Help I am about to lose my mind!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherforlife, Feb 8, 2009.

1. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Feb 8, 2009

I teach first grade and have a student who refuses to do his work. I have tried everything I can think of to get him to work. I use a behavior checklist with rewards, I have separated him from other students so he won't be distracted, he gets help from a classroom aide to encourage him/keep him on task, etc. He is so capable and I can't get through to him. He is the most stubborn child. It has gotten to the point where I am beginning to really dislike this child and I hate having to admit this. I sent him to the office on Friday to do his work and the sp. ed. teacher reminded me that that is not part of his behavior plan. I got really angry and said, when you are working with him one on one that can be the plan, when he is disturbing my entire class then that won't be the plan. I just get so irritated when I deal with 21 students and she is dealing with one and then gets all up in my face because I've sent him to the office. Need advice. Please.:help:

3. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Feb 8, 2009

Gosh, I don't have any advice, but I wanted you to know that your frustration is so understandable. That student is not headed for good things in his future, from what it sounds like here. Good luck dealing with this frustrating situation. I wonder what your administrator recommends.

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Feb 8, 2009

He is going to be in a world of hurt when it is time for 2nd grade. Have you met with his parents? Do they make excuses? Can you send unfinished work home? Maybe they will see how bad it is then and you'll get increased cooperation. It might even be a good idea to have a meeting with you, child, parents, and a 2nd grade teacher.

5. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Feb 8, 2009

The next time the child refuses to do work, pull him aside for a little chat. Tell him that you believe in him and know that he is a very capable child. Unfortunately you noticed that he has found many reasons not to complete assignments. But these assignments do need to get done. So, While he is standing next to you, write out this note to his parents:
    "Dear ______________,
    Name and I had a talk today about finishing classroom assignments in a timely manner. Unfortunately, he has found many reasons not to complete his assignments and therefore, they must be completed at home.
    Thank you for your support. I'm looking forward to going over these completed assignments with name tomorrow."
    Leave a space for it to be signed.

Read the note to him, and tell him that this note will be in your drawer until the end of the day/period. If the work is done, it will stay in your drawer. If it is not, it goes home stapled to the assignment.
    AND THEN FOLLOW THROUGH!!!
    Be matter of fact, not angry or annoyed.

Keep that letter in the drawer and remind him in a very matter of fact way that it is still there if need be.

AND PLEASE, NOTICE WHEN HE GETS HIS WORK DONE - AND TELL HIM THAT YOU NOTICED!!!

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 9, 2009

I don't think it is inappropriate to send him out of the room if he is disrupting class. Make a plan ahead of time with another teacher or the office so you have somewhere to send him. When he gets there he is to get absolutely no attention and does not take his work with him. He simply is not allowed to be around his friends or cause a ruckus. When he is ready to get to work and behave he can come back to the room. This is explained in more detail in Jim Fay's Teaching with Love & Logic. Kids don't want to be away from their friends, so this usually works for me. If he is a really stubborn one, you may have to go on to further measures. Get your hands on the book. It has tons of great ideas that can be used with all ages.

7. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2009

Great idea -- I am going to steal it :)

8. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Feb 9, 2009

That is tough. Does he have an IEP (I would assume yes with the aide)? I would REALLY pore over it to find your options. Is 'completing work' one of his goals? If not, try to keep in mind that he may not be ABLE to do it. Work on his specific goals as outlined in the IEP. But the sp.ed. teacher is right. She is looking out for you. You have to believe she is on your side. If you send him to the office (punishment) and that is not a clearly laid out option in the IEP, the district, school and you could be sued by the parents. :dizzy:

If he does not have an IEP, by all means, make him finish. I would say, "Now ___________, I know you like ________ (recess, stickers, being the lineleader), so let's work together today to make that happen. I need you to finish your work."

Also, consider having a daily reward for him if he completes say 50% (for now, then inch it up). I.e., first one out the door at end of day, special sticker, choose read aloud book, call students to line up for recess, pass out the papers,

Good luck! I'm dealing with a similar situation, and am doing the above mentioned. She seems to be making progress!:angel:

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2009

If he does have an IEP and there is a behavior management plan in there which is not functioning then you must document following it and document how it is not working in order to get the behavior management plan changed.

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2009

That is wonderful advice!!!!!!!!

11. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Feb 11, 2009

I have a 4th grader who does the same thing. He's got to pull his card every time I have to ask him to get on task. He's gotten notes and the work sent home several times. His mom is very supportive though. I would definitely try talking to his parents. **GOOD LUCK**

12. 4one5

4one5 New Member

Feb 11, 2009

This is EXCELLENT advice! However...What if the child's parents are completely unsupportive and the child could care less if you used this method? What then? I am having this exact problem right now.

13. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Feb 12, 2009

Tulipsgirl and all

Thanks for the advice. I have a behavior checklist I use, I have had many little chats with him, I reward him with computer time(he loves the computer). I am now taking recess and PE away when work is not done. It has worked well this week. Who knows about nexr week. Keep your fingers crossed. Yes I have talked to the father(only available parent). He is of no help. He is one of those dads who doesn't do the parenting. He drops the child off at his grandparents' house every evening for one reason or another and then says he doesn't know what to do with him either. I wish I could really tell him what he needs to do. :woot: