Help Getting Student Teaching Hours

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Charles V, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Charles V

Charles V New Member

Sep 16, 2020

Hi all,

I'm finishing up a licensure program (Teacher Ready) and still need to do student teaching hours. I've been working with the program staff in Florida as well as California and still have not found placement after several months. I've also reached out to my local school districts and some private schools, but no success. I realize this is a special time and many teachers already have their hands full with the current arrangements. Godspeed if you are in that situation.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and/or found a solution? Or would anyone be interested in essentially getting an extra aide/volunteer (me lol) in their virtual classroom for a bit? The program is backed by the FLDOE and offers a stipend to mentor teachers. I already have three years of classroom experience teaching secondary school abroad and can help with grading / admin / less-focused learners.

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post. (I read the forum FAQ. If this is still inappropriate, feel free to take it down).

Cheers.

3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Sep 17, 2020

Can you move? Some districts are teaching butts in seats. Many of them would like another set of hands. Maybe 1st look around in small schools in your state. Small schools tend to appreciate another person on the duty roster. lol Good luck!

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 18, 2020

I'm sure things are crazy right now in school districts. Many schools have already started a while ago so even if you get a student teaching gig within the next few weeks you might not be able to count it as a full placement. Could you put it on hold for a semester and see how things go at the beginning of next year?

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 18, 2020

Our district has a department that matches student teachers with mentor teachers. All of those placements and communication happen between the college and that department.