Help! I stink at teaching writing!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Toast, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Toast

Toast Companion

Aug 19, 2011

Hi fellow teachers. I am a 3rd grade teacher going into my 4th year teaching and I have a question for you.

What do you recommend for reading/self professional development for becoming better at teaching writing.

I am embarrassed to admit it, but I am not very good at teaching writing. Reading, math, science, social studies......I am confident in those areas, but writing? I struggle.

Any recommended reading/websites/teaching strategies from those who have mastered the art of teaching writing?

Not handwriting........... actual writing of paragraphs.

Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2011

www.writingfix.com was my life savor last year.

I also start with 4 square writing and the 6 traits. 4 square will help you organize the students when writing and start to add details, 6 traits will help with much more areas of writing but doesn't offer a specific graphic organizer.

4. MIteacher

MIteacher Rookie

Aug 20, 2011

Two Writing Teachers

I recommend the website Two Writing Teachers.

The website offers many great links as well as current blogs.http://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com/

I have found many of their posts to be inspiring and helpful.:)

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2011

Best advice I was given years ago: You don't have to be a great writer for your students to learn from you. You just need to be a little bit better than they are.

I think this is a Nancie Atwell quote, but she is definitely not who told me this.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 20, 2011

I love Lucy Calkins and her approach goes well with the 6 plus 1 writing traits. Her books may not be cheap. Her lessons are scripted but I love how it builds a community of writers and the lessons are easily digestible, predictable and it follows a writer's workshop format. Go on you tube and listen to her interviews and watch a sample lesson.

Make sure, however, that your distict's pacing guide doesn't already follow some program and specific materials.

I'm only directly familiar with the K program but I know she has a k-2 set and a 3-5 set. I will admit I don't find her books incredibly teacher friendly but I do like the lessons.

Make sure, how

7. Toast

Toast Companion

Aug 20, 2011

Thanks!

8. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 20, 2011

I mixed 4 square and 6 traits, too, when I was in the classroom. I feel like the 6 traits gives me the road map for the year, and the 4 square gets me started with ideas and organization.

9. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Aug 21, 2011

I'd definently go with the 4 square, made my life so much easier! Lucy Caulkins as well! Good Luck! :D

10. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Aug 21, 2011

11. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Aug 21, 2011

When I taught grade 3, I used a book called, 'The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever'. I bought it through Scholastics and it truly is a wonderful book. This book focuses specifically on story writing, but the lessons and activities could definitely help your students become better writers in all areas.