-safety activities to do with those, plus they're just plain fun.

7. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

May 7, 2017

I'm not sure how much enrichment can occur with such an age group.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 7, 2017

How much do you know about inquiry based learning (as opposed to problem based learning)? Have them work on projects that answer individual questions they may have wanted to get into during the year. Your job would be as a guide to their work.

9. ITeachCS

ITeachCS Guest

May 7, 2017

Do a week on computers or technology. No computers? Do it "unplugged ". There are a lot of resources for fun unplugged activities that teach computational thinking.

google "cs unplugged"

10. minnie

minnie Cohort

May 7, 2017

Thank you for the replies. I agree Gemstone, it'll be difficult with those grades but it's worked in the past with the other teacher so I'll give it a try. I think I'm gonna put them in groups. Each group will have a mixture of grades. The older ones will work on the more advanced part of the lessons and the younger ones will do the more basic part of the lesson.
    Thank you viola! Those are great ideas that I'll use! I'm going to do STEM activities, Shark Week, make pool noodle crafts. We have a pool and I'm a certified life guard with CPR training so we'll go swimming everyday. Good idea catnfiddle but that may be a little difficult with 4 grade levels but I'll definitely look into it!
    I just want the kids to have fun like they did last year!

11. minnie

minnie Cohort

May 7, 2017

Iteachcs, computers are a great idea!