Help! Ideas for organizing two classrooms

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by zoey'smom, Jun 19, 2010.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jun 19, 2010

Next year I will be teaching Preschool and Kindergarten. I am not an organized person. My files are already a mess. I am going to have two classrooms. So I am starting early getting things ready and organized. I know there are many organized teachers here. Please help me. Any ideas and suggestions would be great.

Here is some of my questions:

How or where do you keep your files?
    Do you put them on the computer or in notebooks or another way?
    Should I seperate all my files and all my teacher materials into Kindergarten and preschool? A lot what I have, and I do have A LOT, can be used for both. If I don't seperate it, where do I keep it all, in what room do I keep it?

How should I organize my files- by theme, alphabetical, by season? What works best for you?

My plan is to go over to school this summer and go through all my files and organize them and throw oe give away anything I don't need, so maybe I can start the year organized and make it easier on me.

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2010

I would keep your preschool and K files in one room, because there is so much overlap, and you will always have high and low students.

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jun 19, 2010

That's what I was thinking too. Now I have to decide which room.

5. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Jun 19, 2010

When I taught K I organized my files (centers, books, etc) into themes. For example, we would start off the year with an All About Me Theme and I would have everything I needed for that theme at my fingertips. When it was time for the next theme I would just pull out that file.

6. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 19, 2010

When I taught Pre-School and then later Kindergarten, I also keep my things organized by theme. You could make a chart of the skills covered by each theme so you make sure you cover all of your state's objectives.

How about setting up a teacher office that would have all of the files and other supplies that you need in one of the rooms?

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2010

I have mine sorted by theme, in order that they occur during the year. I have a filing cabinet just for math, one just for language arts and one just for SS and Science. Then I have a filing cabinet for administration stuff.

I do have a couple of holiday binders where I keep activities and examples of holiday stuff.
    I have a few baskets that I keep my upcoming work inside. After the people make copies, I place them in the baskets for easy access.
    If I were you, I'd go through the files and throw out extra copies. Recycle the extra copies - it will clear a lot of space in your filing cabinet. During the school year, after and activity place extra copies in the recycle bin or do what I do (I place them in an "indoor recess" folder where the kids can use old paper to free draw).

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2010

I have a website and blog for classroom organization. The blog link is below and the website is www.clutterfreeclassroom.com. Hopefully you can find something there to help you.

If you can take and post some photos of your space you'll get lots of feedback and ideas!

9. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jun 21, 2010

Thanks everyone for your replies. I like the teacher office idea. I am going over today to start going through my files and I will see about taking some pictures of the two rooms. They are letting me move the two rooms right next to each other which I think will help. Another thing you should know there will two rooms for Kindergarten one for morning where I will teach the Lang. Arts and then the class will go to the room next door in the afternoon where they will do mostly math and science. So I am giving most of the math and science files to her.

10. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jun 22, 2010

I am not sure if this will work but I put some pictures of my classroom on my facebook page. These are before pictures. I am now sorting through everything and trying to get organized any suggestions would be great. When I get everything done I will post the after pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=135436&id=100000855651067

11. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jun 22, 2010