Help! I just got an interview.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mommyserenity, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Mar 27, 2009

Hello everyone!
    It has been several years since I have been in a classroom. I have been offered the opportunity to interview with a local, Christian school in Cobb County for a 2009-2010 position. It is a very small school. They have asked that I come in and plan to spend the day observing several classes and then I will also interview with the principal. What do I wear? I have a suit, but it isn't going to be very functional to be in and out of classrooms all day too. Help or advice would be great!

Holly

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2009

I would wear a suit, but make sure it's a pant suit so you can get down on the floor if necessary! Wear a nice blouse underneath the blazer so that you can take your blazer off if you wish and still look uber profess!

Congrats on landing the interview! It's a cool thing to be invited to observe the school and then interview!

4. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Mar 27, 2009

I am very excited. I am in the midst of getting my M.Ed degree and will graduate in December. I am thrilled to be asked to come in and interview since jobs are few and far between right now in many counties!

5. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Mar 27, 2009

Personally - I wouldn't wear pants. A suit is most appropriate for an interview.

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2009

Well, if it's a pant suit, it's the all the same. Definitely not a skirt suit.

7. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 27, 2009

I agree a pant suit. That way you can take off the coat in the classroom and put it back on for the interview.

8. palla

palla Companion

Mar 27, 2009

That is great!! I would go for a pant suit.

Good luck!! When is the interview?

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2009

You may want to call the school and ask what their teacher dress code is. A couple of christian schools around here don't allow females to wear pants.

10. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Mar 27, 2009

See if there is a website to see if the female teachers are wearing pants. Many christian schools require their female teacher to wear skirts. And note the length as well. The school I sub at requires knee length or longer skirts.

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2009

I agree with other posters that you should make sure that pants would be appropriate in this setting and if they are go with the pant suit. That's great that you get to observe in the school to see what it's like. Good luck!

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2009

Congrats on landing the interview :) If the school allows pants, I say go for a pant suit!

13. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Mar 27, 2009

It's a small school, informal as well because it is a specialty school for children with language and reading difficulties and they want to create a different learning environment for the students. I have taught in three other Christian schools before I left teaching in the classroom for a while to take a job as Director of Christian Ed. I don't recall ever not being able to wear pants. They just had to be tasteful and professional...as in khakis and not jeans etc. Looks like my interview will be April 14th. I have a gray suit that I think I will wear. Just need to find a nice top to go with it in case I need to remove my jacket. I'm so nervous!