help Halloween costumes

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by LoveKinder, Oct 21, 2006.

1. LoveKinder

LoveKinder Rookie

Oct 21, 2006

My fellow educators I am in desperate need of a halloween costume that I can wear at school on Halloween. My school has a teacher costume contest. If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 21, 2006

I do not really enjoy dressing up for halloween. I think it is due to my mom always making me wear my snowsuit under my costume :). One year I went as static cling. I dressed all in black and pinned different colored socks, little tiny underpants, and a bounce sheet all of me.

4. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Oct 21, 2006

Last year I dressed up as one of the 101 DALMATIONS. I took a long sleeve white shirt and white nurse's pants from Walmart and painted black dots all over them. There are a cute pair of dalmation ears with an attached nose at Publix right now. Last year I could not find any dalmation ears so I just painted black spots on a pair of bunny ears. I dont reccommend that however, because they thought I was a "dalmation bunny"! :) The kids liked the costume though. I have also seen some teachers dress all wacky to resemble Miss Bindergarten.

5. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2006

I am going to be a "Spelling Bee." I am going to wear black pants and a black turtle neck. I bought a inexpensive bee costume that I will wear and I will use post-it notes with our spelling words on it. Silly I know but I really HATE dressing up. I will be wearing it for the parade then off it goes! Or if I don't feel like doing that I will wear my sons graduation cap and gown and be a graduation girl. That one is way easier.

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 21, 2006

who gets to judge the teachers?

some ideas:
    devil horn head band, with plastic eggs glued to your clothes (deviled eggs)
    crayon
    gause glued around to white sweats (mummy)
    clown
    gray hair wig, small pillow under shirt on back, walking stick or cane, for an "old" lady (don't forget sweater and long skirt grany style)
    brown pants, green sweatshirt, felt apples glued (apple tree)

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Oct 21, 2006

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 21, 2006

This year I really wanted to dress up as Pippi Longstocking! However, I'm not sure if we're allowed to dress up. I know kids aren't, so I doubt teachers will be able to.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 21, 2006

I've always wanted to dress up like Viola Swamp. I thought it should be pretty easy - long black dress, maybe a black wig, black fingernails, make-up. I always read that story at the beginning of the school year and threaten to call her if I need to (jokingly of course). I always wanted to see their faces when they walked in and saw her there.

10. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Oct 22, 2006

I would love to see that picture! You've got to do it!

11. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Oct 22, 2006

two ideas

get an old laundry basket and bike. take the front wheel off the bike. Cut a hole in the bottom of the laundry basket (so your legs fit through). Attach the bike to the back. Hold up the basket with suspenders. Through a white sheet on your head, and go as ET.

My dad was thinking about going as Bad Credit this year.. two large pieces of foamboard taped together that look like a credit card

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 22, 2006

I love your costume, mrsammieb! And cute little girl, too.

I'm going as a spider web. I'm going to drape the white stuff all over me and pin on some spiders. I hate to dress up, too, so this will only be for the parade through the classrooms.

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 22, 2006

Last year, all the EC staff in my building (4 teachers, 8 TA's, and 5 therapists, plus our director) came as a box of crayons. Sweats in a solid color, felt or posterboard in a cone shape for your hat, then do an oval of black paper and die-cut "crayola" or the name of the color in a matching color to your sweats. Some of them did a "tunic" of felt in the color they were supposed to be. We all did a different color, and our director made a "box" out of posterboard and a :crown" or crayons. We got a lot of comments. ;)

I've done a Dalmation with white sweats and black felt spots.

I may do a box of m&m's... sweats with colored felt circles.

Friend of mine one year was dirty laundry... similar to "Static cling" except you take a circular laundry basket and cut the bottom out of it; wear it with suspenders, then pin on laundry, socks, whatever.

When I was in 4th grade (I think), I was a PBJ... purple sweats, foamcore board (2 pieces) cut into bread shape. Paint one side of each piece with brown paint and stick wadded up brown paper bag pieces to it (for crunchy)... brown duct tape on the edges for a crust; wear as a sandwich board.

Farmer's an easy costume; flannel shirt and overalls. ;)

I think Halloween costumes are a good excuse to wear sweats to work one day. ;)

14. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Oct 23, 2006

Thank you! That's my oldest daughter Maggie!

15. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Oct 23, 2006

The cutest costume I've seen, but wouldn't work very well for a woman, was a middle schooler who went as a "Chick Magnet". He wore all black with a large horseshoe magnet on the front of his shirt, then had a couple of Barbie dolls tucked in his pockets, with Barbie clothes and accessories stuck all over him. It was hysterical! :)

16. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Oct 23, 2006

I have done this one before because it is so easy!
    I take a halloween leaf bag, cut two holes in the bottom for legs, two holes on the side for arms and stuff newspaper inside it to make it fluff out!
    You can also wear a green hat on the top if you wish or take a headband, cut out some leaves and vines and tape it to it.

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 23, 2006

I have seen a teacher dress up as spider before. She was really cute. She wore all black and made four legs that she connected to her hands so whens he moved her arms the legs moved.

A couple of year ago I was Olive Oil from Popeye.

18. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Oct 24, 2006

maybe a woman could do that with hens stuck all over her.:cool:

19. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2006

I know this is not appropriate for you to wear and probably not as funny as when my hubby did it, but when he worked at our local credit union as a loan officer he won best costume dressed as a Hooters girl! I did his makeup and blew up ballons for his "chest" too. I'm surprised he won, let alone even let him wear it!

20. Miss_K

Miss_K Rookie

Oct 26, 2006

One of the teachers at my school last year was a bag of jelly beans:

She took a clear garbage bag and cut holes for arms and legs, then filled it with small colored balloons and put a jelly belly sign on the front, it was really cute!

I was popcorn when I was younger...I had a box that we painted with red and white stripes, then cut out a hole and covered it with clear plastic and glued popcorn on the inside and I had a hat with popcorn glued to it.

21. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 26, 2006

Today - Ellen DeGeneres dressed up as gum stuck on the bottom of a shoe. She had - black pants, a pink "hoodie" (with the hood up), and a sneaker glued on top of her head!

22. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 27, 2006

Put the number 30 on your shirt, and be a day off.