Help! I am back to the starting gate....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by hep223, Jun 27, 2014.

1. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jun 27, 2014

I am coming to all of you for some support and help. I have been interviewed by 5 districts and not 1 has called me back for a second round interview. The first district (where I student taught) hired an internal teacher for the position so I am ok with that interview. Interviews 2-5 have let me know that I will not be called back in. My resume got me 3 of the 5 interviews, the other 2 interviews were on connections I have in local districts.

As of now, I have applied for everything I can apply for. Until I get another interview, I need to look at what I am doing in my interviews to not get called back. Suggestions are welcome. I know I am not overly confident in my answers- I let doubt come into my voice. What can I do?

Is it common to not get called back? :help:

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2014

I've been eliminated after the first interview at least a dozen times. It happens to everyone.

Personality is BIG when interviewing. I've sat on panels, and some very highly qualified people have nearly put me to sleep. The last time I sat on a panel, we chose someone with zero experience over some very, very experienced candidates. Why? The personality fit was there.

Basically, the most important thing is to let yourself shine through. Cheesy, I know, but important!

4. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jun 28, 2014

I've been on maybe 8 interviews and only 1 principal was courteous enough to send an email stating that I was not moving forward to the next round of interviews. I guess we gotta make peace with not hearing back. I am still waiting to hear about an interview from this week...it's gut-wrenching to wait!

I agree with giraffe326. I think that personality plays a big part in the interview. Personally, I get so incredibly nervous that I can actually feel the words I want to say leaving my brain lol. I always struggle with making sure that some part of my personality comes through. And it is a bit reassuring to know that the "top" candidate who says all the right things may not be the best fit for that school. My advice would be to gather up some interview questions and write out some responses to go over before any interview and to just keep trying! I know it's difficult when you are not sure about your interviewing skills...heck my self-confidence has taken a nose-dive from interviewing...but I try to think that eventually I will land a job and you will too :)

5. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jun 28, 2014

I think you kind of answered your own question. Think of things from the interviewer's perspective-would you hire someone who didn't sound confident in their answers? Work on your confidence. Have friends mock interview you with a list of common interview questions, go to your university's career center for the same. Do you have any teaching experience? I know I was terrible at teaching interviews until I actually got experience because my answers were all hypothetical. Once I had some experience to back up my answers it was sooo much easier.

6. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jun 28, 2014

Thanks for the advice everyone! I have been trying to perfect my answers- it is hard when you go to each district and they ask different questions. The last interview, I liked the questions the principal asked, but was caught so off guard by them that I didn't even have great answers. For example, she asked what I liked to do in my free time. I took it as, she was asking what extra-curricular activities I would do. The only thing I could come up with for my spare time was read and be a Mom! It sounded pathetic!! She also asked if I tend to arrive early or stay late and I had trouble answering that one as well! Seriously, I know the answers but they just seem to float right out of my head!!

7. heatherewf

heatherewf Rookie

Jun 29, 2014

I know exactly what you mean. I prepare like crazy for interviews - looking up common interview questions online, rehearsing answers, having people mock interview me and critique my responses - then I go into an interview and they ask questions I have never heard before and my brain completely fails me! I'm working on this myself so I'm not too much help. But I will say, researching common questions and getting some good answers down for those will definitely help with your confidence when it comes to answering them. I think every single interview I have ever been on has started by them asking me to "tell a little about myself", so I have spent a lot of time crafting a concise, relevant, interesting response. If you can start the interview that way, it may help you relax a bit for the rest of the questions. Good luck!

8. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jun 29, 2014

So much of the hiring is insider, it doesn't matter what you do.

Almost all of the jobs I haven't gotten after being interviewed was because I "lost" to an internal applicant.

It's almost impossible to compete with that.

9. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 4, 2014

Try to find out who they are hiring over you. I applied for a job, drove 8 hours for the interview, made it sound like it was mine, just had 1 more candidate to interview. Never heard from them again, go to find out, they hired the wife of a former student, whose dad works at the school. She also was a division 1 volleyball player and was going to be their coach. I couldn't compete with that, no matter how well my interview went.

Another job, I know the principal and he said 88 applied and they hired a couple and the husband was going to be a coach for the high school. Certain things you cannot control.

The thing is, unless you have real good credentials and reference letters, experience is going to be your best friend, which means you might have to move out of your comfort area.

10. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Jul 4, 2014

Something that worked for my friend last year was calling back principals/people who interviewed her and asked for feedback. I know this won't work all the time, and a number of principals really couldn't say anything, but one in particular gave her some awesome feedback...and then called her back when another position opened and now that's where my friend works!

Again, I know this doesn't ALWAYS work, but at some point what do you have to lose? My friend had a job at my school but wanted out. She kept getting interviews but no offers. She got to the point of, they already said no to hiring me, what can I lose by asking what I can improve on?

I feel like I also did a lot better when I stopped feeling like I had to answer the question the second after it was asked. Sometimes I stop, take a breath, and give myself a minute. Much better after I did that!

Best of luck to you! :)

11. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 4, 2014

!

Thank you! I do ask what I need to improve on and have been told different things by each district. When I sit back and think about the interviews, and the HR Director for my dream district just sent this in an email to me today, I do not let myself "shine". I let nerves take over and need to relax.
    I, like you, feel I have to answer each question the second it is asked. I am going to try to slow down, listen, and answer with examples.
    I feel we should get a few "mock" interviews before the real thing so we can practice!

12. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Jul 5, 2014

hep223,
    It is really hard for me to name positives about myself. I can tell you things I need to work on all day long, but for some reason it's hard for me to be positive. I made it a goal at the beginning of this year to focus more on the positive all around.

I think one reason, especially when I'm talking to people I work with and those types of situations, is that I feel like if I say something like "I have good classroom management," someone might see a kid doing something wrong and think "She has terrible management! What was she talking about?"

What I realized is that nothing is perfect. So I thought about feedback I've heard from my observations and other staff members at my school. For example, my teammates have said they get a lot from my input about X subject. I've heard from other staff members about my ability to build relationships with my students. Now, I don't know everything about subject X, and I am unfortunately not able to build an amazing relationship with every kid who steps foot in my door, but I do do some pretty good work with those areas!

We HAVE to sell ourselves, and for some of us that is difficult. But if I don't think I'm worth it, no one else should, either. So what are one or two things that you think you are strong in? Not perfect, because that doesn't exist, right?! Then, think about how that fits in throughout teaching. I don't know what area you're in, but maybe we could help you fine tune those answers!

Sorry this is so long, but I feel like it's something I connect with you with! I knew that if there was any one thing that was going to keep me from getting a job, it would be the interview. When I was in school, they offered mock interviews from people in the district our college was in, so I did those. I figured it was better to make an idiot of myself in that situation and actually get feedback and practice then to wait for the real thing! This year I started looking for a new job, and I was able to go in an do well in the interview, and I got a call right after offering me the job! Now I'm just hoping nothing falls through! :)

13. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 5, 2014

Thank you so much for this, I really appreciate it and needed to hear it. At this point all things point to me not being a strong interviewer. I know I don't do bad per se, but I don't sell myself. I have to fix it or I will not get a job anytime soon.

I will pick out 3-5 of my strong points and plan how to highlight them this week and post, would you be willing to give me feedback? It is how I learn!! :):help:

14. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Jul 6, 2014

Of course!