HELP!!! Hoping to teach in MA

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by hopefuleducator, Mar 25, 2010.

1. hopefuleducator

hopefuleducator New Member

Mar 25, 2010

Hi All,

Graduated college with a degree in finance, mostly because of parental pressure to join a lucrative profession, but I have always had a love and passion for history/political science. I took a few classes in college, but not enough to qualify for a major/minor status. My question is, if I take the Mass. Licensure exam (History) and do well, what would my chances be to get hired? I live in the Boston area. I know there are a few district based mentorship programs in lowell, cambridge and medford school districts - but they all require you to get hired first. Hoping if I could get some advice.

3. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Mar 31, 2010

By passing the MTEL and having a BA, you'll receive a license to teach, but it will be the lowest level thus making it very hard to be hired. I'm not familiar with district based mentor programs so I can't speak to that. I went through a post-baccalaurate program (most state schools in MA have them; I went through Framingham State) that leads to the mid-level license (and gives you student teaching experience, which is what most districts are looking for). Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions....

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 1, 2010

It's going to be VERY hard to get a job with just simply passing the MTEL even with a very good score. I would suggest going back for a post-bach. at Bridgewater or another local state school. Even better and more beneficial would be a Masters Program, I would suggest the MAT in History at Bridgewater State Program. My best teachers have came out of that program.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Apr 2, 2010

I agree with this 100%.

Bridgewater is known for having great programs for education. I went there for undergrad and will be finishing my M.Ed. there in December, but I've known quite a few people who have gone there for post-bacc programs.

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 3, 2010

I had some post bacs in my "block," at BSC- they did well and loved it, they said they would not do it any other way (this way they got student teaching experience and all the theory and whatnot the semester prior), it was highly worthwhile. I agree that is the way to go. BSC does have a great school of ed. Good luck.