Help! I Want to be a Teacher!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissJai, Jul 9, 2008.

1. MissJai

MissJai New Member

Jul 9, 2008

I just recently graduated from a 4yr NY institution with my BS in Management/Sports Management. Now I'm stuck and have no idea where to go from here. I originally began college as a Secondary Education/English major and changed after the first semester. I am happy with the degree I earned, but I regret not sticking it out in Education. I have been told that I can still earn a Masters in Education but I have been searching Accredited Online schools for information and I am lost.

3. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

I earned a masters in education, and my bachelors was accounting. This allowed me to get certified to teach. Maybe you could call around to the education departments of some schools you're interested in and see if they offer such a program.

4. MissJai

MissJai New Member

Jul 9, 2008

AngelM:

What course or specific interest/program did you choose? I keep looking for something that says "Secondary English" and I'm coming up empty handed. Maybe I'm not searching correctly.

Thanks for your reply!!!

5. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

My masters is in curriculum and instruction. The program was called interdisciplinary studies.

6. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2008

You might try english language learners. In California CLAD is the abbreviation used.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 9, 2008

When I went to school (in NY) I was under the impression that you could not get your teaching certification unless your BA was in certain areas. I would e-mail or call the NYS department of education and see what you will be able to do before you start taking graduate classes.

8. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 9, 2008

I'm a little confused.

Are you wanting to teach NOW while pursuing a Master's or would you rather earn an advanced degree first, before you teach?

If you want to teach now and you're in New York City, contact the New York City Teaching Fellows. This is an alternative certification program to get people with non-education college degrees into the classroom.

Here is a link to their website.

http://www.nyctf.org/the_fellowship/prgm_overview.html

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 9, 2008

Miss Jai,

There are alternative certification programs, but be forewarned -- most require not only that you have a BS degree, but also that you have been in the working world for at least 5 years.

You may well find a Master's of Education program in teacher's education that will accept you, but they will probably require quite a few undergraduate prerequisites before they allow you to begin. That is very typical.

If you live in an area with a huge teacher shortage, you may be able to find a school that would be willing to help you get a temporary license -- but I know in my area they won't do that. In the area I live, only about half of the districts will even consider career-switchers! But in other parts of the country, these people are having no problems getting jobs. It all depends on your locality.

Good luck in your search.

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2008

You'll probably have to do an initial certification program in adolescence education for your masters. I just recently completed an assistantship where I worked at an university in New York state and this is what many people would do. It usually takes at least a two year commitment to complete the program as you are expected to do field placements for three semesters and student teaching for one semester. Also, if you haven't met all the prerequisites, like a certain number of credits in English, you will have to fulfill those requirements. Good luck with everything!