:help: Halloween outfits

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Milsey, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Oct 12, 2011

What are you thinking of wearing for Halloween? We are being encouraged to dress up.
    I love my Wonder Woman outfit. I love that Wonder Woman is an empowering and inspiring figure to women everywhere. I just don't know if I feel comfortable as it may prove distracting, and parents come in from time to time may disapprove.
    I may just go with my Glinda the good witch gown.

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 12, 2011

I hate dressing up at school for Halloween. I most likely would pass on the Wonder Woman costume though, especially in a middle school... I just bought ears, a bow tie and tail and I'll wear a black top, pants and shoes and go as a cat.

4. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Oct 12, 2011

I have a few costumes stashed away that I have gotten really cheap on sale. This year, it is time for Little Red Riding Hood. I got a long, red and white checked skirt at the thrift store for $.50 last year, white button-up shirt from my regular wardrobe, and bought a red cape after Halloween last year 75% off. Braid my hair with red ribbons and we are done.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2011

Hmmm. Not sure what I think of this in general at the middle school level. I would certainly not wear Wonder Woman (and I figure it's safe to assume it's not the sexy version which is so popular for adults now, but I still find it inappropriate for school).

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2011

Oh, and as far as being an inspiration, I've never seen Wonder Woman, so I doubt your students would draw much from it.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 12, 2011

I would be River Song from Dr. Who. I already have that costume together. She is also a strong, empowering woman!

8. TutoringMatch

TutoringMatch Rookie

Oct 12, 2011

It depends on what kind of Wonder Woman costume this is. If you're worried about parents, chances are it's probably not appropriate. Stick to something simple and let the kids have the best costumes!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2011

As I recall, Wonder Woman wears a skintight spandex bodysuit and tights.

Just about as unprofessional an outfit as a teacher could possibly find. Do NOT wear that if you hope to have any credibility with kids, parents, your fellow teachers, or administration in the future.

If you're looking for empowering, inspiring females who are NOT R rated, try Marie Curie, Mother Theresa, Sally Ride, Amelia Earhart or Rosa Parks.

Each of those REAL women made a difference in the lives of others-- without a spandex bodysuit.

I'm going as me.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 12, 2011

I'm always a witch on Halloween. A few times I've dressed up, too. ;)

11. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Oct 12, 2011

I love the idea of being Amelia Earhart and 'jetting' to work!

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2011

:rofl:

I'm doing Queen Elizabeth I, as usual. This year I have a lovely new wig and a small pearl tiara that will spruce it up nicely.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2011

Go with Glinda...Wonder woman is a bit provocative for school....

14. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Oct 12, 2011

Halloween is my #1 favorite holiday, but I don't think we are allowed to dress up for school... :(

I'm going to find out tomorrow so I can pick out my outfit. I may just go as a cat. I have a cosplay tail and headband-ears a friend made for me..

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2011

This is the first year Halloween has been during the week since I have worked here, so I am not sure, but I don't think we can dress up. Bummer because my Robin Hood costume is going to be adorable. Brown leggings with mossy strappy boots and a green wrap dress with a big brown belt. I found a tutorial on how to make a robin hood hat and I am going to figure out how to make some kind of quiver and a little sack for gold coins (chocolate of course) which I will redistribute to the poor at the party I am going to. My BF is going to be Little John. lol. I am so excited.

16. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Oct 13, 2011

I always dress up as something that the students need to figure out.... Last year I glued a bunch of smarties candies to my pants and went as a "smarty pants".

17. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 13, 2011

I was told that we should dress up so I have to come up with a costume too. Personally, I find "school-appropriate" Halloween costumes for adult women few and far between. I went looking for costumes yesterday and all the costumes I saw for females over 12 were low cut and VERY mini. I can't imagine wearing that to school!! I think I might have to buy a man costume and come in as a banana or something. :)

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2011

You can make your own costume....

19. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Oct 14, 2011

I am going as the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Tree (just brown pants and an oversized green sweatshirt with letters hot glue gunned on) and a hat made from (fake) palm tree....

20. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 14, 2011

Halloween is a BIG deal at my school and we're expected to dress in super creative costumes- people go all out. My problem is I'm not crafty and I'm sorry, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on something I'm going to wear for 90 minutes at school (we only dress up for the parade and party). Last year I bought a little 5 dollar princess thing with a tiarra, wand, and costume jewelery from walmart and I wore a dress of the same color. I have no idea what I'm going to do this year!

21. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Oct 16, 2011

My team always does group costumes. We have been:
    The holidays (we had a large team this year with student teachers so we each took a holiday- I was St. Patty's Day)
    Super teachers (capes, gold belts, masks, Large gold T's on our shirts)
    cowboys/girls
    football players (lazy year- just wore jerseys)
    story book characters (I was little red riding hood)

Other teachers have done:
    M&Ms
    Black Eyed Peas (P on a shirt, eye painted black)
    Grease cast

Can't recall all the others right now!

22. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Oct 16, 2011

oh, this year we were going to be "cavers" (we do a rock and mineral unit later in the year- on our cave field trip last year we got caver helmets) but we may change that because the kids wouldn't get it since we didn't do the unit yet.

I was pondering the idea of being homophone- each member creating a costume for a set of them, eg-pair/pear, blew/blue

As you can see I love Halloween costumes!

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 16, 2011

I know I sound like a fun hater, but I can't imagine teaching with a costume on all day. The closest I've come is an orange tshirt with a pumpkin on it.

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 16, 2011

Our students are only allowed to wear their costumes after lunch. Some students do come with their face painted in the morning though.

25. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Oct 16, 2011

I am not a big Halloween fan, to be honest. I even have a hard time getting excited and spending money on my kids costumes. ugh. Anyway - I saw a somewhat "funny" idea of wearing a black shirt and black paints. With yellow duct tape put either a dotted line or a double yellow line down the center of you and tape a fork somewhere in the middle of your shirt. You can be "A fork in the middle of the road" . . . I don't know what it was about that, but it seemed simple and it made me giggle.

26. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 17, 2011

We only wear costumes after lunch too but I really wish I didn't have to dress up. I hate spending the money on the costume, have zero ability or time to create my own, don't have the time or inclination to shop for a costume, and feel ridiculous in a clown suit or whatever costume I'm going to have to endure. Sorry if I sound like a grouch. It's just not my thing!

27. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Oct 17, 2011

The Wonder Woman outfit sounds mad cute, but Glenda would probably be better.

I'm going as Raggedy Ann- I'm getting the doll make-up done professionally!

And there are rumors that the entire third grade hall teachers are dressing up as Jersey Shore cast members...

28. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 17, 2011

Wow...I hope it's not cold out...

29. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Oct 17, 2011

I will probably dress up as "Carol" from my science safety poster. Kids love the poster and find it hysterical that I had a coffee mug made with Carol on it.

30. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2011

One year I dressed as a kindergarten teacher (I teach high school). I had a gaudy halloween sweater vest and turtleneck, with a macaroni necklace. The word of the day was "CAT." It was kind of fun (sorry kindergarten teachers, for the stereotype. lol)

31. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 17, 2011

I have a few costumes now (4th year teaching). This year I found a Mr. Potato Head costume at Target. Now that's funny.

Last year I was an angel with wings, halo, and white gown.

Before that I was a hippie ... so funny.

I did the Raggedy Ann costume my first year and was unhappily shocked that none of my class recognized her. One kid ventured, "Are you the Wendy's girl?" Haha.

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2011

Third graders need not be exposed to the idiocy of Jersey Shore. Fun for an adult party. Not for school. Seriously, I can't fathom how a professional educator would even consider dressing up as Snookie or Wonder Woman for school.

33. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 18, 2011

Snookie and Wonder Woman are in very different categories. A modest Wonder Woman costume would be easy to make: a red tank top or shell of some sort with the logo on it, a cape over the shoulders, a blue skirt with white stars that comes almost to the knees, and the red boots to the knee with the white stripe. All that would be exposed would be the knees. If you wore tights under, those wouldn't even be exposed. Would that be professional for a typical day at school? No. Given that the culture of that school is to dress up in a full costume for Halloween, then for that day it would be appropriate, if done in a way that meets the standards for the dress code at that school.

34. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2011

There are some modest Wonder Woman costumes. My cousin wore one the other year and it wasn't bad - the skirt was long enough to meet dress code. Of course, a quick google search doesn't really bring up any of those costumes.

Jersey Shore for elementary is just - wow.

35. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2011

Jersey Shore is disgusting. I cannot imagine thinking it was okay to dress as those "characters" at school.

36. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 18, 2011

Jersey Shore... really??

One year I borrowed my nurse sister's scrubs and stethoscope. My kindergarteners didn't understand why I was dressed as a doctor. I guess it was too "real" to be a costume??

Thankfully my school doesn't do costumes.

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2011

The OP mentioned a concern that her WW outfit was 'distracting'. Given other posts in which the OP has talked about revealing work attire and showing off her body, the Wonder Woman outfit in question is probably not advisable.

38. JJ2000

JJ2000 New Member

Oct 21, 2011

I dressed up as Dorothy from the wizard of oz one year, and when I was student teaching I went as the mean substitute from the Miss Nelson books - my cooperating teacher had a costume and mask for me to use.

Oh and I also was the back end of a cow :eek: The assistant princiapl was the front...