HELP, I Want to RESIGN!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by guest3687, Jan 31, 2011.

1. guest3687

guest3687 New Member

Jan 31, 2011

Hi, I am a first year teacher (since august 30, 2010) and I have held on as long as I can.

I have my bachelors for elementary education, did student teaching in a first grade class. Most experience with kids have been with 2-5 year olds. I was nervous about being offered a position teaching fourth grade but said I would try the challenge, and therefore accepted the job.

However I am always stressed and anxious, since October. I've relapsed into depression, been in and out of work so sick leave is used up. I'm seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist and if I actually thought I could make it through to June I wouldn't be writing this post.

I want to go back to my younger kids. I had a job on and off for the last 2 years while in school working with infants to five year olds, and I LOVED it. I want to be back there, or at least with that age group. I plan on contacting that job this week to see if they have any openings or sub positions. I just need an out, one that is as smooth as possible.

My mothers concern is of course my benefits and what not. My concern is being sane and happy. I've held on for as long as I could. Going into the classroom like this doesn't help me, the students, their parents, or the rest of the staff. I know leaving now may mess me up with the county forever, but like I've said I have been down since October, wanted to end before 2011 even started, have so much going on with me, that I do not care. If for some reason in the future I want to return to this county then God will make a way. Right now I just want an out and I am ready to give my letter of resignation on Monday, February 7th as my two weeks notice.

It is time for me to stop trying to please everyone, and carrying the wright of the world, and the thoughts and judgments of others in my mind and fix me. It's my life, I'm the one who has to live it, not anyone else.

First off, THANKS for reading through my ranting.

Secondly, any suggestions or helpful hints for me at this time?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2011

I would get all your affairs at the school in order before you send in your letter of resignation.

Get most of your things packed up, write your good-bye letter to the students, have your grading and planning in order...This way, if you ever do plan to go back...you haven't burned every bridge.

4. guest3687

guest3687 New Member

Jan 31, 2011

I am currently on leave for the next few weeks because of some of the things going on and so i'm not even at the school. Plus I don't really have anything to pack up. I can only think of a couple of things I want out of the room.

5. tortega

tortega Rookie

Jan 31, 2011

I'm sorry you are going through such a hard time. Yes, you must take care of yourself. If you don't mind I will say a prayer for you.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

6. guest3687

guest3687 New Member

Jan 31, 2011

Thank you very much. Prayer is always welcome.

7. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jan 31, 2011

You are young and, as a veteran about to retire, I think you are smart to get out of the profession. I have loved my students and career, however the love of teaching has been sucked out of the profession. Teacher bashing, over-paid, underworked teachers, off all summer ... It has taken its toll! I am so glad my own children did not follow in my footsteps.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2011

What exactly about this job has been so difficult for you? I taught kinder for a few years and was moved up to fifth grade. It was a shocking change, but a wonderful year. I had so much fun working with 10/11 year olds. I learned so much about this age group and their curriculum.

With my current job, I get to work with second all the way up to sixth graders. It's been very interesting, to say the least, to get to know kids from different age groups. And, I've found that fourth graders rock! I love that age group! So, it makes me sad that you are so miserable with them.

Is it the school? The kids, themselves? Have you had the opportunity to obverse another fourth grade class? If you are miserable, then yes, you need to get out. I'm just curious if it's something that we can help you with, though, before you do quit.

9. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Feb 1, 2011

First, your health is the most important thing here. I was in your position last year. It was not easy, it was heartbreaking, because I hated not doing my best for the kids, I hated the job, I pretty much hated my life. Depression can do that to you. I now have so much respect for those who have it and those who work with people with mental issues.

You say you're in therapy, are you also on medication? Do you feel that it's helping? While therapy helped me immensely, I don't think I would have gotten out of depression without medicine. I truly believe that it's an inbalance of chemicals in your brain. And it took three different tries with different medicines before I started feeling human again.

