Help! I have no idea how to decorate this!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Joy, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jun 13, 2012

I've been busy getting things ready for next year and making plans on how to decorate my room. I teach K-5 Music. I've decided to make my "theme" be black and white polka dots and daisies. I thought that this would mix in nice with black music notes while brightening up my room a little. The problem that I've run into is decorating my back wall. It is a movable wall. They never fold it up unless it's during the summer. It does have a door on the side. I wanted to cover it in fabric but the entire thing is metallic and I don't think it will take staples. It is magnetic. Any ideas on what to do with it? It's an ugly tan and I just don't know what to do with it!

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 13, 2012

can you paint it?

4. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 13, 2012

Is it magnetic? You could get big pieces of fabric to cover it, and then attach strips of magnet to the backside of the fabric at the top and bottom so that it just sticks right up there...

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2012

I would try magnetic tape.

6. bltmann44

bltmann44 Rookie

Jun 13, 2012

Spray Adhesive

I have used spray adhesive on fabric and attached it to walls and chalkboards. It works really well. One thing I learned about using it with student work is if you spray 1 side (either what you are attaching it to or the piece you are attaching) it is removable and reposition able. If you spray both sides (the one you are attaching it to and the piece you are attaching) it becomes permanent.

I would only spray the surface and then attach fabric or paper to it. It removes easily.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2012

You could do like a music staff and do something like meet the staff and put the notes with names on it....

8. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jun 13, 2012

No. My school would never go for that! Otherwise I would have already painted it!

9. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jun 13, 2012

I've been thinking about doing something like that. It would take a lot of fabric but I think it would be worth it!

10. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jun 13, 2012

That's a good idea!

11. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jun 13, 2012

How do you take it off?

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 13, 2012

Velcro? Sticky kind on the wall side, sew-on kind for the material?

13. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2012

LOL...I had to reread your post to see if it was written by the girl on the other side of my wall. I have the exact same situation that you do. My wall is also magnetic, but not strong enough to hold anything. Here's what I did:
    [​IMG]

I used twin bed sheets and attached them with hot glue (peels off when you want to take it down). I then attached the border directly onto the sheet with hot glue and will do the same with the items I'm going to put on it.

I would brainstorm boards that can be left up all year.

I do plan to attach pinch-style clothesins so I can hang anchor charts as we make them. I'll be posting pictures of that next week.

14. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2012

I use carpet tape to hang bulletin board paper on my blackboard. A PAIN to put up, but it looks so much better than the old nasty blackboard. Carpet tape is cheap too, a few dollars at Home Depot.