HELP!! I need to teach Spanish today

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Lindager, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Apr 25, 2011

I just got the call to go in and sub for the spanish teacher at this school. This is for 6-8th graders who feel they have learned absolutely nothing this year. I have done the class several times and the kids either do ws which they know by heart from doing them so much or they watch spanish soap opera. The teacher is out alot and the older kids are worried they will just end of being behind next year.
    I need suggestions on how to teach these kids conversational spanish and the correct tenses. I have 3 hours to prepare. PLEASE HELP

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2011

4. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Apr 25, 2011

I'm sad to hear students have had such a negative experience in the class.

Start off class by practicing introductions. Switch and practice FORMAL introductions using "¿Cómo está Ud.?" instead of "¿Cómo estás?" Form two GIANT circles: an inner circle and an outer circle (each student should be facing another student). When students finish introducing themselves and "meeting" their classmates, make the inner circle rotate so that each student has a new partner.

If you can get your hands on a set of dice, I like to play the dice game to practice verb conjugation. Each number on the die represents a subject pronoun (1=yo, 2=tú, 3=él/ella/Ud, etc.). Students have a list of verbs (you can just write some out on an overhead projector sheet), and each student rolls the die and conjugates the verb based on the number on the die.

I hate worksheets in the foreign language classroom. Don't get me wrong--drills are important, and written activities have their place, but I think it's easy to rely on worksheets instead of encouraging communication.

5. waffles

waffles Companion

Apr 25, 2011

Have the kids do what the teacher left. I know it sounds mean and it isn't what the kids need to have happen, but it's not your job to teach the class. It's the teacher's job to do that.

You wouldn't go into a math class and disregard what the teacher has planned would you? You shouldn't do it here either.

6. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Apr 25, 2011

I made it through.

@Alice Thank you I did get some things from that site.

@Porque I would love to teach the kids these things if I knew them better. I last took spanish in highschool in the 70's. I have not really used it since. I can count and name things and ask a few questions but that is it.

@waffles I have done that in the past and if there was anything new I would give it to the kids. But this teacher has been out a lot this year I am not sure if it is an illness or what. She usually just leaves emergency plans which are WS usually 3 for each grade. I would not have a problem with that if it was new or even review. The worksheets she leaves are usually the same ones over and over. A very trustworthy 8th grader told me one of the sheets she left for today they had already done twice with subs.

I do not speak spanish well enough to teach from the WS and I usually can not even help them understand what they are doing.

Today 6th grade was 1st so I gave them the WS a wordfind that had pictures of fruit and they were supposed to find the spanish names in the grid. This was a total waste of time because the kids had no idea what the spanish names were no less how to spell them. I finally got frustrated and just wrote a word list on the board for them, I then asked them to label the pictures with the correct name. I was supposed to tell the kids this was a quiz. The hard workers were so upset I had to tell them I would let the teacher know how hard they tried.

After the 6th grade was such a mess I decided to see if the 7th or 8th grade knew the fruit names. I wrote 20 english names for fruit on the board and 20 spanish names and had the kids copy and try to match them up.

The kids really want to learn more about speaking and pronouncing and conjugating verbs I wish I could do more for them.

7. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Apr 25, 2011

I think it's great that you tried so hard to make it a better experience for them. I've met a lot of students who harbor a lot of bitterness because of their past foreign language classes (especially past high school classes). My students, who are mostly college freshmen and sophomores, get frustrated when they move from a very non-academic Spanish class to a TOUGH Spanish class in college. In elementary, middle and high school, Spanish is an elective, and highly-qualified Spanish teachers are kind of hard to come by. When these students get to college and realize their Spanish classes count just as much as their English and history classes, they struggle a lot. I'm very glad to see you want these students to succeed, and I wish the best for all of them.