HELP! Homework Records.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Karmalaa14, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Karmalaa14

Karmalaa14 New Member

Jan 12, 2010

I am so bad with organization. I can be the most creative lesson thinker upper, but not a paperwork person. I need tips on organizing papers etc.. but I am wondering how people record their homework. Do you use one box with different symbols if one subject isn't turned in? Do you use more than one box? I need better records because I keep trying different things and am getting no where! Help!

3. word girl

word girl Rookie

Jan 12, 2010

I send home a packet on Monday - due on Friday or the following Monday. The packet is organized with a weekly parent newsletter on the front, a log for recording books read, words of the week and some word work, and then one or two math, science or social studies, and writing or reading comprehension papers. I tell parents they should spend about 15 - 30 minutes a night, including reading.

The packet is easier for me to look at and record. It takes a little longer to set up, but then I don't have to think about it all week.

The fact that really changed my mind though, was being a parent of a young elementary student and a full time teacher. There were nights we had sports practice or lessons, or I had to go grocery shopping, etc., and I couldn't get much hw time. Other nights we could sit for a while and get through most of it. With a packet, parents can plan their week out.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2010

Every subject is separated in my gradebook. I circle missing work to "hihlight" the fact that that assignment is MIA. I don't know if that helps.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 12, 2010

I grade everything and keep a chart with the kid's names down the left, and dates across the top. If you turned in all homework, you get a colored square. If you did half, you get a triangle/half square. And if you did nothing the square stays empty. This hangs in the room at all times so students know where they are at. If 80% of students turn in homework for the day we all get candy. :) (We're working our way to 100%.)