Help! I think I found a possible reason that I am not being looked at.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeacherTammy, Jul 20, 2009.

1. TeacherTammy

TeacherTammy New Member

Jul 20, 2009

I have been on the job hunt for 2 years. And something that I thought MIGHT be a reason that I am not being called is banging louder in my head. Could it be? How can I help myself now?

My university grades student teaching on a pass/fail. I wish they didn't. I would have preferred all As, but I received a "pass" or, on the transcript, an "S". There was also a 1 credit hour seminar course we had to sign up for. It was the meetings at the beginning of the semester and the 4 meetings when all the student teachers would gather and listen to the supervisors talk. (Most agreed that they were useless.)

At our first meeting (BEFORE student teaching began) we were told about our "work sample" (the big unit you would be graded on...but graded? on a pass/fail?) and also that they wanted us to keep in touch with them. We would do this through writing a weekly diary and send it in. Nothing long, only a paragraph or two, about our reactions to what happened that week.

Well, I went through the semester and ended up doing extremely well. My work sample was outstanding. My experience went excellently. My letters of recommendation are incredible. Both my teacher and my supervisor were SURE I would be gobbled up, by employers, immediately. Two years later-I'm still waiting.

Here is what my transcript says for my student teaching:

Sem:Elem Schl Tchng Hours: 1 Grade: B
    Student Teaching Hours: 10 Grade: S

B????? Why????

It was the diary entries. They wanted diaries sent to them in e-mail (which I did) but for the weeks that the supervisor visited I kept in touch by TALKING to her. THOSE weeks weren't just a short paragraph. On THOSE weeks I had lesson plans available, cooperating teacher's written comments, my weekly lesson plan schedule (all of these were handed to her and she took them with her), and we would talk for about 45 minutes. I didn't think that on TOP of that that I had to write a diary. I had told her it all.

So for THAT I was given a B.

Now, pretend that you are a potential employer. What do you see when you quickly look at my grades? A "B". :( What is an "S"? Who KNOWS! But a "B"-EVERYBODY knows. And who wants a "B" teacher on their student teaching? You want the "A" teacher. (By the way, my other grades? Nearly all A's. So the "B" stands out much more.)

THIS thought (and that I am not being called for interviews) has kept me up at night and nearly has made me sick! The other night I was even letting thoughts of forging my transcripts and changing it to an "A". (It was late and I was feeling VERY desperate.)

How can I help myself? I think my application is being tossed asided due to this.

IF I get an interview-do I try to explain it?

What can I do?

3. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

I really honestly don't think anybody looks at individual grades on your transcripts. At most they may look at your overall GPA. It's a a really tough market out there right now. I'm now on my second year looking too and the pickings seem to be even slimmer this year.

There are many threads on this board filled with stories about hundreds of applicants for one position. Even in former teacher-starved Florida there are 150-200 people for every one position. I truly believe that more will open up as it gets closer to the school year but for now keep plugging away.

4. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

Thus far, I have not had any P's look or ask to look at my transcripts. I'm sure that it isn't it. It is just a tough market right now. I'm in TN, where are all are you applying? PM if you'd like.

5. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

Breathe. I think you are over analyzing. We all are at this point, but it doesn't get us anywhere.

I don't think one B would make a difference. The S is a bit confusing, but I imagine the transcript has a key, or that employers in your area are used to this. I personally think the transcripts rarely get looked at. The principals look at your cover letter, resume, and experience. They may look through letters of rec., then glide over your transcripts.

Once again, breathe, it is a hard job market for all of us.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2009

I know that here they only want transcripts so one, they know that you went to college and got your BS or BA degree and two, so they know where to place you on the pay. Why don't you ask the next time they say thank you but no thanks. Kindly ask why they did not choose you so that you can work to improve your chances for next time. THat might give you an insight as to what's going on. I do know that for the past two years, it's been a very tough market.

7. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

If transcripts and even GPAs weighed heavily on the decision, I think many of us on this board would be in different places (either in a position when we aren't currently or not selected for a position we hold).

I understand the need to analyze every stamp placement, handwriting sample, etc. but you really can't beat yourself up over it. If it would make you feel better, perhaps you could include something in your coverletter or an item in your portfolio outlining your ST experiences and mention that you passed on a pass/fail scale while also including some highlights.

I'm not sure how others do their coverletters and I don't even want to get into analyzing mine but one thing I do at the end is bullet some highlights; my gpa (as if it matters), praxis tests completed, short description of my experience, etc. I think I have 4-5 bullets. I've gotten pretty positive feedback so far on this as Ps have mentioned it's easy for them to pick out my strengths and is visually interesting. You could even do something like this in a brochure.

I sincerely doubt that the P and B are disqualifying you from interviews, remember you just need 1 person to say yes and then you'll have a chance to explain why you're qualified!

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 20, 2009

I gave my school that I work at a copy of my transcript and I had C's and D's in science courses on it. (And I *TEACH* science) They cared more about what I had to say, my demo lesson, and the recommendations of those I worked with prior. I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially since I had a great portfolio for them to look at that showed what a hard worker I was and my idea on teaching. (Even that they barely looked at--- they wanted more face time with me instead)

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2009

I also agree that they don't look at grades. I asked my principal about it when I had to interview him for one of my Master's classes. He said that if they based it on grades, he would have never been hired!

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

Ok... so what DO they base it on? I mean...WHAT gets you through the first cut?

The things I think it WOULD be...don't seem to be getting me through. Has anyone asked a principal what it IS that gets one through?

And of course, now-a-days - when they are getting hundreds and thousands of applications for one position, what gets you through the herd to at LEAST be looked at?

Is it computerized? and they scan the applications for a single word or phrase? Do you think? Say.... only show applications that mention... RtI or Biligual or Balanced Literacy?

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 20, 2009

I have done many interviews for my former grade level and I never looked at grades. In fact many principals don't ever see them.

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

Relax, I also think you are over analyzing the situation. Quite honestly, I don't even think they look at all of that paper work that applicants send in. Peachyness gave some good advice. Also, try writing down the questions that you remember from the interview when you get back to your car. Then practice your answers to those questions when you are not under stress or have to think on the fly. It is a tough job market out there. Keep your head up.

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 21, 2009

I don't think they look much either. Honestly my freshman year grades... Well, not so good. And they are right there for anyone to see. Just keep trying. You can see from this board that interviews are really starting to open up!!!!! ALL THE BEST!!!!

14. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I think you are definitely over-analyzing. They usually don't even look at your transcripts or even ask for them half of the time until they are considering hiring....and even then..if they really like you they aren't going to ditch you because of a grade like that! a B isn't even a bad grade!!! If it said "FAIL" I'd be worried!

They don't usually pay that close of attention to the individual grades, but they probably look at your overall GPA if anything.