Next, check with your district to see if you can get put on medical leave for the rest of the year. This will usually require a letter or form filled out from a doctor that you're medically unable to teach. Probably one of your therapists would be best qualified, unless you have another medical condition. You might possibly be able to defer any college loans you have also because you are unable to work, so check into that if you have loans. I didn't know that medical leave was an option while I was going through last year, but it is in many places. If you're able to do this, you might possibly be able to transfer to a different school or grade level for the next year. Or at least you'd have over the summer to find another job.

You need to know if you can lose your license or be sued if you quit mid-year. If you signed a contract, this is a more likely possibility. I hate to say it, but this isn't like other jobs where you can give a two week notice and just quit. They may be able to make you work a certain amount of time beyond the two weeks.

Reach out to your people at school. I don't know your situation, but if you have teacher friends at school, tell them about the difficulties you're having and see if they can help. Perhaps you can spilt up the subjects and each plan for what you're good at and share plans. Maybe you can observe each other and provide ideas.

I made it through until June, but I still wonder if I did the best thing for my health. By the end of it, I was pretty much a basketcase, but I wanted to make it to see my class' graduation.

Finally, I want you to consider not diving into another teaching job until you're emotionally and physically healthy. Subbing might be ok, being a teacher assistant might be ok, working in a different field for a little while might be ok. I wouldn't just jump back into teaching, even if you do see a position with an age group you prefer. You need to take some time and do some soul searching. Make sure that it's the age group/grade that you hate and not something else about teaching.

Sorry I wrote a novel, lol. I just want you to know that others have been there, and lived to tell it. I'll be praying and thinking for you.

10. cheerfulfifi

cheerfulfifi Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

I agree with the above poster about looking into medical leave. A person in our district was going through similar issues. She took medical leave for the rest of the year. She came back about 2 years later in a different position in the district, but is much happier.
    Look into all of your options before you just leave. You may be able to take leave for the end of the year and take the time to decide what you really want.
    Good luck!

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 1, 2011

I fully agree. It sounds like you definitely need some time away from working in general. Take care of yourself! :hugs:

12. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Feb 1, 2011

Your experience sounds similar to mine; I was hired on an intern credential, and so I had the burden of college classes on top of the burdens of being a first-year teacher. (I had subbed throughout the prior year, in an affluent suburban district, and took my first credential-program classes that summer; I was hired to teach in an urban high school.)

But your situation is different, and you need to identify the specific issues that you feel strongest about.

Looking back, I recognize that "finishing out the year" might have killed me. I ended up quitting, three weeks into the second semester. I tried to explain my decision process in an essay that's now on my blog:

http://www.markwelchblog.com/2007/04/03/thoughts-on-not-becoming-a-teacher/

This article also links back to an earlier essay, written when I was joyfully moving toward a career in teaching.

After I quit, a colleague confided that he, too, had quit his first teaching job mid-year, and that it was certainly possible to keep moving forward. However, in the current economy, getting a new teaching job (especially in the environment you'd most enjoy) in the next few years might be very, very difficult.

13. guest3687

guest3687 New Member

Feb 1, 2011

Yes I am going to look into extending my medical leave until the end of the year. The only problem is that the medical leave is unpaid so I currently have no income.

14. juliet

juliet New Member

Mar 7, 2011

I have been teaching for 25 years and I still dread going to work.I am jealous you are leaving.If I had my time again I wish I had found a new career.My workload is unbearable and I am always stressed.Run while you can.

15. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 7, 2011

First :hugs:

I understand where you're coming from.

You don't have to answer publically, but I wonder are you going through something else in your personal life that might be adding to your negative feelings and depression in your professional one.

My first year of teaching I was going through a VERY tough time (my boyfriend passed away, brother was going through a nasty divorce, grandmother was developing Alzheimers, etc) so there were many times I didn't think I was going to make it.

I remember one morning that year I was in the parking lot with one foot on the pavement and one foot in the car debating whether or not I should get out and go to school or get back in the car, drive to my Mom's house and send in a resignation.

Luckily, nearly four years later, I am in a MUCH better place and I love teaching. I think you have to find what works for you. I would try to stick it out to June while continuing to talk to your therapist and getting support from the A to Z community as well as seasoned teachers/mentors.

BUT, at the end of the day, YOU know what is best for you and have to take care of yourself. Good luck :hugs: