Help!! Going to Kinder!!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by txmomteacher2, Jun 3, 2007.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2007

I just found out I am teaching kinder next year. WOW I am so excited, but scard on the other hand. I just spend my first year in special ed being the behavior teacher, so I haven't really taught a whole class in a long time. (not since subbing days) So please someone tell me that I will do just fine.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2007

Kinder can be challanging, but if you have patience, then you will do fine. I think having patience and being orgaznized are two things that will help you be successful. You will have to do a lot of prep work after school/before school. My first year went great! Then, this year was opposite. I had a lot of strong personalities and a lot of behavior issues. I was stressed the whole year and now that we're done, I'm uttersly exhuasted. BUT, I feel satasfied. I feel that they learned a lot and are more than ready for first grade.

You have the gift of time. You have all summer to get ready and think about your class. I would work on:
    behavior management
    rules
    consequences
    find out what your school teaches
    find out kinder's standards
    search kinder websties- you're in luck, there are a ton of them

I'm sad that I won't be teaching kinder next year. I really do enjoy this age group. I could punish a kid for doing something wrong, and then that afternoon, that same kid will give me a great big hug before going home. They are loveable and sweet.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 3, 2007

If you worked in special ed with the behavior students than you will be fine in kindergarten. Just remember you have to teach them rules rules and more rules. Usually takes the first six weeks of school just teaching them what school is all about.
    Do you know how large your class will be?

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 3, 2007

Happy for you. You will love K.

6. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jun 3, 2007

Wow, txmomteacher2! I'm glad for you! I've also applied for a Kinder position to get closer to home. Can't wait to see the replies you get here!

Congrats!

7. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Jun 3, 2007

You will love kindergarten! One thing that I often forget is that the little K's know nothing. They have to be taught everything! How to use glue, markers, books, EVERYTHING! Oh boy, getting myself worked up for next year :)

You will love it!

8. KinGeorgia

KinGeorgia Rookie

Jun 4, 2007

What Gwen said is so true! I taught Kinder for the first time last year (after teaching 1st grade) and on the first day I called by them by tables to line up...they all looked at me with a blank stare!!!!!!!!! You really have to start from the very beginning. Also...first day advice...nothing too fancy...just have some stations set for the kids to play (playdough, sand or water if you have it, blocks, home living, etc.)
    Good luck...you will LOVE Kindergarten! :)

9. teachme2

teachme2 Rookie

Jun 4, 2007

I have been applying at 4 different school districts in my area and I have NOT heard a thing from any of them. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can get an interview? I am new at this, recently passed the TExES and am Highly Certified for EC-4. I have emailed all the schools with my online application and then followed up with my resume and letter of interest...

Can you tell me how you went about applying so maybe I can try that?

Thanks,

Melanie

10. xandy

xandy New Member

Jun 5, 2007

I am in the same boat but you might want to try faxing a cover letter, resume and maybe your philosophy of education to individual schools. Anything is worth a try!