HELP! I need new ways to discipline

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by mrsroos, Sep 8, 2014.

1. mrsroos

mrsroos Rookie

Sep 8, 2014

This is my 1st year teaching and I have 6th grade ELA/History and all my kids are ELs. I only have two groups throughout the day, the first group i have for English, History and ELD. The second group I have for English, History and every other day for a projects class. The second group is my MAJOR problem class. They are always talking, do not listen and constantly argue with EVERYTHING i say. It is mainly 5 students and I have held them after school with no luck. The behavior is not changing and when they act out the other students just laugh. any advice would be fantastic!! I'm about to lose it and its only the 4th week :(

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2014

I feel you. I have everything you mentioned but it is my 8th year and I've only been in school for 4 and a half days. :dizzy:

Sorry, no advice. Just commiseration.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 8, 2014

Can you pin point the root of the behavior?
    Are they really low and try to act out / be funny to make up for it? Sometimes students are too high level, feel bored, or feel confident about the subject, so they feel comfortable acting out, being off task, because they know they can still pass without an effort. I have / had several students like this.
    Do they need attention, and will get anything to get it, positive or negative? How is the parental support at home? Do you have an incentive system in place?
    What about negative consequences? Does it work for them?

5. mrsroos

mrsroos Rookie

Sep 9, 2014

Glad i'm not alone :/ I honestly never remember acting this way for teachers when I was in school, its so sad.

6. mrsroos

mrsroos Rookie

Sep 9, 2014

I feel that the behavior could be because they are so low but others behavior is just flat out rude for no reason. I can see the one student who has major issues liking the attention and when I ignored him he just kept talking. I'm not sure about the support at home, I know most of my students parents do not speak English. I was thinking about an incentive program but honestly I don't know if this group deserves and/or will destroy all of the incentives I give. As for consequences I will be having after school detention but I have to give 24 hour notice and I am waiting for the form that I have to send home. It just really rough, I'm hoping wasting their time will make them realize they cannot waste mine. I just feel so lost. :confused:

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 9, 2014

I would call home. Just because a parent doesn't speak English, it doesn't mean they don't hold the kids accountable. They could be stricter than any parent who speaks English. When you deal with different cultures, you should keep in mind that those parents often are much stricter than American parents. Not always, but all it takes is a phone call to find out. Try to find someone who can translate.

Incentive program: you don't know for sure if they would not appreciate or destroy the incentive. Chances are, they would love it and it would work for them. If these kids have had behavior problems, they probably have been the kids no one rewarded, no one paid positive attention to, no one took on field trips, no one wanted to pick them to be on their teams, etc. A little incentive can go a long way.

Sometimes they don't care about wasting time. Students look at at time differently than teachers do, and sadly, sometimes teachers care more about the students' education than the students themselves. In this case the students don't look at it as waste of time, they look at it as how much fun they had in class, how their teacher got mad and it was funny, etc.

I'd start with phone calls home, a good incentive system (whole class and individual) and keeping them accountable with warnings and then detentions.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 13, 2014

It's hard to really pinpoint what the exact issue is from what you described, but when there are behavior issues there are certain things you should focus on:

1. Are your rules clearly communicated?
    2. Are your consequences effective: meaning, are they immediate, logical, and do you enact them consistently, whenever behavior arises? I noticed you said you ignored a student when he was being disrespectful towards you. I'm afraid all this communicates, is that students can be disrespectful and you'll do nothing about it. I like Linguist's idea of calling home, especially for cases of disrespect.
    3. Is your instruction structured? Meaning, if students are busily being engaged with work and learning, they may not have time to misbehave. Those that do, you need to remove them from the collaborative learning area immediately (meaning a time-out, or in extreme cases, a referral). The other students who are serious about learning will appreciate this decisive action to protect their learning environment, and you'll foster an environment of scholarship.

There are many other things to take into consideration. All I can say is that it will get easier with time if you take the time to better your classroom management practices.

I recommend the following books:
    Dream Class by Michael Linsin (along with his website that has a lot of great articles for free: http://www.smartclassroommanagement.com)
    Tools for Teaching by Fred Jones
    Teaching with Love and Logic by Jim Fay
    and for setting up a general system: The First Days of School by Wong.

You'll find some things in these books that work for you, and some things don't (for instance I didn't like PAT). The best thing to do is read a lot of different strategies and ideas and pick what works for you.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 16, 2014

I would call parents and possibly even meet with the parents. Let's say this works for 3 out of the 5 students--you have just cut your problems to less than half.

Also, I do think it is time for some stronger consequences. What else can you do at your school?

Tools for Teaching is an excellent book that shows what to do to prevent problems and what to do with the challenging students who misbehave. It is a great complete classroom management book.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 17, 2014

I agree - don't be afraid to make these calls. Yes, they can be uncomfortable but parents need to be made aware before things escalate further. Then you'll have upset parents wondering why they weren't informed.

11. mrs.whatsit

mrs.whatsit Rookie

Sep 23, 2014

Create a Point System!

Create a points system in your classroom!

1. Create a Behavior Rubric
    • Choose the behavior you want to see or change in your room
    • Flip the behavior and make it positive
    • Check out this example behavior rubric

• Create a Tracking System
    • Use paper or an app to stay consistent when you are giving or taking away points
    • LiveSchool is a free app that tracks points and rewards
    • Class Dojo is another free app that tracks points

• Communicate with Students and Parents

1. Create a Class Store where students can redeem rewards for their points