Help...I really need some words of wisdom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Elm512, May 30, 2007.

1. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

May 30, 2007

My problem is so complicated- I don't even know where to begin.

I am very far into my BA Elementary Ed. Basically I started panicking about the job market, salary etc and started having second thoughts. I've always wanted to be a nurse too, so was thinking about switching to that. Now I feel even WORSE. Can I give up a great career (how can you beat the hours and vacation time when you're a MOM?) for very high stress, long hours, but a much more secure position with much better pay?
    I just want to do what is best for my family. I have 2 young kids, 19 months and 4. We want to have our 3rd and last in about 6 years. We want to own a house. We don't want to be broke. I don't want to worry about if I'll still have my job after a year (I've read countless posts on here about 1st year teacher's not being kept on). With my husband's degree and the area we'll be living in Maine, he will make no more then 40,000. The cost of living isn't too high, the decent houses in the area are between 175-250. By the time I graduate and we go home, the starting pay for teacher's in Maine will be I believe, 30 or 31,000.
    I'm also so worried about not being able to FIND a job. I know a girl who got a job immediately, fresh out of college at the junior high we went to. But then there is another poster on here (Jaimemarie I think?) Who said it took YEARS to find a position in Maine.

I don't even know what my question is. I'm just looking for some reassurance. Did anyone else have these same worries? I'm so afraid that if I go this route, we will be flat broke and my family will suffer...

3. scrabble1980

scrabble1980 New Member

May 30, 2007

Words of Wisdom

Hi There!

Teaching is a calling.. If your coming into the field for money..

Good luck.. You can increase your job position by volunteering at

a local school. You'd be inside the school if a teaching position

becomes available. Plus, it gives you a teaching reference..

Go for a masters in special ed..while looking for a teaching position.

Spcl Ed teachers are usually in high demand.

You should also remember that a teachers day does not end when the kids leave... Remember the homework, test, forms, parent letters, etc are done on your time...

Good luck with your decision!

4. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

May 30, 2007

I'm not in it for the money... if I was, I wouldn't have a problem. I'd be in nursing school, and that would be that. I DO have to provide for my family though, and I'm just so worried sick I won't be able to....I hear people say they waited years to find a job..applied "everywhere"...had to relocate..those are not options for me. Yes teaching is a calling and it's something I very much want to do, but I have to be working when my husband gets out of the military in 2010. I guess I'm just terrified I won't be able to find a job etc.

I know the day doesn't end....but it's better then working 3-4 12 hour shifts that usually run over 30min to an hour. I would basically not see my children at all on days that I worked...I'd also have to continue working throughout the summer..

...It is possible to feel like you have a calling for 2 things..afterall, nursing and teaching aren't all that different. You have to be compassionate, caring and have the need to help people...

To sum it up- teaching would be the best decision for my family by far, I just have worries (that I'm sure, at least I hope, are normal).

5. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

May 30, 2007

(P.S.)
    Thank you very much for your advice. I'm definately considering a master's in special ed. if I continue on this path.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 30, 2007

There ARE jobs... even in Maine, even in NJ, even in NY. Jaime HAS one now; she is just hoping to find one which suits her better. And for those still looking, there is ALWAYS sub work out there.

That's the one problem with forums like this one: lots of people come on looking for help. It sometimes presents a skewed picture of the workplace. Lots and lots of people out there are having celebration dinners this weekend because they've just landed their dream jobs-- they just don't happen to be members here.

So give it a shot. We survived for six years when I was a SAHM. My husband is a teacher in a Catholic school-- not exactly pulling in the biggest salary in town. But we did it with our 3 kids. You can do it too.

7. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

May 30, 2007

Thanks so much for kind words, Alice

8. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

May 30, 2007

CaitM

In a prior life, I used to be an L.P.N.
    I HATED nursing and the medical field. Let me tell you- nursing is not exactly a family friendly career- as far as hours and stress. Of course I am extremely biased - but have TREMENDOUS respect for those that are nurses. That is not an easy job. It is physically demanding- way more so than teaching. You will make more money, but your quality of life will not be so great. After working 12 hour shifts all week, and having to wait around for your replacement nurse on the next shift, I was way too pooped to enjoy any of that money. Not to mention- nursing is alot like teaching as far as pay goes- if you look at what the job entails, everything that you are responsible for, the physical demands, crappy administration, thankless doctors, etc, and compare all of those facotrs against money- you don't really make all that much considering- whether you are an LPN or a NP. But like I said, I have the calling to be a teacher, naturally I was not happy being a nurse- its not what I was meant to do.

There are jobs out there! During the peak of the hiring season here there were over 50 elementary positions. The job market varies by state and region, of course, but I see you are at an AFB in Japan. I am an army wife, and the job market for teachers in military towns is typically very good because of the economic growth that army towns typically have, and because many of the teachers are spouses themselves, and pcs in and out of the area.

Basically you have to do some soul searching and see what you really want to do. If you are like me and teaching is your calling- you won't be happy untill you pursue it. Basically I didn't choose teaching, it chose me!

Good Luck to you!

9. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

May 30, 2007

By they way- your worries are so normal! Just follow your heart and you will be ok.

GL!

10. Commartsy

Commartsy Companion

May 30, 2007

The most stessful decisions come from trying to do what's best for your family. Bless your heart.

What would help your family more, the money or the time?

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 30, 2007

Other alternatives if you can't get a regular elem. edu. job right away might be working as a Title 1 teacher, classroom aide, try for a jr. high position if you think you would be suited for that climate, work/volunteer at the public library (to get a handle on reading abilities, reading programs, show on your resume that you have experience working with a wide range of ages). Good Luck!

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 30, 2007

Math, science, and foreign language always seem to be in demand too.

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 30, 2007

I would say go for the teaching - it would be best for your family because you would have summers off and vacation time during the year with your family. Plus, once you get the hang of things, after your first year, you find short cuts to save you from being at the school for long hours after the school day.

You can live on a smaller income. You have to decide what you are willing to do without, like eating out weekly, big vacations, lots of new clothes, lots of special activities for your children. We can really live with less, it just depends what your priorities are. Would you be able to be happy without getting your hair done every month? Would you be able to be happy without a house full of nice furniture? Without going on a family vacation every year? If so, you can cut out a lot and live on a teacher's salary, and in exchange have TIME with your children, and time to keep your home running smoothly. There are ways to do it.

Nursing would be great if you could do it part time.Then have time off w/family. Try not to worry! Make your decision based on what is most important to you, then set your eye on the goal. If you reach your goal and decide you need to make changes, you can make them at that time.

14. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

May 30, 2007

I just want to reiterate what others have said. Many districts are begging for teachers, and, in many places, there are not enough to go around. I think you would be entering the education field during a time in which teachers are in high demand. Good luck!!

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 30, 2007

If I remember correctly nursing jobs are just as hard to come by in Maine. And the pay isn't much better. BTW starting salary for this year will be 30,000. Southern Maine most districts pay 32,000.
    With you having spent time in Japan, a school is going to scoop you up faster than you can imagine! You have something different to offer them!

So that being said what area are you looking to move to?

also look on www.servingschools.com

16. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

May 30, 2007

Thank you so much everyone. Your kindness and words of wisdom are appreciated more then you know.:love: I had a sit down with my husband last night, and we both agreed this is what I should do. It's what I WANT to do so badly, and it would be sooo much better for my family. If we have to do without, if we have to rent for awhile, so be it. I'm starting to feel better about everything.

Jaime- My husband's family is in Winthrop, and my husband will most likely be working in Augusta. My FIL is the Director of Operations for Pinestate Trading Co. and my husband would like to work in their sales Department. We'll be looking around Winthrop, Monmouth, Augusta, Gardiner, etc

TeacherWannab- Thank you for the insight into the life of a nurse!