Help Getting My Child Ready for Third Grade

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by PositivelyAutism, Jun 29, 2016.

1. PositivelyAutism

PositivelyAutism Rookie

Jun 29, 2016

Hello everyone,

I have a son who is very delayed in writing (he writes on about a first grade level). I am working with him over the summer to help him get caught up, and he is making progress. I'm wondering if you all have any suggestions for specific things I should work on with him? Thanks so much!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 29, 2016

Capitalizing the start of each sentence and using punctuation at the end of each sentence is one place. I would do it by having him write it however he can, and then go back with a yellow and orange crayon and put yellow over the first letter in the sentence. Yellow means make it a capital letter. Put orange at the end of the sentence, but not on any letters. Orange means add a period (or question mark/etc.)
    This way, it doesn't seem like he did anything "wrong" -- it is just "finishing" the sentence.

whizkid and Obadiah like this.
  4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2016

Write him a question and have him answer and then write you a question.
    Have an expectation checklist...first letter of sentence, end marks, neatness, spaces between words, complete sentence, etc.
    This will make a fun keepsake as well.

Obadiah likes this.
  5. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jul 6, 2016

I agree--the above are very excellent ideas. Another activity is to write words on index cards, perhaps one side with and the other side without a capital letter. Mix them up and have your son put them together to form a sentence. This can also be done with a collection of word cards--he could choose certain cards to form a sentence. I was wondering if he's also having difficulty positioning his letters within the lines or if he's consistently reversing some letters and words--both situations are very common in early childhood, (and by the way, it's a myth that reversals always indicate dyslexia). Dollar stores and Wal-Mart often sell 3-lined paper; the bigger the better. Play-Doh is excellent practice; I'd recommend spelling out entire words along with practicing individual letters. Manipulating the Play-Doh exercises and incorporates other neurons in the brain to build a stronger learning connection. For phonics/spelling/word reversals, I'd recommend letter tiles, easily made from the back of cereal boxes cut into 1" squares. Sometimes a thicker pencil or a rubber grip on a pencil makes pencil manipulation easier and aids in developing proper manipulation. The next suggestions will sound way off the subject, but brain research indicates that all languaging ties together. I'd strongly recommend reading aloud to your son daily. I'd choose books above and some at his independent reading level. Parents often wonder if the child should follow along while the parent reads. My recommendation is that this is a listening activity, although he should be able to view the pictures if it is a picture book, (and it's certainly not harmful if he does happen to follow along). I'd also encourage him to independently read books that are at his level--the easiest way to determine this is to allow him to choose books himself from a library, trying to find books that he thinks will interest him and that he'd be able to read. The ones that are too hard can be read cooperatively with him. The more time he spends reading, the better his reading, writing, and oral communication will become. I'm sure he's already experiencing this, but time outside in free play is extremely important in building languaging skills. I still remember my surprise when my college professor explained this to us before I began teaching. Some brain connections built during free play are the same connections used in writing and reading. Also, physical activity organically builds up the brain, and it's encouraging to know that fruits, vegetables, and whole grains play an essential role in brain growth.

All children (and adults) have differences in learning. Throughout my career of teaching I've been concerned with how classrooms rush students through skills and concepts, not the fault of the teacher but more of the system. It is so helpful when parents are able to slow things down and allow the child to take his time in grasping skills and concepts.