Help! I can't stand my principal

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by EducateElise, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2007

well EE and Jarenko..

the halls, hills and playgrounds..oh my! Can be quite a jungle with the wrong person in charge!

2. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2007

If the job was 6 months to a year, I put it on resume. On application, always say I resigned/better opportunities. If I didn't last six months, I leave it off application.

I try to resign before they kick me out. I was told once they fire you, it can stay on your records and haunt you forever. By law, they are not supposed to say bad things about you, but hey, if you give them that supervisor's name and phone number, they usually say exactly how they feel. :eek:

if you don't meet probation, or unsatisfactory performance, you can always say you were laid off...which is true. Most places, according to labor laws are only supposed to say:

your title
    your salary
    length of time worked - verify this..because it will be a problem if you two don't have same dates!

If you know principal doesn't like you, and is writing a lousy evaluation, ask up front for a reference letter. They have nothing to lose by saying no. If they say yes, it just gives you something to get a new job. If they say no, ask them will you say I was laid off or terminated for poor work. then document exactly what they say, and go to the labor board! or union if you still can.

"Budget cuts" is my favorite response.

3. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Jul 13, 2007

Does it frustrate you?

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2007

I moved from the big city, used to being inside buildings with doors! I had to learn how to have assemblies outside, lunch outside, gym outside...and get evaluations outside! It wasn't for me. I moved around a bit. Finally ended up being a playground aide. Outside!

I think as student teachers we need classes in reading your principal, and understanding what he means and not what she says! And keeping in mind if a parent comes in that day, everything that principal said in the staff meeting just went out the window!

outside!

5. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 13, 2007

For me, the first principal is no longer in the school (he supposedly retired) and the one that came after him did not know me. My other principal (from the job I just left) is a good friend, wrote a wonderful letter and I know has given me good verbal references. It's the superintendent at my last school that we had problems with. Although I didn't ask her for a letter, etc., she has written nice letters for former teachers, but when the actual call is made, if they get ahold of her, she blasts the individual. We do not have unions in our state, so no help there. WE have the trusty secretary run interference when prospective employers call so she can direct them to the (now former) principal at her home. It's very dicey. ONce again, if asked, I just say 1)there was no reason given for not being renewed, the old principal is out of the system and/or 2) I am looking for a new challenge, situation, closer to home, different grade level, etc.

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2007

yes, and you can also put district/main office number down. That way, they can't talk to principal directly. And when they ask for a reference, use your buddy teachers.