Help! I feel like being a teacher is like being a Hunger Games tribute!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ponypal, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Mar 18, 2012

I didn't want to hijack someone else's soapbox, but I need to vent! There have been a other posts related to being stuck in the teaching profession and also this very popular piece of literature. It seems that with the new core curriculum, APPR, interventions, DIBELS, and some many other things to mention, that teachers (at least in my district) have become Hunger Games tributes. Just when you think that you can trust someone, you feel the sharp pain of a knife being thrust into your back. It's not just me, because I see it happening to other teachers, aides, and even custodians. Our principal is the the game maker and mixes his roles when he feels like it. He finds ways to torture some of us, while being a sponsor to others. His treatment has been brought to the attention of board members and the superintendent, but change takes forever and we are in a small town where politics are more "important" than education is.

I am in the middle of my career, not a newbie, but not able to retire yet. I wish that I could teach in another district, but we all know that with all these cuts, that's really not an opportunity anymore.

In the Hunger Games philospohy, there can be only one survivor.

Can someone please suggest how I can continue to play the game and survive?

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 18, 2012

I'm not a teacher yet, but whenever I feel overwhelmed about the state of the profession I have chosen, I return to my teaching philosophy. Acknowledging and recommitting to my beliefs always makes me feel better about my impact as an individual. :rolleyes:

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2012

Don't discount moving to another district. Even with all the cuts we've had here, at my high school we've hired 6 or 7 new teachers each year, to replace people who have changes in their personal situations.