HELP! I need an easy, super-cheap holiday craft for 895 3rd graders... craft for

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 6, 2010

Edit...woah, don't know what happened to my thread title, but it's only for 85 kids, not 895, thank God :)

At my school, it's perfectly okay to do a "holiday" craft, so my grade level is teaming up to do holiday centers for a half day next week. They will rotate to 5 centers for 30 minutes each.

At first I thought I'd do the snowflake below, but I realized I won't have enough time, so I'll do it with just my class only (my 5th graders LOOOVED it last year!!) BTW, you don't need an x-acto blade. We used scissors and they came out fine ;)

http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com/2006/12/lacy-snowflake-tutorial.html

I'm willing to throw in $20 to get supplies, but I don't know what to do. Please help!

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 6, 2010

I remember doing a ton of Christmas crafts when I taught at a Christian school, and a public school where it was not only okay, but required!

Mosaic Christmas trees always turn out cute! All you need for that is construction paper (and having some different wrapping paper for the ornaments or to put presents under the tree) is cute, too. When I taught kinder, they tore the paper or years when academics left NO time, we did it as direction following and the paper was pre-cut, but they needed so many ornaments of each color. I think it would be neat because some of them would ball the paper up to make texture, some would cut shapes of leaves, etc. You can do a similar thing on a paper plate to make a wreath. We've also made wreathes out of pipe cleaners and beads.

Once we made a Christmas five senses book, and the pages were envelopes with something in them:

Feel Santa's soft beard - a picture of Santa with cotton glued on
    Smell the gingerbread man - a cutout of gingerbread man with cinnamon glued on
    Hear the jingle bells - jingle bells
    Taste the sweet candy cane - mini candy cane
    I don't remember what it was for sight, but almost anything would work for that. Whatever it was, I remember we put glitter on it, so maybe the lights on the tree?

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 6, 2010

Oh my. I can't help you here because I always have small groups to think about but my heart did a flop when I saw 895! I couldn't imagine. Really I couldn't imagine doing even 50 kids but I'm spoiled that way.

If it was a younger grade I would go with handprint paper crafts. I'm at loss for 3rd graders.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2010

Can they make and decorate a snowflake. Maybe get some different colored markers or glitter to decorate with.

They could make snowmen. Then you could tie it into learning by having the snowman doing a very or showing an adjective.

Does it have to be a craft--could you play the dreidel game with them or read a story?

6. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Dec 6, 2010

How about have them trace their feet for the reindeer's body, the hands for the antlers and then decorate to look like a reindeer?

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 6, 2010

Candy cane reindeer, tissue paper stained glass windows, Christmas cards, marking pen stained glass windows, paint with salt to look like snow.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 6, 2010

I make those snowflakes every year with my students. They absolutely love them!

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 6, 2010

I second the stained glass pictures. Have a student color a picture with markers and than wipe it down with baby oil on a paper towel. They always turn out great if they color in all of the white spots.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2010

I do a snowflake snowman. I teach them how to make a snowflake. Then they get a circle for the head and decorate it with markers, crayons, or colored pencils. They also make a hat and scarf to go with it.

I also do a heart santa. They make a large heart with pink paper, then turn it upside down. We make a hat, face, and curl small pieces of white paper to be the beard.

Let me know if you want more detailed instructions on either one. All you need for supplies is paper, something to color with, scissors, and glue.

11. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 7, 2010

Here's a cheap, quick and easy project I've done with 2nd and 3rd(when i was a student teacher). I love doing it because it counts as an art AND a writing grade. :thumb:

Basically i divided a sheet of paper in half making one of the halves a little larger than the other.

In the larger half, the kids draw a large snow man/woman/person (one small circle for head, medium for body and large for bottom. i normally have one already done to show them) and personalize it. (they get crazy. they add hats, scraves, boots, gold teeth, tattoos, pocketbooks in their hands, sunglasses etc. they also like to draw background, so every year I get suns, rainbows, more snow, houses, etc. behind the snow creature)

Then the kids write a detailed description of their snowman in the small half. That way they get a chance to practice writing sentences.

For the 3rd graders, I made it more advanced and they had to write in a correct paragraph format (topic sentence, body, conclusion). Anothet time, I had them write a story about their snowman that included the description.

They really get into it and the years that I have a little extra cash, I put in for pom pom balls, glitter, stickers and other cute things for them to personalize their snow person with.