helP! i want to become a teacher pleaseee

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mary2122, Jan 9, 2008.

1. mary2122

mary2122 Rookie

Jan 9, 2008

i just want to become a teacher :( advice please

hello, my name is mary and i am new to this forum.....i need advice badly....i am a senior in college going for my bachelors in elementary education in pennsylvania. The problem is......there was a major family financial emergency and at the same time ireached my limit with my loan company. I cant apply for a new one because our income is low now and i cant prove to them i can pay them back. Also, i cant change the fafsa form because its in themiddle of the term. SO i decided to come home (new york) and go to a cheap school around here and commute...the school gave me a scholarship for 4,000 and is saving me a ton of money.....the only thing.....the school doesnt offer a bachelors in education....so they said that i should graduate with a bachelors of behavioral science, then go on to my masters at that same school where i would become certified to teach elementary education and special education. Now my main question....would a school look at me poorly because i didnt graduate with a bachelors in education??? do you all think i will beokay?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2008

Mary, there are lots of teachers out there that don't have a bachelor's in education, but went and got their master's in education or went through an alternative certification program.

4. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Jan 9, 2008

At my college, University of Pittsburgh, they don't offer any undergraduate teaching degrees. So my bachelor's degree is in Applied Developmental Psychology & Children's Literature, and my Masters' is in Teaching. I got hired in PA directly following my completion of my Masters'. Good luck!

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2008

I'm not sure about PA rules, but on the surface, if you don't have a degree in education...you will not be able to teach.

What you can do is apply for a substitute certificate, and find an alternatitive program towards teacher certification, that may allow you to skip some courses. I would find out exactly what is required for certification.

In addition, have you considered online or cohort programs? They are more expenesive, but faster, and give you the freedom to work during the day, by taking classes after hours or via computer only.

In otherwords, before you give away more of that student loan...make sure you can appy to an education program! otherwise, you will just end up spending more money, taking out more loans!

good luck!

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2008

oh, if you were interested in early childhood, you could go the social services route... BS in Family Studies, Child Psychology, Social Services, etc. Many schools and education programs will hire teachers with those degrees.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2008

I think she said she's getting a Bachelors in behavioral science and then a masters in Ed.

They won't look at you poorly...the only thing is you will be more ex$pen$ive to hire with a Masters in Ed over a Bachelors. May not make a BIG difference though, I believe in NY everyone HAS TO get their Masters in order to stay licensed...:love:

8. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Jan 9, 2008

As far as I know in NY everybody does eventually need to receive their Master's degree (I believe within 5 years?)

9. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 9, 2008

Go ahead with it.

10. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jan 9, 2008

I don't have a bachelor's in education. I just took the necessary classes (a post bach teacher prep program at the local community college) to get enough ed. credits to apply for a certificate. I don't think administrators even look at anything other than your teaching certificate--no one has ever said anything about my ed. background.

Good luck!

11. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jan 9, 2008

I don't think that schools will look at you poorly. Many universities don't offer an undergrad degree in education. Same thing happened to me.;)
    UCLA doesn't offer one either. I didn't want to turn down the offer to go to a wonderful school just because they didn't offer an ed degree. :)
    The only thing that stinks is that you won't be teaching as soon as someone who received their BA/credential during the 1st 4 years of college.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 9, 2008

my degress are in math/probability theory. I did the alternitive licensure thing. If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way to get it.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 9, 2008

There are whole states that don't offer undergraduate degrees in education, or at least discourage them...

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2008

I have a bachelor's degree in English and am working on a single-subject teaching credential in English. I live in California, and here all you need is a Bachelor's degree and then your teaching credential. I don't know about other states.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 9, 2008

(whistling and looking up at the ceiling innocently)

Like, f'rinstance, TamiJ's state...

16. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2008

As long as you will have teaching credentials you should be fine. Also, most schools don't mind paying more for a person that has a masters degree because they don't make that much more.

17. mary2122

mary2122 Rookie

Jan 9, 2008

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! o my goodness you just calmed my nerves!!!!!! THANK U!!!! also this forum seems so helpful im so glad i found it!!!!

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 9, 2008

Welcome to our playground, then, mary2122!

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2008

aka as the midnight madness
    or midnight special..depending on which side of the fence you're on...

I apologize for not reading carefully. :( I thought you were worried about not getting certified period. yeah, you can go thru a masters program in IL also. (MA, M.Ed or MAT-master of arts in teaching) nobody really cares what your other degrees are in...as long as you have that certificate!

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 9, 2008

A little unsolicited advice, though, mary2122: take all of your classwork seriously, because whether your degree is stamped "EDUCATION" on the hide or not, those classes are a good deal of your toolkit when you start teaching. And, yes, I mean to include the arcane-sounding stuff from Modern World History and your science general ed classes: the more deeply you understand this our world, the better you'll be able to equip your future students to grow into their own understanding.

21. mary2122

mary2122 Rookie

Jan 9, 2008

yea your right...i love learning and i take all my classes seriously...not to sound like im bragging but i have a 3.8 gpa.....so yea i take every class seriously and i just love learning about ANYTHING....sometimes i just look up random stuff in google and learn about it haha its fun to me :) thank you all again!!!!!

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 9, 2008

Sounds very promising, then, mary.

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2008

Well said TG...

there is no such thing as a blow-off class anymore...

take each class and credit hour seriously

PE 106 -Introduction to Tennis, was time well spent! I needed balance and excercise between my ed. courses! Hitting a few aces helped me clear my mind and keep my sanity!

24. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 13, 2008

I got my BA in Marketing and then got my masters in Education. No one had a problem with it but I was also nervous like you. If they didn't have a problem with mine, which didn't relate AT ALL, then you will be fine.

Good luck:)

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2008

In general, I think most administrators are happy to see us! Doesn't matter how we get there, as long as we do!

26. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Jan 13, 2008

I didn't have a Bachelor's in Education either. I double majored in Biology and English with every intention of going to medical school. But one thing led to another and I ended up getting a one-year "emergency license" and then went alternate route.

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 13, 2008

LOL...I did bowling my sr year.

28. Mrs. H

Mrs. H Rookie

Jan 13, 2008

Still being in school myself, I can totally relate to your problem. I think you will be fine as long as you get your teaching cert. I hope everything works out for you.

29. rosew

rosew Companion

Apr 1, 2008

i have a question about the alternate route

what is the least expensive way to become a p-3 teacher with a degree in psychology..doesnt need to be the quickest..

30. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Apr 1, 2008

For these first two years of my major, I have been Elementary/Secondary Ed, but my two year degree will be an AA. Wheh I begin at Fairleigh Dickinson in the Fall, my major for my BA will be in Behavioral Sciences/Humanities, and my Masters will be in Education. That is how their program is structured on my satellite campus. At the end of this 2 year, I will have both a BA and a Masters, because I will be taking graduate courses at the same time as the BA coursework. My teaching degree will be the Masters.

Wheew. All that to say, you'll be fine with the Masters in Ed. You'll take the Praxis II for the content knowledge you want to teach, and that information should come from the coursework you are taking now in your program.

31. ms lynn

ms lynn New Member

Apr 1, 2008

Okay I have a question on these lines. I'm about to complete a two year degree in early childhood now I would like to continue for my BA but I am really interested in early childhood not elementary. I was considering a major in social service area but would really like to teacher. Any Suggestions. I am an adult learner with 10 years of prior teaching experience so I would just like to complete my college education and get back out there teaching.

32. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2008

You don't need a bachelors in education. In NYS, you can even get a provisional license without an education degree. I'm not sure exactly what the requirements are, but it can get you a teaching job while you work on your masters for permanent licensing.