Help! Ideas needed

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by knitter63, Aug 5, 2009.

1. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 5, 2009

I want to create folders with extra work in them for my students to do when they are "done"! I am tired of seeing them fool around when they are finished, and others are still working. I will collect the folders on Friday, and give credit for the work completed. Here are some problems:
    I want to make this work mandatory-something the kids can work on at their pace, but I don't want some kids to NOT do it because they are thinking it won't matter. I also need a name for the folder-I want to make labels for them. How do I go about making it mandatory? Does anyone have name ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

3. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

I've tried this in the past, but didn't have much success. I tried to make it mandatory, but the kids who couldn't get to it were stressed about it. I then tried to make it extra credit, but the kids who couldn't get to it started rushing through thier 'real' work just to get to it.

I finally ditched the idea. Instead I have a list of things students can do if they finish early. The most popular ones are reading anywhere in the room and working on Spelling. In addition, I usually have an art project that is an ongoing project - something for an upcoming bb.

I would love to hear what others suggest.

4. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Aug 5, 2009

When my students finish early they either do sudoku, reading silently, or work on their writing stories. Writing isn't taken home because quite frankly I don't care how well parents write (big problem with parent over helping in my building).

This has allowed the students to always be working on something. I am also currently working folders of extra info on various topics we cover during the year in case the students want to learn more.

5. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Aug 5, 2009

By "matter" I'm assuming you mean some sort of grade? This assumes students are motivated by grades and thought of not completing will horrify them. This may be true for some students (usually your top third) but the bottom third (the ones most likely to fool around) often think of grades as an abstract concept.

Consider: free time should be an incentive (fun) that students work towards. It should not be viewed as reward of work for completing work. If the kid completes assignment to the teacher's standards free time should be fun, something the teacher can live with and learning related. If it's fun - something the kids want - you won't need to dangle threat of checking for credit nor will you have to spend extra time checking.

Of course, this brings up the topic of when can a student say "I'm done" in your class?

6. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 5, 2009

My kids are not motivated by grades-their parents are. My students tend to rush through work-as if it were a race. When I hand it back to them because it is not the quality I expect, I rarely see it again.
    Whereas I would not like to give grades at all, I am mandated to give them. I was trying to think of ways to avoid the constant rushing through work.
    By the way, this is a common problem throughout our district. I appreciate the comments. I have some time to think about this-and I think that the class environment means a lot-and last year's class left a lot to be desired.

7. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

It is great that you want to use every minute! You could also try game buckets to strengthen skills in whatever subject you are doing. For example, one of the choices my students have is practicing dividibility rules with a hundreds chart. It is fun, keeps kids quite, and is beneficial. Also, kids have to finish their work first and do it well. If they rushed to get to the games then they get to do it again.

8. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 5, 2009

I use math games and special projects (like make a class poster for a recently mastered concept), but sometimes I'll pull out a big binder of cursive practice sheets. They love that!

9. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 5, 2009

10. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 5, 2009

I love the game idea-EDM comes with many games, and I have math center games to use as well. This is a more positive approach than the folders. Thanks for the ideas!

11. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Aug 5, 2009

12. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Aug 6, 2009

"A teacher's standard of excellence will be determined by the sloppiest piece of work he/she will accept since by accepting it the teacher has determined the standard." - FJ.

Say a teacher says something like, "Class, you have 20 problems to complete. When you finish I want you to turn your paper into the "in" basket and you may choose a free time activity at the center." This is known as a speed incentive - the fastest done gets to play.

Standard of excellence approach, "Class, you have 20 problems to complete. When you finish the first six (judgment) I want you to raise your hand and I will come around to check. If they are done correctly with no errors, you have followed proper headings and form as taught in class, and the paper is neat, easy to read you are finished and may turn your paper in. However, if there are any errors in the first six, proper form has not been followed, or your paper is not neat you will have to complete all 20 problems." What's the reward for doing neat and accurate work? You get less work. What's the reward for doing fast and sloppy? You get more work.

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 6, 2009

LoomisTrout,
    With all due respect, you are making it sound as though I am a lousy teacher, which I am not. All good teachers have moments of frustration. I suppose if you walked in my shoes last year, you would better understand my frustration.
    I asked for ideas to use because I want to become an even better teacher. That is what I love about this forum. We offer help without judging one another. Please consider this before you post.

14. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 6, 2009

This is just my opinion but I think this causes more stress, because the student can't make any errors. I can tell the difference between students who rush through and don't give their best to students who truly try and made a few errors. I don't want to give a student more work because they made an error. They are learning and may need some one on one.
    Again, its one thing if a student rushes through because they didn't really care and didn't do their best. But giving students more work because of errors is stressful.
    Now one argument could be that the original assignment was 20 problems and the reward for doing problems correctly is that they only have to do 6, but that's not how students will perceive it no matter how you spin it. They will still think they are being punished for making errors.
    These are just my thoughts. Maybe I am not understanding something.

15. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 6, 2009

I am replying on my own quote because I realized that I left something important out. I left out the kids who try and didn't rush but may have made errors. With those kids I do some interventions right there and see what they don't understand.