Help, I start student teaching tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by jennyjenjen, Apr 6, 2008.

1. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Apr 6, 2008

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on my preliminary credential for mild/moderate disabilities and I start student teaching tomorrow. I am going to be placed in a mild/mod. SDC class with elementary students. My question is what makes a great student teacher? What do you expect of your student teachers? Have you had a bad student teacher experience? What did your student teacher do that you thought was unprofessional? What did your good student teachers do that made them stand out?

Thank you in advance for any advice or responses!

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2008

Wow! You're starting student teaching late in the year! How long does your student teaching last? I started my student teaching in mid January and will finish at the very beginning of May, which makes just about 13 weeks. I am general edu., but have had a positive student teaching experience and just wanted to share my thoughts.

I think what has made my student teaching experience so postive is that I have been incredibly easy going. My first mentor teacher was ready for me to jump in right away and my second mentor teacher (I'm still in this placement) seems to be hesitant with letting me jump in. She knows I am more than capable, but it's like she doesn't want anyone else teaching her class! Ha! I think it's always best for a student teacher to let the mentor teacher guide how the placement is going to go. Just remember that you will soon have your own classroom. If your mentor teacher is hesitant to let you jump in, show her/him that you're more than capable by offering ideas for lessons and activities and by slyly jumping in whenever you can with instruction and management.

4. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Apr 6, 2008

Thank you for responding so quickly. The university I go to is on a quarter system. Our spring quarter started on April 1 and ends June 11. For the sp. ed. program we only have one quarter of student teaching to earn our preliminary credential. Once we find a job, we complete about another year's worth of coursework while we are employed to earn a cleared, professional credential.

I consider myself easygoing and flexible so hopefully those personality traits will help me out in student teaching.

Emmakate, what grade are you working with?

NewSpEdTeacher2017 likes this.
  5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2008

That's neat that you do a quarter-long student teaching placement and then you finish the rest once you're employed.

My first placement was in kindergarten and my second and current placement is in third grade.

6. boykinsj

boykinsj New Member

Apr 6, 2008

I would suggest asking the mentor teacher where she would want you to start. Some teachers are territorial and might get a bit disturbed if you just jump in capable or no. Other teachers expect you to jump right in and get your feet wet.
    More importantly, I would say observing the teacher in action and learning all you can about the students is most important.

7. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 7, 2008

So, "tomorrow" was today--how'd it go :)?

. . .I agree with emmakate, be flexible, offer to do things that obviously need doing, ask before doing things that are less obvious b/c somethings there is a specific reason for what might seem like a minor detail to you at first. Ask specific questions, b/c your CT probably has about a million things on the brain, and may have a hard time remembering what he/she has or hasn't told you. Don't be afraid to contribute ideas, but make sure you are respectful (I had an OT intern in my class who treated me [the teacher] as if I didn't know anything at all [not true b/c I've worked with kids with OT issues and various OTs for years] and that was frustrating and quite unprofessional on her part).

My best advice is just take advantage of this time to soak up as much information as you possibly can b/c you never know when an idea will come in handy a few years down the road. And HAVE FUN!