Help! I don't know anything about teenage girls!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Maryhf, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2011

So, both my dear sons have lovely girlfriends who spend a fair amount of time at the house. They are both 18. S is away at college and likes Vera Bradley and Pillow pets - very girly. L is more of a "granola girl" and lives at home while taking a class at the community college. She is a vegetarian who is into the environment. I don't think I'll find the same thing for each girl and I don't want to spend too much. We try not to get carried away but I don't want to get them something they won't like.
    My only ideas were a necklace with an initial or a scarf (not the warm kind). Does anyone with girls have any better ideas please?

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 7, 2011

My teen granddaughter loves pretty acessories. She just bought a pink handbag. She has a pink wallet, purple computer. She loves jewlery. My fallback is pink pjs.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 7, 2011

This might be cheaping out, but what about a visa gift card? You could put it them in nice cards with a handwritten note to each of them. That would make it more personal, but still keep you from getting the "wrong" thing.

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2011

I hadn't thought of personalizing a gift card with a note. I just thought it wasn't personal enough. Of course, I don't want it to be too personal either. Neither girl has a lot of money.
    One girl is from our hometown and the other will visit us for a weekend or so over the break. What would you guys think of a certificate for something to do with my son? Neither boy has a source of income (other than us).

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2011

I think something to DO is a great idea! Gift cards to Applebees, to bowling, to ice skating, to a local pub or restaurant-- any of these would probably be greatly appreciated!

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2011

I agree with Alice

8. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Dec 7, 2011

Speaking as someone who is not all that much older than your sons' girlfriends, I like the ideas of pajamas (my boyfriend's parents did this for me last year) or the gift card for something fun to do or a coffee shop or restaurant.

9. kme93

kme93 Companion

Dec 7, 2011

My MIL (boyfriend's mom at the time) once gave us a Chili's gift card and two movie tickets for a gift. We really enjoyed that. One year she gave me one of those super furry throw blankets. I still have it and always use it when I'm laying around the house.

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2011

Thanks everyone! Keep the ideas coming.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 7, 2011

I love the ides of a gift card for some type of a date. If you do a chain restaurant, Chilis has a couple vegetarian options, Applebees has a veggie burger, and TGIFridays pretty much has nothing.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2011

For your granola girl, you could get one of these tees. http://sevenly.org/ They sell one tee design a week and $7 from each purchase goes to the charity they are supporting that week. You get a card explaining the charity.

Then you could get a small vera piece for the other girl.

The date night is a good idea, too, but I would address the gift to both of them. Otherwise, it's like "Here is a Christmas present so you can take my son out."

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2011

14. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Dec 8, 2011

It's a great idea to give an experience as a gift. Perhaps you could pay for them to do something when they are all at your house. Perhaps something a little different like tubing, indoor rock climbing, etc. Also, you could make a movie kit - purchase a movie or two, popcorn, soda, and some candy.

Something practical like a blanket, as pp mentioned, is nice. You know (or can justifiably assume) it will be used.

Could you do something for all four of them? Or do they not really hang out together? They might enjoy something they can do all something togther.

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2011

I never heard of sevenly and I'm sure L would think that's awesome. My son has gotten her gifts previously from Ten Thousand Villages and that's a neat place.
    I was feeling that way about date night too. It's so confusing! You guys now have too many good ideas!

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 8, 2011

They would likely both enjoy LUSH products. The girly-girl would like the bath bombs and bubble bars, and the granola girls would appreciate that almost all of the products are vegan, fair trade, and organic. They have some really nice things, and great phone customer service to help you find just the right product.

17. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Dec 8, 2011

I'm just a bit older than these two girls and would love a "date night" with my boyfriend. For example, 2 movie tickets and a gift card to a nearby restaurant would be great! Plus, it works as a gift for each of your sons as well! My boyfriend's parents have given me a variety of things before...some examples include a scarf with an inexpensive piece of jewelery, a small bottle of perfume, and a gift card to my favorite store. However, if you don't know them extremely well, it could be hard to know exactly what they'd like. The "date night out" idea could be a safe bet! Best of luck!

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2011

This is a good idea because you could get them both similar gifts. But our closest LUSH is in KOP.

The sevenly shirts run SMALL though - at least I thought they did.

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 8, 2011

LUSH shipping is very reliable, cheap, and fast.

20. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2011

You guys are the best! I've been worried about what to buy for a while but I kept going back to the idea of a nice scarf (not the wintry kind). So I went to the mall for ideas and saw some beautiful scarves at Gap so I came home and ordered some - for the girls and for a niece. I may still add something else to it because I got a nice discount online. I decided not to do the gift cards but suggested that to family members who are always asking for ideas for the boys. they are mostly getting cash from Santa.
    Thanks again for all your ideas.

21. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 12, 2011

Haven't read all the posts, but I agree with this. Watch for fees on those gift cards, though.