Help! I need ideas for hallway decor. Writing process?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by DrivingPigeon, Jan 31, 2009.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 31, 2009

We don't have bulletin boards in our hallways-we have those cork strips up high above their coat hooks. We did snowman glyphs at the beginning of December, and they're still up. I need ideas, and for some reason my brain is fried! I don't like doing art projects just for the sake of having something cute hanging up. I like doing projects that are academic and that the students can learn from, such as the glyphs.

I would love to have them go through the writing process and have a piece of writing displayed, but I have a feeling that would be way too much work, because they aren't ready to learn the writing process yet. Unless I maybe just talk about it briefly, but don't formally teach it. For example, I can have them write something based on a common topic, and then the next day I can tell them we're going to "edit" the piece by making sure we have everything spelled correctly. What do you guys think? Is that just too much for them? Should I stick to an art project related to a story or something?

3. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Jan 31, 2009

I display my kids writing that is not edited in the hallway. Anyone that looks at it knows that they are only five years old and that it won't be perfect. Many people love trying to figure out what the kids are spelling and are actually quite amazed at how well they do. I haven't put up any writing in the hallway yet (usually I wait until it is somewhat readable!), but I think we are finally ready and am thinking about doing a valentine's day writing about things we love. We can display it with the valentine hearts we are making in our art center. I don't get much into editing in kindergarten except for checking to see if their sentence started with a capital letter and that they ended it with a punctuation mark.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2009

Around this time of the year we read the book Snowballs and then I give them lots of art supplies to decorate their own paper snowman. Then we write about them. This year I'm stressing descriptive writing, so I think I may not hang their writing under their own snowman but may put up something telling people to try to match the writing to the snowman it describes.

I hate editing. I just don't think they are there yet. If a word is difficult for someone else to read, I will write the conventional spelling underneath.

I also love doing art related to science and math. Students paint number stories and write the addition problem underneath. For example, they may choose to paint 2 ponds with 4 ducks in one pond and 3 ducks in the other. Then they write 4 + 3 = 7.

When we learn about types of matter I water down some tempera paint, have them use eyedroppers to drop some onto the paper and blow (gas) through a straw to move the paint (liquid) around. The papers turn out beautiful.

5. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jan 31, 2009

My students enjoy drawing a picture of their favorite part of a story we read in class and writing about it or drawing & writing about a field trip or guest, etc. I also don't like to edit, I want it to be their work. I agree with starbucks, people do enjoy trying to read them. One thing, I try to be sure names are on the back of papers that go in the hall to discourage comparing by name.
    What about a mural they all color, paint, do in 3-D, depends on how involved you want to get, then in group look at the finished picture and together write a story.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 1, 2009

I like the math idea...Maybe I'll do something with that. Thanks for all of the ideas so far!

7. cocacola

cocacola Rookie

Feb 3, 2009

For the upcoming Valentine's holiday I give each student a large paper heart to glue on a white piece of paper and tell them to make it into an animal by drawing legs, head, etc.. (heart is usually body) and I have a few examples to show them. Then on a separate page with writing lines I ask them to write about the animal they created: give it a name, where does it live, what does it eat, etc.. They get very creative and it can be displayed rather easily. You can tape or staple the words to the bottom of the page with the animal on it.

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 3, 2009

Next week we are writing about who we love and for those who can write more they will write why!

On Valentine's day they will finish the prompt "Red is..."
    write and draw about things that are red. The kids are usually pretty creative.

For an art project I tape the word love on white construction paper. I have the kids paint the entire paper using purple, pink an red paint. When it is dry I peel off the taped word and it shows love. They come out great!

9. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Feb 5, 2009

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 6, 2009

Wow, ok. I never ever said that art wasn't good or doesn't help students learn . I love art. It was my favorite subject in school. I would be very upset if my students didn't go to art class twice a week for 45 minutes. I think it's just wrong when schools eliminate or cut down their art programs. I never said I don't think art is valuable to students. I would never say that, and it makes me sad that you interpreted me as someone who devalues and doesn't appreciate art.

This is what I said, "I don't like doing art projects just for the sake of having something cute hanging up. I like doing projects that are academic and that the students can learn from, such as the glyphs."

They are learning amazing things from their art teacher about art. They are using different mediums, learning about primary colors, making really neat things out of clay. She is the professional art teacher who is using the correct terminology and teaching them to value art.

In my classroom I have such a large academic load, that I find it difficult to find time to take away from math or reading to have something cute to hang in the hallway. I never said "art is only here to have something cute to hang in the hallway." I just know many classroom teachers do cute things with their students for the sake of having something cute. They aren't necessarily teaching them about art; it is often "cut this circle out, glue it to this circle, glue on an eye." I like my art projects to be academically linked as well, because then I don't feel so bad about taking time away from our required department of instruction minutes for certain academic areas.

I think you very much misinterpreted my post. Sorry if I made you feel like your profession isn't worthwhile.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 6, 2009

By the way, you eliminated an important part of my post. In my original post I said "I don't like doing art projects just for the sake of having something cute hanging up."

I'm sure you would actually agree with me here. I find it difficult to believe that an art teacher would do an art project just to have something cute hanging up.

12. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Feb 6, 2009

I can be humble enough to admit I jumped the gun on my post, but it's something we get knocked down on everyday. I've ne ver met an art teacher that can honestly say they feel 100% appreciated at their school.

And you're right, there are teachers that do the cutesy things and there are art teachers that do the cutesey things. In my undergrad it was called School Art (everything is the same, precut out shapes etc etc.) And like there are classroom teachers that probably shouldn't be teachers there are art teachers who shouldn't be art teachers.

I must say, your kids are lucky to have art twice a week for 45 minutes. I might get to see my kids once a week for "40" mintues. Because I travel on a cart, its more like 30-35.

But I'm happy you are a teacher who appreciates the arts, b/c there are way too many that don't, including principals!

13. lwag14

lwag14 Rookie

Feb 11, 2009

These are some of the bulletin board activities that I like to have for the remainder of the year that use writing along side of art.

Dr. Suess "rhyming with the cat" -get a simple "cat in the hat" face and hat craft then in the hat on each of the lines have the students write a different word that rhymes with "hat."

spring poem- I forgot the formal words, but you know those poems that you make out of a single word. all the lines in the poem start with one of the letters in that word and describe that one word. I wont to say anagram or analog poems but I could be way off. I use the word Spring and put the poem in a raindrop under a big unbrella.

Graduation frames- I have the students color their own picture frames. then I have them write on a piece of paper "In kindergarten I learned ......." I hang their pictures up with their sentences.

Usually when I'm doing something that I wont displayed in the halls I have the kids brainstorm possible answers first and I write them on the board for them to copy so there is less chance of a mistake.