Help! I have jury duty.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by LiteratureLover, Jul 30, 2011.

1. LiteratureLover

LiteratureLover Rookie

Jul 30, 2011

I just got a letter for jury duty. This is not good. This will be my first year teaching, and it's for September. It is not beneficial for myself or my students to miss a lot of the first month of school. Also, the court is almost 3 1/2 hours from where I live! It's freaking me out. I really don't want to do this at all. I wouldn't mind during the summer, but I don't want to miss my first month of my new job.

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2011

I can't believe they would make you travel 3-1/2 hours for jury duty. Do they think you live somewhere other than your present home?

In CA, we're allowed to put off our service for 90 days; maybe your state has a similar provision.

4. LiteratureLover

LiteratureLover Rookie

Jul 30, 2011

No. They sent it to my house. I can't believe it either. I've been called once before, but it was for court around here. I got out of that because of college. I just gave them my schedule and they dismissed it. I am going to try to get it postponed, but I'm not sure what to write. You have to send a written thing for them to consider postponement. This is ridiculous. I know a lot of people don't mind it, but this is my very first teaching job. I can't afford to miss the first month like that...

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2011

Call your school...they may have advice for you on how to best handle this.

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2011

I also live in MD and I was excused from jury duty two years ago based on the fact that it was during the start of the school year and I was a teacher. Of course, I also wrote in my letter that I teach a fragile population (low income preschoolers) who need more stability than a sub can provide, and I'd be more than willing to serve at a later date in the school year, once the children were more established in their routines.

7. LiteratureLover

LiteratureLover Rookie

Jul 30, 2011

I really hope I can get it postponed. I'm going to write my letter after I speak to someone at the board and get some advice. June or July would be great. September...not so much.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2011

LL, I've been called for jury duty about 8 times. 7 of those times I called and asked for a postponement (the few couple I was in college hours away; the rest because I was teaching). Each time they granted it (but then... called the next school year?).

The last time I was able to go in, but my number was so high I wasn't picked.

9. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 30, 2011

I had Jury Duty and was selected for an actual trial in Spring. That was my first time with Jury Duty too!!

You can: Postpone it to a later date (I did a about a yr ago so that's how I got the letter saying I was selected again in Spring)

Also, the Jury duty is supposed to be within your county....is there an error? I had to go downtown which for me is about 45 mins away but certainly 3.5 hrs away seems like an error.

If you have to go through with it and have more questions, feel free to ask me or anyone else who has done it.

10. LiteratureLover

LiteratureLover Rookie

Jul 30, 2011

I don't see how there could be an error on my part. I have lived here since I was 10. Maybe because it is federal court? Even so, 3.5 hour drive is out of my way. I can't believe it.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2011

Oh... federal is a different animal. I don't know if you can get that postponed.

12. LiteratureLover

LiteratureLover Rookie

Jul 30, 2011

It has something on there for postponement. It's the fact of if they will grant it that is the problem.

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2011

If it's there - it won't hurt to try. When I've called the county courts, I always made sure I said a) I'm a teacher and b) while I truly would like to serve my county, I don't feel it is in my students' best interest to have a lengthy sub in case of a lengthy trial and could I please be postponed until summer?

14. LiteratureLover

LiteratureLover Rookie

Jul 30, 2011

Thanks! It definitely doesn't hurt to try. It definitely isn't beneficial to my students. The first month is vital in establishing relationships. Should I mention the distance thing too?

15. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 30, 2011

Just because you go also doesnt mean you are going to be selected for a trial....I was selected based on my number since some people.didnt show up which is a big no no if its not excused. If everyone didnt show up...who would.serve?!?

16. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2011

The time I got selected for Jury Duty about 4 hours away, I wrote back and said I had an unreliable vehicle, so I was excused.

I got called this spring for the regular one downtown. They actually tried to postpone me the night before for that one, and I called and begged to go in anyway - setting up for a sub takes too long, I didn't want to have wasted all that and do it again a week later!

17. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2011

Usually they let you postpone until a break if you are teacher. I usually write on the post card "Special Ed. Teacher- hard to get substitute- difficult for students to handle one". That usually works to postpone it.

18. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 30, 2011

I cannot use the excuse of being a teacher, especially a special education teacher dealing with difficult students, to be dismissed where I live. It use to be easy to be excused but now they really do not accept it. We can postpone it but still need to serve.

I had a friend who is a teacher was put on a federal case and needed to court every Tuesday for about 6-9 months. Luckily she was in an inclusion classroom with another teacher. There was consistency in that area but still hard on the students.

Call your school and ask them what to do. Good luck with everything.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2011

Wow, that is such a drive. That would create such a hardship for so many families.

I don't know what I would do if I were called for federal service. I am a very nervous driver and I've never taken myself anywhere like Louisville, or even the smaller "big" cities. Just the thought unnerves me. Interstate driving, downtown driving...crossing my fingers I never have to deal with this all. Local wouldn't be an issue, but I would ask to serve in summer. Of course, with summers becoming shorter and shorter it would still likely cut into school, but I'd gladly deal with that than the driving,

My husband was excused from local jury duty because it would have cost him something like 40% of his income.

20. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 30, 2011

even if you go to jury duty....chances are you wont be selected as you sit around for a day or two waiting.....once called into a courtroom the lawyers ask questions to see who they want or def dont want so you may be able to get excused by the lawyers if you express hardship when they adk.

21. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 30, 2011

I have been sent the forms to fill out for Federal Jury duty twice, filled them out, returned them and was never called. Like a PP posted, you might not get called.

22. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2011

What if you didn't own a car?

23. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2011

24. LiteratureLover

LiteratureLover Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

I know that they reimburse after the fact, but honestly I wouldn't have the money to go up there and stay or whatever. Running on empty these days, and that's just the beginning of the year. I won't be rolling in the dough. (as if i ever would) :lol:

25. LiteratureLover

LiteratureLover Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

I was also wondering about the car thing too. I have a car, but it isn't technically mine. It's my parents, and it is in their name. Hmm.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 31, 2011

3 1/2 hrs away! Eek!

I like JD! I was a 1st yr specical ed teacher when right as we just returned from a 2-wk Easter vacation, I had to go in. I was picked, case lasted 2 mos & when it was over, I had about 6 days left of school, then I was free for the summer. Honestly, those were 2 of the best mos of my life & perfect timing if you ask me! I knew I wasn't going to be rehired anyway, so I was still getting my teacher salary & the courthouse was min away from my house! I met a few fellow juror ladies & we had lunch almost daily together. The case & everything else was interesting. I personally like listening to the witnesses.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2011

I got called as school was starting last year. They picked a jury before I got called for voir dire, but it was stressful thinking about missing extended time with a new class. I can totally empathize with how the op is feeling. Even though being called for jd is out of one's control, it is impactful on a classroom.

28. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

You do not have a car. Your parents took it away.

29. LiteratureLover

LiteratureLover Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

You are correct. :)

30. LiteratureLover

LiteratureLover Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

I got it postponed. :) I'm super happy about that! Now I can start my first year without having to worry about that too.

31. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2011

Oh good... Congrats... Good Luck with your school year!!

32. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2011

Glad you got it postponed! Our jury duty is almost 3 hours away, down mountain roads where there is a blizzard practically daily in the winter. I can't imagine. I would be extremely upset if I were called up. I was called up once in college but was excused since I was a student. Our master teacher got called for duty last year during a really crucial time. My principal literally starts calling these people begging them to let her out of it...saying there is no way to go on without her (since it's not like she gets a sub). She didn't end up getting picked for jury. I've heard they do not like to pick teachers because they think they're too sympathetic...but you never know!

My school does not allow me to get a sub when I'm out (they say it's just too specialized and the person spends the entire time in the office bugging the secretary about which room the kids are in and what to do, etc.) but if I were out for that amount of time, they'd have to get someone or the service hours wouldn't be met. My school would NOT be happy about that.

33. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

I, too, was called for jury duty for the first time this year. They wanted me for two weeks, starting 9/1. Um... no thanks? I did manage to get it delayed. But when they sent back a notification of it being delayed, they said they would call me again during the week of 10/12. That is the day before P/T conferences. *sigh* Not sure what I will do at this point, but I can make that work better than the first week of school.