Help! I start Wednesday!!!

Discussion in 'High School' started by thepilotsgal, May 3, 2009.

1. thepilotsgal

thepilotsgal Rookie

May 3, 2009

Ok, so I got the job at the college in their Adult Education Department teaching English and I start THIS Wednesday! I'm FREAKING OUT so bad!!! I don't know what level these students are at- though during the interview I was told they are all high school age students- what I am supposed to teach and where to even begin. There's a "crash course" on Tuesday afternoon from 1-4 where they will tell myself and all the other new teachers what to expect, but I need more time than that. Originally when I got hired (just last Friday) I was told that I wouldn't be starting until mid- June, but they want me to start this session and I'm so unprepared and don't want my students to suffer because of this. Could someone please help and give some "first day" easy ice-breaker/ lessons? I just feel like I'm going into this thing with not nearly enough time to get prepared. Thanks for any help you can offer!!!

3. justfluttering

justfluttering Rookie

May 3, 2009

Take a deep breath. The first thing your students need is not curriculum but classroom behavior. My co-op teacher spent TWO WEEKS on procedures and behavior. While the other teachers plunged into biology, she taught her students to put a heading on all their papers, to take their hats off, to sit and listen, to wait for her to dismiss them, to follow directions, and not to be late. She taught her students that every paper assigned HAD to be completed or she would call home and keep them after school. She got their personal information and home phone numbers, she talked about herself and had family pictures up on the wall by her desk. She showed her kids how to come in the classroom and pick up the handouts (she had a little table where she put the daily work on) She had a shelf for each day of the week so that at the end of the day, she moved all daily papers to the correct shelf. This way any kids that had been absent knew exactly what they had missed and could easily pick up the handouts.

4. justfluttering

justfluttering Rookie

May 3, 2009

Start with Harry Wong's "First Days of School" and do it. Really, it would have saved my semester if I had really done what Harry suggested. Ask about the curriculum. Your school should not expect you to write a curriculum or to take the standards and make lesson plans from the standards. If your school does not have a curriculum and they just smile at you as they hand you the keys and a textbook, you know that you can do whatever you want and they can't complain. You can find the state standards and several districts have great curriculums all online for free. Plus you can get lesson plans online too that are very nice. Start off hard, don't go easy on them. You need to quiz them on what they know, how can you teach them anything until you know what they have done previously? In Biology my teacher started with inquiry, inferring, and team building. You can start with some basics too.