help, I need a storage solution quick!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 10, 2008

I don't have any cubbies in my classroom and nor do I really have space for them. My team mate and I do not want to allow our students to store belongings inside desk and do community supplies for our team. Since we are not allowing the kids to put thier notebooks in desks, and I do not have cubbies........I am trying to come up with a storage solution that will take up as little space as possible. The students will have 4 one subject spiral notebooks to store and swap out between classes. So really they need to store 2spirals at a time. She has cubbies that she bought. So I only need to worry about my 20 or so kids.

I have been toying with the idea of using a pocket chart like this:
    http://www.schoolbox.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=7344&CategoryID=58

Do you think it would be able to hold 2 spirals per child?

If you have a better idea please let me know!

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2008

My co-teacher had one like that and had a really hard time keeping things in the pockets. The pocket size was really strange. Be sure to check out all dimensions before buying.

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 10, 2008

Thanks for the info. :)

5. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

6. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I use this one from Lakeshore to hold weekly copies - and it hasn't held up very well with lots of use. 2 of the 3 grommets at the top are tearing off. I think it would work as long as you instruct the kids to be careful with it and you never put more than those 2 spirals in it.

7. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

Could you use a crate? You could use the hanging folder kind with each student using a folder so the notebooks didn't slump. I checked the dimensions on the organizer you linked but they didn't seem like they would be big enough. Good luck!

8. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

What about using magazine holders and the students can carry them with them to each class. They would sit nicely under each desk. I'm using them this year in my classroom so that students aren't shoving a bunch of stuff in their desks. I'm just planning on using the cardboard ones. I purchased them from IKEA...they are 5 for $3.00.

9. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 10, 2008

I've used crates for storage of student books & such. What about those stackable shelves for paper you get at Office Max. You can get 5 for under $10. In my building some teachers have an organizer on the table that students put their items in. They also have those chair pockets that go on the back and the ones that fit underneath (really good stuff has them). :D

10. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I have that pocket chart. It's actually a real pain in the neck to use. I used them as "mailboxes" for the kids. Horrible. It was really hard to get things into them... I had to roll everything up. I imagine that it would be near impossible to put notebooks in there.

If you wanted to try it anyway, don't get it from that site. I got mine free, through highlights. Not sure if it's still available, but here's the link for those interested anyway.

http://www.highlightsteachers.com/archives//highlights_school_program_in_three_easy_steps.html

11. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I stored my students' notebooks in crates last year. They were organized by subject, and I had a "crate carrier" that would take it to the other classes, then pass the notebooks out to his/her classmates.