Help...Generational Perspectives and Differences

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tiffanyh, Apr 28, 2015.

1. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Rookie

Apr 28, 2015

Hello Everyone,

Can you please assist me with a project I'm completing for my doctoral program on generational perspectives in a school setting. If you could be so kind to give your thoughts on the following questions, I'd so appreciate it!!!

1. What is your birth year?

2. What is the approximate age of your administrator (21-33 yrs, 32-50 yrs, or 51-69 yrs)

3. What do you think are the most important characteristics of an administrator?

4. What do you think are the most important characteristics of a teacher?

5. What kind of conflict typically arises in your organization?

6. What do you feel attributes to the conflict in your organization?

Thank you so much in advance!

Tiffany

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 28, 2015

1. What is your birth year? Not comfortable sharing. I'm comfortably middle-aged

2. What is the approximate age of your administrator (21-33 yrs, 32-50 yrs, or 51-69 yrs) 51-69

3. What do you think are the most important characteristics of an administrator? Consistency and communication

4. What do you think are the most important characteristics of a teacher? Knowledge and fairness

5. What kind of conflict typically arises in your organization? Simply when people aren't doing their jobs.

6. What do you feel attributes to the conflict in your organization? Laziness, people feeling the need to cover their butts, lack of backbone

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Rookie

Apr 28, 2015

Thank you so much 2ndtimearound. I so appreciate it!!

5. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Rookie

Apr 28, 2015

If anyone else is uncomfortable listing their birth year, you could just list the age bracket that matches number 2.

Thank you so much in advance. This input will greatly help.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 28, 2015

:2cents:

7. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Apr 28, 2015

Can you please assist me with a project I'm completing for my doctoral program on generational perspectives in a school setting. If you could be so kind to give your thoughts on the following questions, I'd so appreciate it!!!

1. What is your birth year? 1980

2. What is the approximate age of your administrator 51-69 yrs

3. What do you think are the most important characteristics of an administrator?

I think administrators need to know the needs of the student body and have experience teaching. I think administrators should be approachable and supportive to the faculty on the front lines teaching students. It is my hope that working in a school setting would feel as a team rather than an us against them.

4. What do you think are the most important characteristics of a teacher?

Similar to administrators teachers need to know their students. They should be prepared and knowledgeable. Teachers should also be flexible and willing to collaborate. I think a good teacher understands that we all learn differently but are all capable. Good teachers identify the ways students learn and seek to present lessons in a way that assists students in their quest for discovery.

5. What kind of conflict typically arises in your organization?

I teach an adults with disabilities class. Overall,there is a misunderstanding as to who my students are, what they can do, services they need, and how to obtain them.

6. What do you feel attributes to the conflict in your organization?

I think there is an overwhelming lack of education about adults with disabilities and their needs. The way education is set up presently sped students age out of the district at 22. This means all services offered stop. Unfortunately, students don't stop being autistic at age 22. They still need and rely on services. However, due to budget cuts and a constantly growing population of adults with disabilities services and programs provided are being cut back and or overrun. We don't have enough people or programs to adequately provide services to those that need them. There needs to be some type of reform or increase in budget for adults with disabilities.

:thumb:

Tiffany[/QUOTE]

8. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Apr 29, 2015

1. What is your birth year? 1988

2. What is the approximate age of your administrator (21-33 yrs, 32-50 yrs, or 51-69 yrs) I have two admins: one is 21-33 and the other is 51-69

3. What do you think are the most important characteristics of an administrator? Being able to support teachers as professionals and people with personal lives in a fair, honest, transparent, and empathetic way.

4. What do you think are the most important characteristics of a teacher? Flexibility, passion for working with children, organization, empathy, self-motivation, I could go on and on!

5. What kind of conflict typically arises in your organization? Lack of communication between admin and teachers, or last minute communication from admin to teachers.

6. What do you feel attributes to the conflict in your organization? I work abroad, so a lot of it is language barrier and cultural differences, but also we are a school that's only been open one year, so much of the policy and procedures are still being figured out.

9. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Apr 29, 2015

1. What is your birth year? 1964

2. What is the approximate age of your administrator (21-33 yrs, 32-50 yrs, or 51-69 yrs) 51-69 years--i think he is 66 yrs old.

3. What do you think are the most important characteristics of an administrator? I think it is very important for a principal to have Vision. They also need to listen to teachers, students, and parents.

4. What do you think are the most important characteristics of a teacher? Teachers need to want to teach--they need to be caring. Teachers also need to be organized, smart, and flexible.

5. What kind of conflict typically arises in your organization? Work/info/data required with very little turn around time/or no time!

6. What do you feel attributes to the conflict in your organization? State mandates/timelines

My "organization" is actually the best I've worked at--very professional and student-centered.

10. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Rookie

Apr 29, 2015

Thank you so much guys. I am organizing all of your comments and your input is very helpful. Just so you know, my project is based on the generations and whether or not the input from each generation fits with the "norms" of that generation. My "hunch" tells me that we are not all as different as the research says and that we just sometimes lack communication or an understanding of one another....between teachers and teachers, teachers and admin, etc.

Can you guys give me a bit more of your thoughts?

Do you value longevity in an organization or would you be willing to leave without a bat of an eye if another organization offered you an opportunity that may be viewed as "better"?

Also, do you believe that conflict often arises from a generation gap, or do you think it is other factors that typically cause conflict (sorry..this one is kind of vague but I am interested in your thoughts on this).

Thanks!!!

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 29, 2015

I consider many things when decide whether another opportunity is "better". There needs to be admin that is supportive (or more supportive than where I am at at that moment), there needs to be a good culture in the school, etc. But I do not feel an obligation to work somewhere simply because I've worked there in the past. Maybe that is a generational thing, but if I think a place is a bad fit for me or has become a bad fit over time, and I have some other opportunity that I think is better, I will take it.

I don't think we have many conflicts regarding generational differences. Most of the teachers I work with are older. Many of them are retiring in the next few years. They're nice, sweet people, who have a load of life experiences that they have shared with me, and I am grateful for that.

I'd rather work with them than other people my age who just want to party all the time or are overly negative (not that that depends on generation, I've met older negative people as well).

Overall, we have a good team, I'll be sad to see them go, but our admin tends to hire older teachers anyway.

The only conflict that happens due to generations is friendly ribbing for each of us not getting the generational cultural references of the other.