HELP I can't take any more

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by JaimeMarie, May 18, 2008.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 18, 2008

Junie B. Jones books. My kids are addicted. It's all they want to hear. I read three different Junie B. Jones books last week.

Does any one have any ideas of what else I can read, before I rip all my hair out.

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 18, 2008

I read Ramona books (I alternate with Junie B. so they aren't deprived). A few people thought the Ramona books would be too hard, but my kids LOVE them. They actually ask for Ramona much more than Junie B. Ramona the Pest is great because she is starting kindergarten and we have been discussing how we have changes since the first day of school and that some students may feel scared again on the first day of first grade. I also like that they stretch out much longer than Junie B. books :)

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 18, 2008

I personally can't get into Ramona but maybe I should try super fudge.

5. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

May 19, 2008

I teach Pre-K and we read The Magic Treehouse books. (Jack & Annie books) We only read them right before lunch. Some of my girls are into the Junie B. books as well. We haven't read any at school yet though.

6. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

May 19, 2008

I read every single Junie B. Jones kindergarten book to my kids. They (and I) loved them!!!! When we finished those we read the Flat Stanley series. Now, we are reading Ramono Forever.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 19, 2008

Ha ha ha ha ha ha..... :rofl:

Mine love Magic Tree House, Dragon Slayer's Academy, Cam Jansen, Calendar Club Mysteries, Time Warp Trio, Magic School Bus (chapter books), Jigsaw Jones Mysteries, and more.

8. rosew

rosew Companion

May 19, 2008

watch the superfudge and fudge books

in know one talks about no santa..and one talks about no toothfairy..I ended up ripping the page out of my daughters book and she never knew..

rose

9. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

May 19, 2008

My kids also love the Jumie B. boojks. But i do find myself editing some of the language (stupid - for example) However they also really enjoy Magic Tree House, Flat Stanley and The Ready Freddy series (my favorites)

10. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 19, 2008

Have you ever heard of Mercy Watson? She is so funny and they are perfect for my K class. I can't remember who the author is but they are so funny! You'd love them.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 19, 2008

Judy Moody is fun as well as several of the ones mentioned like Cam Jansen and Magic Tree House. Arthur chapter books are good too I think. Just like in Junie B. there might need to be some editing of words such as "stupid."

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 19, 2008

The Mercy Watson series is from one of my favorite authors: Kate DiCamillo (The Tale of Despereaux and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane)- neither of which is really appropriate for K :) I hadn't thought about the Mercy Watson books but I think that my kids would love them :up:

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 19, 2008

I love reading Pee Wee Scout books by Judy Delton. I have purchased nearly the entire collection (over 31 books) over the years. They have a good lesson in each book and my kids love them. They get so familiar with the characters and can't wait to see which one I'm going to read next. Pee Wee Scouts

14. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 19, 2008

Charlotte's Web or Stuart Little are good.

15. teach_kids

teach_kids Rookie

May 20, 2008

I don't read the Junie B Jones books to my class because I am teaching in an International School where many of my kids are not native English speakers. I feel that the poor language will confuse them.
    I have read the Flat Stanley Series, Magic Tree House, Pippi Longstalking, and just finished My Father's Dragon and began reading Elmer and the Dragon. The kids LOVED the two last books.

16. tysmom

tysmom Rookie

May 25, 2008

Definitely give the "Ready Freddy" books a try. They are about a 1st grader who has all sorts of fun experiences. Think Junie B., but with a boy for a main character!!! Your boys will LOVE these books.

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 26, 2008

Thanks everyone. I'm so upset I thought the scholastic sale was this weekend and it was LAST! OH well. I'll shot by the book store and see what they have.

18. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 26, 2008

Those are some good suggestions. What about the Horrible Harry books? Kids at the Polk Street School might be good for the end of the year. I read the Candy Corn Contest and they loved it.

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 26, 2008

Which sale was that? They had a sale going on all through May didn't they?

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 26, 2008

The warehouse sale. I love going to those because I can pick through the books read the books and decide if I want it.
    I haven't been in a year.

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 26, 2008

I was so dissapointed in the "warehouse" sale we had here last week. It was more like a large community sale. Oh well. I still managed to spend $57.

22. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

May 26, 2008

What about the Boxcar Children series? They are older books, and can be somewhat dated, but my daughter loved them. Also, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, and The Borrowers (there are 4 books in that series), Catwings, Chronicles of Narnia... I am sure I will think of more...

23. kinderkate

kinderkate Rookie

Jun 18, 2008

Where are these warehouse sales?